Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxes21

Okazaki = Class

On 09/07/2017 at 20:15, dylanlegend said:

Most underrated player in our team. He's a pest, like Vardy. I think people expect that if we get Ihenacho that he's gonna score 20 goals and Vardy is gonna score 20 goals. Doesn't work like that these days... there is always a 'main striker' that's why Okazaki plays so well as the 'second striker' 

Totally agree ? shinji is a work horse he never gives up, maybe we coould play Vardy and nacho with shinji playing just behind them. 

He actually is that important to us in a 442-4411

how much have we spent trying to replace him?

moose 16m

slimani 27m

Nacho £25m

Thats a lot of money for a club like ours. I fear Nacho might fall into the number 10/support striker graveyard like the rest of them.

18 minutes ago, AjcW said:

It's been poo pooed before on here... but why can a striker who can't shoot not be used as a third midfielder properly? Not just as a shadow striker as he is now?

If we played N'didi and Iborra as sitting DM's and had Oka flying forward on every break I think it could work.

Would give the wingers more freedom to play higher up as well. 

That's basically what he does. 

I would describe Okazaki as an "Advanced Defensive Midfielder." 

9 minutes ago, mod hero said:

moose 16m

slimani 27m

Nacho £25m

Thats a lot of money for a club like ours. I fear Nacho might fall into the number 10/support striker graveyard like the rest of them.

We bought the right players (Musa aside) for the wrong system. Neither Nacho or Slim have the profile or the work rate of Shinji, so no wonder if they don't (won't) perform. He's not playing as a striker but as an advanced holding midfielder with 6 lunges.

And people get carried away again, Shinji is absolutely ineffective against a well organized team with a solid midfield.

9 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Love how he's flavour of the week yet almost nobody was picking him in the pre game team threads :D

I have pretty much always picked him (though I am pretty perfect in every way).  I just love him, will be really sad when he leaves.  I cannae even quite pinpoint what he does but I know that we are a much better side when he plays.  Love you wee guy. X

I have been critical of Shinji so I will praise him when it's due, he certainly added fresh impetus on Tuesday but don't forget we were effectively playing with 10 men (sorry Leo), the introduction of Shinji evened it out a bit and his energy and harrying was exactly what we needed.

I think he has improved and we do seem to play better with him in the team, but lets not get carried away.  I know that the rule on kneejerk FT is that any player can only be judged on their last game but KI, when he finally gets going, will be a big upgrade in terms of quality.

1 hour ago, mod hero said:

moose 16m

slimani 27m

Nacho £25m

He really is that important in the system. He and Vardy definitely make a great combination in terms of closing down space and harassing the opposition. Also unlike any other striker we have at the club, Okazaki has a better rate of linking the midfield and attack and moving us up the pitch - when he doesn't fall over on his arse that is.

We are currently blessed with the best batch of strikers we've ever seen at the club (barring Ulloa) but it feels like we have too many. The way we play means we don't create many chances so it doesn't really matter who we play up front. The reason why Vardy and Okazaki are so good for us is that they make a lot of chances by themselves with the pressure they put on the opposition. Vardy in particular is one of the most clinical finishers in the division (miss against Huddersfield aside) in that the amount he scores based on the service he gets is abnormally high.

I feel like if we played a different way we'd make a lot more chances for our strikers, but the way we play has worked for us in the last few years. If we try to play a possession style the top teams will murder us with the players that we have. It's a tough one because though I'd like to see us try more of a 4-3-3 (a bit like Liverpool) I don't think it would work out too well. Not initially at least.

Anyway this thread is about Okazaki and I would say that this season he is a contender for our best player so far. Scoring goals, assisting goals and generally playing well. he really did turn the match in the Cup the other night.

When he first came to the club I thought he was better than what he was showing.

As time has gone on he has got better and better imo.

As well as that there have been quite a lot of games where he appears not to do much but he's actually making life easier for the rest of the team and creating play and space by hustling and hounding the back lines of opposition teams.

Really like Shinji and it showed how much influence he can have a game now when he came on against Liverpool the other night, galvanized the rest of the lads on the pitch and turned the game on it's head. Class.

On 7/9/2017 at 21:34, Foxxed said:

Those stats make Shinji look horrendous, but those stats don't show how Shinji forces the other team to play. Stats don't show everything.

Remember this match? The stats won't show Slimani's "Okazaki assist" but it was undoubtedly a massive, massive contributor to the goal. And that kind of thing - unreported by stats and oftentimes missed by fans - is Shinji all over for me.

But I agree with your analysis to a certain extent: with a different midfield and a different central defense Shinji wouldn't be as needed.

But then our style of play would be different. And, although that may be a good thing, it tended to work reasonably in 15/16! Regardless, at 31 he is getting on - either another player needs to be molded into Shinji or we need to change our reliance.

If there is any set of stats that shows categorically that stats don't tell the whole story, it's these.

Im sure I read once that the team stats, when Shinji starts, are by far the best. Goals scored, points obtained etc.

I think Shinji has been exceptional for this club and is one of the most under-rated players we've had in a long time.

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

That's basically what he does. 

I would describe Okazaki as an "Advanced Defensive Midfielder." 

Or a 'Defensive Inside Left-sided Dynamic Option'..

2 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

He really is that important in the system. He and Vardy definitely make a great combination in terms of closing down space and harassing the opposition. Also unlike any other striker we have at the club, Okazaki has a better rate of linking the midfield and attack and moving us up the pitch - when he doesn't fall over on his arse that is.

We are currently blessed with the best batch of strikers we've ever seen at the club (barring Ulloa) but it feels like we have too many. The way we play means we don't create many chances so it doesn't really matter who we play up front. The reason why Vardy and Okazaki are so good for us is that they make a lot of chances by themselves with the pressure they put on the opposition. Vardy in particular is one of the most clinical finishers in the division (miss against Huddersfield aside) in that the amount he scores based on the service he gets is abnormally high.

I feel like if we played a different way we'd make a lot more chances for our strikers, but the way we play has worked for us in the last few years. If we try to play a possession style the top teams will murder us with the players that we have. It's a tough one because though I'd like to see us try more of a 4-3-3 (a bit like Liverpool) I don't think it would work out too well. Not initially at least.

Anyway this thread is about Okazaki and I would say that this season he is a contender for our best player so far. Scoring goals, assisting goals and generally playing well. he really did turn the match in the Cup the other night.

Good post I agree with all of that except the part where you say Okazaki links the midfield and attack. I don't think he does one bit unless my interpretation is wrong.

someone who does that role is David Silva sort of player. 

Okazaki doesn't create anything for vardy other than space. 

Im just really disillusioned with what's going on at the moment. Transfers, tactics, style of play, 1 right back, Mahrez wants out, Gray moaning. King starting ?

Roll on Saturday ay lads ?

25 minutes ago, mod hero said:

Good post I agree with all of that except the part where you say Okazaki links the midfield and attack. I don't think he does one bit unless my interpretation is wrong.

I watch him specifically quite often (have to admit, he's my favorite player) - and I see him carrying the ball out of the midfield and laying it off to someone in a more advanced or attacking position / on a run nearly every match that we're having offensive success. I don't know if I could call that 'linking' play, but it seems to allow other players to make runs that give us some fluidity on the attack. Shinji also wins back possession or breaks up the opponents forward progress a fair amount, though it often ends with him on the pitch.

Guest CityFan 06

He's quality and if you look at it we've got two excellent options in Okazaki and Iheanacho to partner Vardy, with Slimani/Ulloa offering a different style of play too.

5 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Here I go again.... If we had 3 real midfielders on the pitch...Vardy...plus any striker next to him would score goals.

Shinji would be on 12-15 season...He would squander a few, but thats no downer....

I will never put him down, even on his bad days he puts in a shift, and sometimes his 1-2s can be sublime.

I c would prefer...Vardy-Nach...or Vardy-Slim combination, or all three click, it would IMO mean we have developed,

From 7th cavalary tactics come 7Samuraii.I prefer growth, even if minimal...our tactics presently have shown little change, but this man

is a small cult come Legend....One of the few...

2 hours ago, UPinCarolina said:

I watch him specifically quite often (have to admit, he's my favorite player) - and I see him carrying the ball out of the midfield and laying it off to someone in a more advanced or attacking position / on a run nearly every match that we're having offensive success. I don't know if I could call that 'linking' play, but it seems to allow other players to make runs that give us some fluidity on the attack. Shinji also wins back possession or breaks up the opponents forward progress a fair amount, though it often ends with him on the pitch.

That’s his role in our team. He does link play, just in an unorthodox “only Leicester could do it this way” style. So far we haven’t found a better way. So credit to Okazaki where it’s due. 

Archived