Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxes21

Okazaki = Class

On Sunday, June 26, 2016 at 17:53, BenTheFox said:

I think we often look a better team when he plays, in fairness. I don't quite know why though. 

He cuts off avenues, and channels, breaks up moves and potential counter attacks and is

Downright annoying.

He Links the space between m i dfield , plays 1-2s, set up attacks during his breakup of play,

He presses, in attack or defence, when attacking he his no slow coach, he covers ground with pace,

meaning he is always in the oppos eyeline.Ignore at your own risk......Simples really

He was better against Swansea and he's important for the balance of the side but surely there's players out there that can match his work rate and offer more offensively? I know he's not in the side to be the one scoring every week but he could be more productive than the five goals and no assists from last season from a 'number 10'.

4 hours ago, Wookie said:

He was better against Swansea and he's important for the balance of the side but surely there's players out there that can match his work rate and offer more offensively? I know he's not in the side to be the one scoring every week but he could be more productive than the five goals and no assists from last season from a 'number 10'.

And this is where people just get this cringey "upgrading" shut from.

Its not easy to find players who can match Shinji for work rate and knowing when to use it - it's not just about work rate it's about positional intelligence - knowing when to press and when to fill in for another player.

Why do people assume it's so easy to replace that more than any other skill (like finishing) is? It isn't! There aren't many players out there with the work rate, the discipline and positional intelligence that Okazaki and Albrighton have - that's why they're so important to us and why neither is easy to replace. I think they're 2 of the players we'd miss most if they ever got a long term injury. 

4 hours ago, Wookie said:

There is. And he goes by the name of Slimani.

3 hours ago, MPH said:

That's what excites me most about him. I don't necessarily want to drop okazaki, but adding another quality striker with the Leicester mentality would be a big addition given how many games we'll be playing this year. If he can also help us score, it's a bonus.

18 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

He cuts off avenues, and channels, breaks up moves and potential counter attacks and is

Downright annoying.

He Links the space between m i dfield , plays 1-2s, set up attacks during his breakup of play,

He presses, in attack or defence, when attacking he his no slow coach, he covers ground with pace,

meaning he is always in the oppos eyeline.Ignore at your own risk......Simples really

This is spot on. He links everything up.

His 1-2s are key especially with the midfielders. As everyone knows he often get's fouled too. Both these things move us up the pitch. Something we didn't do very well through passing last season. Amartey and Drinkwater can pass very well though.

So our Plan B of more possession-based football must include Okazaki as he holds it up so well.

Shinji was frustrating last season when he was being knocked off the ball so easily at times, it was fine when we were getting free kicks for it, but he was so lightweight and  knocked over so often that refs just stopped giving free kicks and told him to get up and get on with it.

From what  I have seen this season he has improved massively on that side of his game, he has  been winning duels against bigger stronger players even a few headers is able to stay on his feet more, which means we get to see him delivering more rather than ending up on the floor. If we do sign Slimani, then I would hope Shinji isn't just cast aside and players like him, Ulloa, Schlupp all play their part this season, as we will need a fully functioning squad and  not just a first 11 and then replacements for injuries. 

14 hours ago, MPH said:

Never seen this Slimani play so not commenting on abillity but Okazaki makes two going forward and five when we're defending. That position in the hole is his own. I can't see any other player replacing that. Which is why Okazaki has to play whenever fit.

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

Never seen this Slimani play so not commenting on abillity but Okazaki makes two going forward and five when we're defending. That position in the hole is his own. I can't see any other player replacing that. Which is why Okazaki has to play whenever fit.

Amount of games that's the problem.

He runs round like a tw@t it is no suprise what so ever he is withdrawn nearly every game. If we are losing the likes of Slimani are a perfect replacement, if he is not on form Slimani is great competition, and if nothing else, He is not going to run around non stop in Domestic League Domestic Cup and Champions League. We need bodies and competition for places badly if we are going to cerment ourselves in the top 6-8, get out of our CL group and do anything in the League/FA cup. I think we will probably bin off the former regardless of who we bring in. 

Guest CityFan 06

He links our play up so well, so the CAM / behind the striker role could be useful for us. His technical ability and first touch is top notch, very important to the way we play. Ultimately with Albrighton and Okazaki in the side we're a better, settled team. 

I think he's suited to the league because he is what you call 'quality,' certainly in terms of ability IMO. I agree with Ranieri, against Swansea (H) last weekend, for me he put in one of his best performances in a City shirt so far.

his work rate is exemplary and he always plays with a smile on his face. he may be better suited to linking the play between midfield and attack rather than being a striker and try making more runs from midfield instead of waiting for the ball to come to him. needs more of a presence when he is inside the box and would like to see him be a bit more aggresive in his attitude to attack the ball but he is great team player who does not seek personal glory

On 6/23/2016 at 17:27, Moksky said:

Read the top post, and its not just about his goals and assists. He dragged defenders everywhere. This theread stemmed form the Troy Deeney one as Shinji was get a little hammering.

I like the word upgrade, but upgrade on Ulloa please if any

Sort of like that Slimani chap ....    he'd do for me.  :)

14 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Needs some longer studs. I used to use rugby studs until I shattered my own goalkeepers kneecap. 

He's doing something differently this season, that's for certain. His physicality (and position) is up, but his time spent on the pitch (literally) is down! :frantics:

7 minutes ago, okie fox said:

Do people really think that we spent £30M on a goal scorer (Slimani), who is going to sit on the bench until Okazaki gets tired?

No...I'm of the mind that the more likely scenario is that Okazaki / Musa / Vardy / Silmani will be treated as two platoons in an as yet to be determined way, intended to scorch defenders with pace and pressing.

Guest CityFan 06

We might even try out a new formation to accommodate Okazaki behind the strikers with Vardy and Slimani up front. I think it's possible but 4-4-2 suits us so well.

• 3 weeks later...

Slimani is on another level to Shinji & Leo. That is fact.

But i've seen lots of posts lately, bringing up Okazaki's 'weaknesses' just like last season. Only this time, they have Slimani to compare Okazaki with and there is only one winner (Slimani of course). I hope he doesn't become a scapegoat and I hope fans don't start ridiculing him again. He still has a lot to offer our team and I'm sure he'll play his part.

Okazaki is still class !:scarf:

I personally think Okazaki is a quality player with great work rate. Unfortunatly for him, his responsibility is to score goals and that doesn't seem to be something he can do regularly. Slimani is a whole new class but i still appreciate Okazaki and think he would be a great player to bring on for those tiring defenders!

Archived