Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ramboacdc

another school shooting

On 19/02/2018 at 15:52, stripeyfox said:

I was in New York last month and got into a chat in a bar with a nice couple from Texas. After the standard questions to me like "What is the Queen really like?" and comments like "We'd love to visit London but are scared about all the terrorist attacks", we got on to the subject of guns.

The guy was astonished when I told him I'd never handled a gun, or even seen one (other than being carried by armed police at airports etc). He couldn't grasp how we didn't feel scared by not being armed? I said "well, no one is (generalizing slightly) - the criminals rarely carry guns and so neither to the general population". I told him "if someone wants to rob you they just ask you nicely for your wallet and you hand it over, wishing each other a nice day in the process!"

He was wrongly informed that all guns are banned in the UK - they aren't - you just need to demonstrate a reason for needing one and that you are responsible to own it.

I told him that I "get" the whole constitution and right to defend oneself stuff but do you really need a cache full of assault rifles to do this? 

What, you never done laser quest? 

8 hours ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Sad thing is - it might just work if they did it; but it could just lead to someone inclined to do something like that to pick another open target or use other means to attack (just like we’ve seen terroists do). 

The school had two armed guards didn't they, and one of them still got killed. Unless they suddenly become mind readers, they won't stop much. The nutters will know they are armed and choose their moments carefully taking them out first.

A teacher will crack and shoot someone, or a kid will take a teachers gun and shoot people. What next, arm the janitors to watch the teachers, who are protecting the kids. But who watches the janitor? Arm the dinner ladies to watch the janitors, who watch the teachers who protect the kids! Or lets arm the kids in school and they can all protect themselves, give them all bullet proof vests and helmets as well.

Christ, teachers get into the jobs to teach not to be bloody armed guards. The country is utterly insane.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Babylon said:

The school had two armed guards didn't they, and one of them still got killed. Unless they suddenly become mind readers, they won't stop much. The nutters will know they are armed and choose their moments carefully taking them out first.

A teacher will crack and shoot someone, or a kid will take a teachers gun and shoot people. What next, arm the janitors to watch the teachers, who are protecting the kids. But who watches the janitor? Arm the dinner ladies to watch the janitors, who watch the teachers who protect the kids! Or lets arm the kids in school and they can all protect themselves, give them all bullet proof vests and helmets as well.

Christ, teachers get into the jobs to teach not to be bloody armed guards. The country is utterly insane.

The only safe solution is to arm everyone who can grip a gun - http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/florida-school-shooting-gun-control-arm-children-students-trump-america-national-rifle-association-a8212631.html

4 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Yeah, but if everyone is armed then no nutter will try it, because fire fights apparently don't exist...

When it inevitably fails because the "good guy with a gun" is a myth, at least they'll have one less stupid suggestion to avoid asking why, if this is a mental health issue like they also claim, an 18 year old can get an assault rifle easier than they can get healthcare

1 minute ago, The Doctor said:

Yeah, but if everyone is armed then no nutter will try it, because fire fights apparently don't exist...

When it inevitably fails because the "good guy with a gun" is a myth, at least they'll have one less stupid suggestion to avoid asking why, if this is a mental health issue like they also claim, an 18 year old can get an assault rifle easier than they can get healthcare

17 years old, sure here is an AR-15 and a bump stock.... you want half a shandy as well? Sorry, wait four more years... but here is 500 rounds of ammo.

• Haha 1

It doesn't matter how bold, bright and awesome these survivors are  nothing will truly change in the USA.

It's their man given right to own a gun and they will fight to the death to keep it. For such an advanced society they are really stupid (minus those who realise a better way like these kids).

One can only hope this inspires the cant-vote-yet teens to bring about change by staying informed, gettting into politics and making change to take back the real freedom they should have once they can vote of course.

The one ray of light that might be seen out of this dark episode is that unlike Sandy Hook or any that have come before it, the amount of backlash fuelled by those involved themselves might be enough to force some change.

Millions of kids about to hit voting age in time for the 2018 midterms or 2020...and finally they've found an issue to motivate them.

4 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

It's almost as if having a gun doesn't automatically override the feelings of terror one might experience in the face of extreme peril:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43164634

Nobody knows how they'll react in combat situations until they are in them. He was a retired Sheriff Deputy, and yet some believe that teachers with a weekend of training would have the ability to take out an active shooter. 

5 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

It's almost as if having a gun doesn't automatically override the feelings of terror one might experience in the face of extreme peril:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43164634

Nah, he was obviously just waiting for back-up from an irate PE teacher with a weekends fire-arm training.

The NRA genuinely make me a little bit sick. 

I don't fully understand why people actually give their opinion precedence on these issues. 

They've got a trillion dollar vested interest, they're obviously going to suggest that MORE guns is always the answer. 

1 hour ago, Detroit Blues said:

Nobody knows how they'll react in combat situations until they are in them. He was a retired Sheriff Deputy, and yet some believe that teachers with a weekend of training would have the ability to take out an active shooter. 

It's true, you don't know, but I'm fairly confident I'd freeze and possibly shit myself

42 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Nah, he was obviously just waiting for back-up from an irate PE teacher with a weekends fire-arm training.

Clearly hadn't been issued with a big enough gun

Serial draft dodger makes accusation of cowardice, predictably:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43174069

The whole thing is ludicrous. You need good guys with guns! Turns out good guys with guns don't want to get shot any more than high school students, surprising nobody, anywhere

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Due to your icon I always read your posts in Louis Theroux's voice. Now I've got this stuck in my head:-

What, with Kardashians and dabbing, this all getting too much for me.

Are you telling me that Jon the Hat's avatar is not actually Jon the Hat?

• Like 1