Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ramboacdc

Hillsborough Inquest Finds 96 Liverpool Fans Were 'Unlawfully Killed'

Very interested to hear the outcome of the inquest.

Was discussing this at work the other day with someone who is a non-football fan and knows very little about the facts and she was trotting out the same crap the Sun was printing at the time! I put her straight on many of the points, and hopefully the jury's verdict will do the same today.

Hopefully this is the final say on the truth and that most importantly it will give the families some peace.

Edit: Have redacted the first para as it undermines the most important point which is that this should give the families some closure, and boy do they deserve it.

Edited by ttfn

The main video on the Guardian story is outstanding:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/live/2016/apr/26/hillsborough-disaster-inquest-jury-returns-verdict-live-updates?page=with:block-571f3f4ce4b0a57b991f6355#liveblog-navigation

(Edit: scroll down to the 'video into the background to the disaster')

Yes, it's David Conn narrating. That guy is a truly fine journalist, and whatever anyone thinks about his Trestellar reporting, if you see the big picture, he really is on our side.

Edited by kushiro
  • Like 2

And if that comes across as a bit cynical I'm sorry I don't mean any disrespect - the fans and victims' families have been dragged through the mud on this and if nothing else (even if the fans did do something wrong - and the evidence available to the jury apparently suggests they didnt)on a compassionate level a total absolution of blame for the fans is probably the right thing to do given the shit they've had to put up with.

I just don't think that this is ever going to be an easy one to find a dispassionate jury anywhere in the country, least of all 20 miles from Liverpool.

And if that comes across as a bit cynical I'm sorry I don't mean any disrespect - the fans and victims' families have been dragged through the mud on this and if nothing else (even if the fans did do something wrong - and the evidence available to the jury apparently suggests they didnt)on a compassionate level a total absolution of blame for the fans is probably the right thing to do given the shit they've had to put up with.

I just don't think that this is ever going to be an easy one to find a dispassionate jury anywhere in the country, least of all 20 miles from Liverpool.

Was always going to happen, we know how bad the police/ambulance services were etc and they should be taken to task but is it hard to take the verdict completely serious when they say Liverpool fans behaviour had absolutely nothing to do with it, anyone can watch the CCTV on Youtube for a start and see hundreds of them charging over the gates Although it wasn't a majority verdict, the judge appears to have taken a 7-2 one.

Edited by The Railway Man

It is totally wrong to criticise the supporters - people just like you and me - when it was the failure of the authorities to manage the crowd properly.

The only criticism towards the supporters seems to be classist rubbish against people for being scouse. It'd be a different story if it was Fulham fans or some other club.
  • Like 1

As for the ticketless fans myth, even though the evidence above counters that theory one should remember that at the time, it was nearly always possible to "pay on the gate", even at an all-ticket match. Plenty of people on here have been proposing travelling to Chelsea without a ticket. If you were outside the Bridge, and someone opened a gate to let you in, what would you do

Totally honest, I'd run in. But if something terrible did happen I would hope I myself would take some responsibility for it afterwards rather than trying to claim there was nothing wrong with my actions as other people made bigger mistakes.

Astonishing that some are still blaming the fans.

Why? Two out of the nine on the jury still do as well, a jury less than 20 miles from Liverpool.

Was always going to happen, we know how bad the police/ambulance services were etc and they should be taken to task but is it hard to take the verdict completely serious when they say Liverpool fans behaviour had absolutely nothing to do with it, anyone can watch the CCTV on Youtube for a start and see hundreds of them charging over the gates Although it wasn't a majority verdict, the judge appears to have taken a 7-2 one.

Thatchers Britain was an aweful hell hole at times !

They don't burn a Guy Fawkes in Liverpool on Nov 5th , they burn an effigy of Thatcher !

Little wonder !

• Like 1

Don't say "we" at all.

The police allowed only just one of the 40+ ambulances onto the field. The other 40 had to wait outside. Nothing to do with "how bad the ambulance service was" - they weren't bad at all.

• Like 1

Don't say "we" at all.

The police allowed only just one of the 40+ ambulances onto the field. The other 40 had to wait outside. Nothing to do with "how bad the ambulance service was" - they weren't bad at all.

He is over on YouTube mate ....lol

Well said you !

Don't say "we" at all.

Sorry buddy but the jury disagree with you.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/apr/26/14-questions-the-hillsborough-jury-must-answer

Question 14: emergency response and the role of the South Yorkshire metropolitan ambulance service (Symas)

After the crush in the west terrace had begun to develop, was there any error or omission by Symas which caused or contributed to the loss of lives in the disaster?

Jury’s answer: Yes.

Explanation:

South Yorkshire Metropolitan Ambulance Service officers at the scene failed to ascertain the nature of the problem at Leppings Lane.

The failure to recognise and call a Major Incident led to delays in responses to the emergency.

You can't just accept the Jury on one question but disagree on another as you wish.

• Like 1

Sorry buddy but the jury disagree with you.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/apr/26/14-questions-the-hillsborough-jury-must-answer

You can't just accept the Jury on one question but disagree on another as you wish.

Yes you can. As I think you said earlier, 2 of the jury disagreed themselves.

I'm with you though that the fans (as a generalisation, not all as individuals) have to shoulder some of the blame.

Obviously some of the police and emergency services tried their damnedest, whilst some didn't. Obviously some, probably most, of the fans just got caught up in events, but it's naive to believe not a single fan acted yobbishly.

lies and cover ups from top to bottom, and those at the top who were responsible for what happened thought they could lie and blame the little, irrelevant, scumbag, northern and, most sickeningly, dead football fans and nobody would ever question it. 

the whole thing is just unbelievable. what a city and what a set of families though. credit to all of them. 27 years. over a quarter of a century. just a massive shame thatcher is dead and can't see that she didn't win. cvnt. 

• Like 1