56 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

VW parkway in Derby. Mrs got a car from then and I was impressed with how good they were... so far they’ve been good with me too. 

Yea the PX should be fine, few scratches and small dents here and there but nothing to cause an issue I’d imagine .....

Always good when you find a reliable dealer. As people have said on here before, treat people well and they'll keep going back.

Good luck with it, beautiful and fun cars to drive :thumbup:

• Thanks 1

Anyone know the cost involved for a cracked windscreen? And would I need to contact my insurer? Its quite a large crack some idiots    must’ve done it as you do. Sorry if it might be a daft question I’m fairly new to driving 

2 minutes ago, Harry96 said:

Anyone know the cost involved for a cracked windscreen? And would I need to contact my insurer? Its quite a large crack some idiots    must’ve done it as you do. Sorry if it might be a daft question I’m fairly new to driving 

You should have windscreen cover as part of your car insurance. You need to call them and tell them it needs replacing. You'll have to pay an excess though. You can find the cost on your policy online or in your documents if you had them mailed to you. It's usually about £60. Much cheaper than having to pay for one yourself though. 

1 minute ago, The Bear said:

You should have windscreen cover as part of your car insurance. You need to call them and tell them it needs replacing. You'll have to pay an excess though. You can find the cost on your policy online or in your documents if you had them mailed to you. It's usually about £60. Much cheaper than having to pay for one yourself though. 

Ok thanks mate. So it won’t affect my policy when it comes to renewal? Car is a golf mk 2002 

23 minutes ago, BroughtonFox said:

Weirdly enough just came on this thread to ask if anyone’s had experience driving VW Golfs and if they’d recommend getting one? Someone I know has got one and said it’s the best car he’s had. I’m tempted but need to look around.

Never had one myself but I know a lot of people that swear by theirs. The only big problem I know of on used examples is there's an automatic gearbox on some models that is prone to catastrophic failure. Cannot remember the years of cars affected, but it's the sort of thing that effectively writes the car off, it's so expensive, and common enough to take seriously. If you're getting a new one you won't have to worry about this, obviously.

If buying used check out honestjohn.co.uk, you'll soon get a feel for the things to look out for. There are a surprising number of models of cars out there (of all makes) that are prone to failures that will probably not be economic to fix

1 hour ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Never had one myself but I know a lot of people that swear by theirs. The only big problem I know of on used examples is there's an automatic gearbox on some models that is prone to catastrophic failure. Cannot remember the years of cars affected, but it's the sort of thing that effectively writes the car off, it's so expensive, and common enough to take seriously. If you're getting a new one you won't have to worry about this, obviously.

If buying used check out honestjohn.co.uk, you'll soon get a feel for the things to look out for. There are a surprising number of models of cars out there (of all makes) that are prone to failures that will probably not be economic to fix

Very interesting thanks for that I’ll look into that. If I was going to buy one it’d be a used one but a 2017+ plate.

36 minutes ago, BroughtonFox said:

Very interesting thanks for that I’ll look into that. If I was going to buy one it’d be a used one but a 2017+ plate.

Think it was older models than that, so you should be ok. My colleague has given me a lift a few times in hers which is around that age and it seems really refined

2 hours ago, BroughtonFox said:

What model are you looking for?

They're a really good car. The GTI/GTD and the R are obviously more exciting drives, but the whole range has decent engines on them.

Very dependable and well built. That's reflected in the price and they always seem to hold their value.

Seat Leon and Audi A3 are worth looking at too. They're basically the same car and might offer more value for money.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you need any more advice.

Edited by tom27111
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, BroughtonFox said:

Weirdly enough just came on this thread to ask if anyone’s had experience driving VW Golfs and if they’d recommend getting one? Someone I know has got one and said it’s the best car he’s had. I’m tempted but need to look around.

I've had my 57 plate (MK5) 4 years now (blimey) and I love it. 

I don't really have much to compare it to but they are obviously well built, reliable cars if you treat them well. A friend of mine had one (about a P reg I think) that hit 280K, madness really. Cheap to keep going generally as well, I haven't had to do too much to mine.

Depends what your needs are though doesn't it, but for me it does everything I need. I can get 48MPG on the motorway, I can fit 4 grown men in without anyone being cramped, it has a decent boot and enjoy driving it. I'd like a little bit more oomph than what the 1.6 has but it wasn't really an option for me at the time. And it's not like I need it, either anyway.

Not sure how comparable mine is to a MK7/MK8 but that's my two penneth anyway.

15 hours ago, tom27111 said:

What model are you looking for?

They're a really good car. The GTI/GTD and the R are obviously more exciting drives, but the whole range has decent engines on them.

Very dependable and well built. That's reflected in the price and they always seem to hold their value.

Seat Leon and Audi A3 are worth looking at too. They're basically the same car and might offer more value for money.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you need any more advice.

I’ve got a Audi A3 currently, just looking to move on due to having some trouble with it over Christmas. The GTD or GTI is most likely what I’d go for if I did go for a golf. Also looking at Mercedes too.

it’s more just looking around on the internet trying to find the best deal now. 

• Like 1

Some builders working next door left me a couple of nice presents on my car last year. Of course I couldn't prove it, so had to put my hand in my pocket. 

Searched around for someone who could do the job for ages before I picked one with some trepidation. I'm pleased to say he's done a pretty excellent job. Remarkable, really. And quite reasonable.

IMG_5930.thumb.JPG.830910f09a6a682c7addf558fa5061e4.JPGIMG_5929.thumb.JPG.5e36ba0a98190515dd92de6e1c0631bc.JPG

• Like 2
8 hours ago, BroughtonFox said:

I’ve got a Audi A3 currently, just looking to move on due to having some trouble with it over Christmas. The GTD or GTI is most likely what I’d go for if I did go for a golf. Also looking at Mercedes too.

it’s more just looking around on the internet trying to find the best deal now. 

Depends on what type of driving you do then really. They're both great cars.

Is it the A Class you're looking at?

If so, I'd definitely recommend looking at the newer shape, the fourth generation, from 2018 onwards.

The older ones don't really have much about them. Youd need to get an A200 or above really. The A180d has a 1.5 Renault engine in and it isn't great.

The newer models look great and the performance has vastly improved.

Mercs have always looked nice inside, but the newer ones with full digital display are a different class.

9 hours ago, RoboFox said:

Some builders working next door left me a couple of nice presents on my car last year. Of course I couldn't prove it, so had to put my hand in my pocket. 

Searched around for someone who could do the job for ages before I picked one with some trepidation. I'm pleased to say he's done a pretty excellent job. Remarkable, really. And quite reasonable.

IMG_5930.thumb.JPG.830910f09a6a682c7addf558fa5061e4.JPGIMG_5929.thumb.JPG.5e36ba0a98190515dd92de6e1c0631bc.JPG

Top job, that. 

We used to use a bloke in Wellingborough who was quick and cheap, but his work was outstanding. 

Even coming in from the prep centre, some of the bodywork could be bad sometimes. I don't know how they do it.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Depends on what type of driving you do then really. They're both great cars.

Is it the A Class you're looking at?

If so, I'd definitely recommend looking at the newer shape, the fourth generation, from 2018 onwards.

The older ones don't really have much about them. Youd need to get an A200 or above really. The A180d has a 1.5 Renault engine in and it isn't great.

The newer models look great and the performance has vastly improved.

Mercs have always looked nice inside, but the newer ones with full digital display are a different class.

Yes this is the sort of one I was looking at. Really like the look of it too. Just looking around different sites to see if any are cheaper.

https://www.carsupermarket.com/used/cars/mercedes-benz-a-class-a220-amg-line-5dr-auto-ye19ukv

Edited by BroughtonFox

I had a Mercedes A180 until recently as a company car.

The 1.5 Diesel engine was perfectly adequate, and very economical. However I didn’t particularly like the car. It didn’t feel as well refined or as well built as the Audi A3, BMW 1 or the VW Golf.  Back seats were also too cramped for adults to sit in, and only a minor detail, the cup holders wouldn’t fit a standard metal water bottle.  Small point but very annoying (couldn’t find a reusable bottle or drinks cup slim enough).

You are welcome to correct me if I am wrong but I believe the current Merc A class has Renault Megane underpinnings. A workmate has one and compared to my Skoda it is certainly not a step up except in price. Not as big inside, engine not as refined, diesel won't get anywhere near the 70 mpg I enjoy, and that enormous cliff of a dashboard makes the front seat area seem quite cramped. 

9 hours ago, The Fox Covert said:

You are welcome to correct me if I am wrong but I believe the current Merc A class has Renault Megane underpinnings. A workmate has one and compared to my Skoda it is certainly not a step up except in price. Not as big inside, engine not as refined, diesel won't get anywhere near the 70 mpg I enjoy, and that enormous cliff of a dashboard makes the front seat area seem quite cramped. 

A director i met last year had a Merc E-class, swapped it for a Skoda Octavia (2018 plate i think). Said it was a step up in terms of gadgets and tech than the Merc drove like an absolute dream. He absolutely loved it. 

Not a fan of Mercedes personally, typical 21 year old with a snapback and flip flops type of car, not as bad as Scirocco drivers though lol

The last 3 posts just show how much choosing a car is subjective and down to personal preference.

It's very rare you'll find something that ticks every box. What is vital for someone isn't remotely important to the next person.

Boot space, looks, prestige, back seats, tech, sound system, engine performance...the list goes on.

Usually, especially when buying a used car, you'll have to sacrifice something.

Having sold cars, you find something for someone that ticks as many boxes as you can. You sell someone a Ssangyong Tivoli and think "I'd never go for something like that".

But each to their own. As long as they're happy and got a good deal.

I'd love a Golf R, some people would wonder why the hell I'd spend 25k on one.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Just traded in my Mazda 3 for a Ford Kuga, needed something a bit bigger as the Mazda 3 was very weird in thst it had decent boot space but poor leg room in the back to fit children's car seats in without pushing the front seats about an inch from the windscreen.

Got a very good deal thanks to the missus. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Just traded in my Mazda 3 for a Ford Kuga, needed something a bit bigger as the Mazda 3 was very weird in thst it had decent boot space but poor leg room in the back to fit children's car seats in without pushing the front seats about an inch from the windscreen.

Got a very good deal thanks to the missus. 

Has she got good negotiating skills?

I'm shite at haggling, but I try and channel my friend who got an £18,000 car down to £10,000. It was at a Saab dealership at the time when they were going down the tubes, so they were probably desperate, but even so that's good going

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Has she got good negotiating skills?

I'm shite at haggling, but I try and channel my friend who got an £18,000 car down to £10,000. It was at a Saab dealership at the time when they were going down the tubes, so they were probably desperate, but even so that's good going

Hahaha not quite, she just happened to do some part time holiday cover work at a Ford dealership a few years back and they've kept her on the books and that's allowed us a decent discount.