Pinkman

Depression

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so not quite sure if this belongs here but here goes.....

I struggle with concentration and focus. Like I mean REALLY struggle. And it seems to be getting worse (I’m 39 for reference). I find it hard to complete any tasks and always flit between different things. I’ve never really given it much thought beyond “I’m just a bit scatty and forgetful” but recently it was getting me quite down. I’ve been Googling (dangerous I know) and I genuinely believe I have ADHD. Reading the symptoms wasn’t like “OMG I have a lot of these” it was “fvck. This IS me. I have 100% of these and suddenly soooooo much of my life makes sense”. Like I genuinely feel like I’ve had a revelation the last few days. I’m booked in to see someone ASAP.

I always assumed adhd folk were super hyper and I’m pretty placid most the time but reading about it has made me see the illness (and literally my whole life) differently. Just wondered if anyone else had it? Or any stories about it?

Obviously there’s a chance I get a negative diagnoses in which case I’m just a lazy shit haha. X 

Edited by RumbleFox
1 minute ago, RumbleFox said:

I struggle with concentration and focus. Like I mean REALLY struggle. And it seems to be getting worse (I’m 39 for reference). I find it hard to complete any tasks and always flit between different things. I’ve never really given it much thought beyond “I’m just a bit scatty and forgetful” but recently it was getting me quite down. I’ve been Googling (dangerous I know) and I genuinely believe I have ADHD. Reading the symptoms wasn’t like “OMG I have a lot of these” it was “fvck. This IS me. I have 100% of these and suddenly soooooo much of my life makes sense”. Like I genuinely fed like I’ve had a revelation the last few days. I’m booked in to see someone ASAP.

I always assumed adhd folk were super hyper and I’m pretty placid lost the time but reading about it has made me see the illness (and literally my whole life) differently. Just wondered if anyone else had it? Or any stories about it?

Obviously there’s a chance I get a negative diagnoses on which case I’m just a lazy shit haha. X 

I wondered about it too, but realised mine is specifically a difficulty around mental picturing. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I wondered about it too, but realised mine is specifically a difficulty around mental picturing. 

Yeh I get that too. These things are so hard to diagnose i think but it’s got to the point for me where I’d like to explore it. I’ve always thought of myself as one of those “smart people that didn’t fulfil their potential”. Like I dropped out of uni, had lots of different jobs etc but this has made me fed less negative about it all. Like it might not be my fault.  X 

Edited by RumbleFox
48 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I remember about 2 years ago, I met a chap who was interested in some 121 business coaching with me. He was mid 50's, a senior director in a large corporate, and a bit of a high flyer. We had an initial meeting in London and I'll never forget how he introduced himself.

He said something on the lines of, "Hi, I'm Tony, nice to meet you. Before we start chatting, I just want to let you know that I suffer from ADHD. What this means is that I struggle to concentrate and sometimes waffle on a bit. I also have a tendency to shuffle around and fidget a lot. And please forgive me if I interrupt you sometimes, it's not personal, it's just that my brain works faster than my mouth"

I was a bit taken aback at how up front he was about it, but actually it really helped me to get to know him. He didn't wear his ADHD as a badge of honor but he wasn't embarrassed by it either. I really respected him for his honesty and we ended up working together. We're now good friends and he's doing really well both personally and professionally.

I reckon we're al the the spectrum somewhere Rumble, and we are what we are. Be proud of your differences and uniqueness I say.

Thank you. Yeah what he said applies to me exactly! (Although I’m not a high flyer haha). To be honest I’d much rather knowing I had it as it explains a lot and means I’d be less hard on myself for not being able to concentrate m/focus sometimes. X 

2 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

I struggle with concentration and focus. Like I mean REALLY struggle. And it seems to be getting worse (I’m 39 for reference). I find it hard to complete any tasks and always flit between different things. I’ve never really given it much thought beyond “I’m just a bit scatty and forgetful” but recently it was getting me quite down. I’ve been Googling (dangerous I know) and I genuinely believe I have ADHD. Reading the symptoms wasn’t like “OMG I have a lot of these” it was “fvck. This IS me. I have 100% of these and suddenly soooooo much of my life makes sense”. Like I genuinely feel like I’ve had a revelation the last few days. I’m booked in to see someone ASAP.

I always assumed adhd folk were super hyper and I’m pretty placid most the time but reading about it has made me see the illness (and literally my whole life) differently. Just wondered if anyone else had it? Or any stories about it?

Obviously there’s a chance I get a negative diagnoses in which case I’m just a lazy shit haha. X 

54 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I remember about 2 years ago, I met a chap who was interested in some 121 business coaching with me. He was mid 50's, a senior director in a large corporate, and a bit of a high flyer. We had an initial meeting in London and I'll never forget how he introduced himself.

He said something on the lines of, "Hi, I'm Tony, nice to meet you. Before we start chatting, I just want to let you know that I suffer from ADHD. What this means is that I struggle to concentrate and sometimes waffle on a bit. I also have a tendency to shuffle around and fidget a lot. And please forgive me if I interrupt you sometimes, it's not personal, it's just that my brain works faster than my mouth"

I was a bit taken aback at how up front he was about it, but actually it really helped me to get to know him. He didn't wear his ADHD as a badge of honor but he wasn't embarrassed by it either. I really respected him for his honesty and we ended up working together. We're now good friends and he's doing really well both personally and professionally.

I reckon we're al the the spectrum somewhere Rumble, and we are what we are. Be proud of your differences and uniqueness I say.

I did an online autism test a few weeks ago and it came out as 'highly likely', which for me would explain a lot. I don't know how to go about a proper diagnosis, or whether it would help, but it would be interesting to find out. 

There's a huge spectrum and we are all indeed on it somewhere, it's just some are more capable of identifying and mastering it than others, all at different points in their lives. This Tony sounds like he's realised it's OK to just be honest about his condition and explain beforehand why his behaviour might be unusual. That's quite inspiring for me, as he clearly knows himself and he knows how to present himself to others. 

So much of what you said @RumbleFox is so familiar to me, especially when I'm struggling with anxiety to even start a project as we speak (I have it perfectly mapped out in my head it's just finding the time, space, motivation and confidence to start it even though it could change my life if I do it well).

I think it's definitely a good idea to work out what you're struggling with and try and work out how to cope with it.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

Starting a Mental Health First Aid course later this afternoon but feel like a bit of a fraud at the moment - I'm struggling with my productivity and stress.

As in you're leading/facilitating it?

6 hours ago, Izzy said:

As in you're leading/facilitating it?

I'm doing the training course to become a Mental Health First Aider in the workplace.

Edited by ajthefox
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

My best friends husband was diagnosed a couple of years back at a similar age to you. He's been given medication which is really helping him. He also took some supplements for a while which also really helped with his memory. Worth having a google. There are definitely people out there who will take this seriously in adults (he's based in Nuneaton), so I would encourage you to pursue this further. 

• Like 2

Feel really low at the moment. My grandad passed away last week after a long battle with illness. Wanted to visit over the festive period but restrictions came and then we were in full lockdown. Funeral next week.

Work's gone from bad to worse. Getting overwhelmed with the projects piling up. Almost feel like resigning.

My family are really doing my head in at home. I just feel so suffocated living and working in the same bubble all the time for months with no go-to place to get a break.

And on top that we get this sh*** from City tonight to tarnish the season

Such is life

• Sad 1
16 hours ago, TK95 said:

Feel really low at the moment. My grandad passed away last week after a long battle with illness. Wanted to visit over the festive period but restrictions came and then we were in full lockdown. Funeral next week.

Work's gone from bad to worse. Getting overwhelmed with the projects piling up. Almost feel like resigning.

My family are really doing my head in at home. I just feel so suffocated living and working in the same bubble all the time for months with no go-to place to get a break.

And on top that we get this sh*** from City tonight to tarnish the season

Such is life

The current state of the world makes these situations that much tougher to deal with.

Myself, I've been out of work for quite some time and find so many days pass by that seemed meaningless.

Trying to find things to do and keep a positive head.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Buce said:

Are you seeing any results?

Well I get a sweat up, I'm using the right muscles but it's hard to judge between round and slightly less round. I need to buy some scales. 

Most importantly, I'm absolutely determined to see it through. 

I'm other news, I got my first Covid vaccine yesterday :thumbup:

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Well I get a sweat up, I'm using the right muscles but it's hard to judge between round and slightly less round. I need to buy some scales. 

Most importantly, I'm absolutely determined to see it through. 

I'm other news, I got my first Covid vaccine yesterday :thumbup:

Good man.

If I may offer a tip? Ditch the scales and rely on what the mirror tells you; lean muscle weighs more than fat so weight/BMI are not accurate indicators of progress.

36 minutes ago, Buce said:

Good man.

If I may offer a tip? Ditch the scales and rely on what the mirror tells you; lean muscle weighs more than fat so weight/BMI are not accurate indicators of progress.

For sure - I'm relying on my trousers to tell me, essentially.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1