Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

The Car thread

1 minute ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Ouch.

I was always advised to pay a deposit over the phone in those situations to secure the car make sure that doesn't happen. Not sure if that was an option for your sister though...

Nah, count yourself lucky. Was probably a PoS anyway. Onto the next, plenty to choose from

Ouch.

I was always advised to pay a deposit over the phone in those situations to secure the car make sure that doesn't happen. Not sure if that was an option for your sister though...

I did ask her why she hadn’t put even a £100 deposit down she said they never asked for one so thought it was pretty much a done deal.

I assume the salesman was keeping his options open to see if anyone would make an offer before she got there. 

11 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

My sister was 15 minutes away from going to test drive an Audi A5 she had negoiated a deal with over the phone yesterday when the salesman text her and said they had just sold it. 

When I enquired about my Audi, the salesman said it was under offer but awaiting finance. I said I was a cash buyer and he said, no problem, if you want it and pay a deposit, it's yours. I do wonder about the phone call he had to make to the initial prospective buyer. Feel kinda guilty. :ph34r:

Is there a brand/make of car you would never consider buying?

For me it's Skoda (but only the Fabia), Vauxhall (any model), Hyundai (any model), any Citroen or Renault, SanYong.

Apparently Alfa Romeo's are pretty shit but I could never afford the insurance.

Edited by Parafox

3 minutes ago, Parafox said:

When I enquired about my Audi, the salesman said it was under offer but awaiting finance. I said I was a cash buyer and he said, no problem, if you want it and pay a deposit, it's yours. I do wonder about the phone call he had to make to the initial prospective buyer. Feel kinda guilty. :ph34r:

:D

She was looking at the A5, it looked like a drug dealers car tbh Grey, with tinted windows all round and black alloys. 

The A6’s are lovely motors I’ve currently got an A4, black edition, auto. But will be looking for an A6 avant in a couple of years. 

1 minute ago, Parafox said:

For me it's Skoda (but only the Fabia), Vauxhall (any model), Hyundai (any model), any Citroen or Renault, SanYong, 

The wife's got a Hyundai i30 and it's a great little motor - would defo get one again.

The only cars I'd never really consider buying again is anything French 

Love Citroen's, right quirky cars. C6 is a great car. Had loads of AX's.

Hate Vauxhall, so bland and uninteresting, but they do a great job, the insignia as a family car is bloody brilliant, but it makes you feel part of the rat race.

40 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Yesterday I p/ex'd my Mercedes C220 CDi for an 09 plate Audi A6. It's a year older than the Merc and a lower spec, but it's SO MUCH better. I never realised that, unless you go for top range Merc's, how overrated they are.

Love our A6 avant. Other than when I have to replace the tyres, £175 each ?

The wife's got a Hyundai i30 and it's a great little motor - would defo get one again.

The only cars I'd never really consider buying again is anything French 

I guess it's down to personal preference and experience. I would never buy a French car again, having owned a Renault Espace and a Citroen. The costs of parts and in particular, labour are ridiculous. Renault cram every mechanical part into such a tight space that an oil filter change can mean a partial engine strip. I had to have a windscreen washer pump replaced and that involved removing the entire dashboard. 250 quid later...

14 minutes ago, Parafox said:

For me it's Skoda (but only the Fabia), Vauxhall (any model), Hyundai (any model), any Citroen or Renault, SanYong.

I've worked in the motor trade for 18 years now and I would never buy anything French. 

3 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I think so, **** knows if I’m honest. They probably saw me coming lol 

I’ve used a company called Tyre Medic the last couple of times I’ve needed new tyres. Reasonable prices as they do a budget, mid and premium range. They come to your house or workplace and change them there & then for you. 

You had the A6 instead of the VW golf? I remember you saying you were unhappy with the service at Volkswagen.

7 minutes ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

I’ve used a company called Tyre Medic the last couple of times I’ve needed new tyres. Reasonable prices as they do a budget, mid and premium range. They come to your house or workplace and change them there & then for you. 

You had the A6 instead of the VW golf? I remember you saying you were unhappy with the service at Volkswagen.

Nah the A6 is the other half’s really. The new golf should be here early March. I went to the Loughborough showroom via Carwow and got the exact same car for £100 a month cheaper which shows just how much the Leicester office had ****ed me over.

We did use an online comparison believe it or not and that was the cheapest we got.

Edited by Costock_Fox
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, isaidno said:

I've worked in the motor trade for 18 years now and I would never buy anything French. 

I've moaned on here about the Peugeot I had. More problems with one car in about 2 years than the rest of my family's cars put together.

They can't all be that bad, they'd have gone out of business years ago

Edited by Bellend Sebastian

1 hour ago, isaidno said:

Don't like French engineering and don't like French cars. Since a Peugeot I had once required an eight-hour job to replace the clutch.

Oddly enough I am working on an Anglo-French collaboration engineering project, which is currently being built on site in Central France.

In eight months on the job I have hardly seen a single component on it which is French. The odd cable connector here and there, but the vast majority of it is British engineered and manufactured.

2 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Love our A6 avant. Other than when I have to replace the tyres, £175 each ?

It'll be worth it in the long-term.

You'll be surprised in how short spam of time the cheaper tyre makes etc last until there's change, even little, in their tread durability and quality.

Continental and Goodyear are the most-recommended for this reason, in general terms, and are worth their usually expensive price mark.

Tyre prices are slowly increasing in general, due to environmental regulations/standards etc.

Edited by Wymeswold fox
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Parafox said:

I love my Alfa Romeo Giulietta so much so that I've just traded one in for another. It will be a long time before I buy anything else, it puts a massive smile on my face every single day. It's fast but fairly economical, cheap enough to tax and insure, and I love that I don't see too many of them.

46 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

It'll be worth it in the long-term.

You'll be surprised in how short spam of time the cheaper tyre makes etc last until there's change, even little, in their tread durability and quality.

Continental and Goodyear are the most-recommended for this reason, in general terms, and are worth their usually expensive price mark.

Tyre prices are slowly increasing in general, due to environmental regulations/standards etc.

I thought this also when I had a bmw in 2009. 

Paid £270 for 2 Bridgestone tyres, 3 days later I got a nail in one of them. As they were run flats I couldn’t even get it repaired. Back to the garage a few days later and another £135 paid out.

Does anyone on here know anything about linking an iPod classic to a new car via Bluetooth? The vehicle has one USB port, which I will mostly need to use Apple CarPlay for Maps (as a sat nav).

Bought something for about a tenner from Amazon which plugs into the 30 pin port of the iPod (not the headphone jack). The blue light indicates it is 'pairing' but car can't pick it up.

Anyone have experience of connecting an iPod Classic to a car via Bluetooth? I'm starting to question whether it's possible, but I think it is.

4 minutes ago, bmouth_fox said:

Does anyone on here know anything about linking an iPod classic to a new car via Bluetooth? The vehicle has one USB port, which I will mostly need to use Apple CarPlay for Maps (as a sat nav).

Bought something for about a tenner from Amazon which plugs into the 30 pin port of the iPod (not the headphone jack). The blue light indicates it is 'pairing' but car can't pick it up.

Anyone have experience of connecting an iPod Classic to a car via Bluetooth? I'm starting to question whether it's possible, but I think it is.

What car is it?

17 minutes ago, Parafox said:

My 09 Audi A6 suddenly won't allow me to search for a bluetooth phone. Bluetooth is switched on but I can't activate "discoverability". It worked fine until a few days ago. I've changed no settings. Anyone have a clue?

Perhaps Bluetooth things are a bit flakey and crap? That's what I'm starting to think