Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stripeyfox

Football Manager 2017

12 hours ago, GeorgeTheFox said:

Bought this on sale because I've been wanting to try out FM for years but never afforded it due to preferring to buy Fifa. Any beginner tips? Should I install any resource packs or anything of the like?

It's not necessary, but if you want the official kits, logos etc. for the leagues that aren't licensed; you can get them all online and install them pretty easily.

https://fm-space.com/football-manager-2017/fm17-graphics/fm17-kits/megapack-of-kits-for-football-manager-2017/

https://www.passion4fm.com/football-manager-tcm17-logo-megapack/

On 28/06/2017 at 23:21, GeorgeTheFox said:

Bought this on sale because I've been wanting to try out FM for years but never afforded it due to preferring to buy Fifa. Any beginner tips? Should I install any resource packs or anything of the like?

17 hours ago, Wookie said:

The real names fix (which includes the German national team being fixed) and the badge packs are the only ones I bother with

Oh, totally forgot about the real names thing.

Yeah definitely do that otherwise there's loads of fake club and player names. Especially Germany and Brazil (whose teams have three letter abbreviations for their names, for some reason)

On 28/06/2017 at 23:21, GeorgeTheFox said:

Any tips..?? Kiss goodbye to wife/gf/kids/mates  :thumbup:

Been playing since the early 90's through the various guises - usually do about 800-900 hours before it fizzles out. I have an office at the bottom of the garden that is used exclusively for FM and occasionally COD

Curiously FM17 hasn't grabbed me the same as previous versions (maybe its me and not the game...I had a similar experience in FM 06)

Go to fmbase or similar and invest a bit of time downloading the face packs/kits/logos, etc. Makes the whole experience much better (loads of help on how to do it). Load up a half decent prem team to start with so you can sell and buy some players. Look at the tactics options or download someone elses tactics to get you going.

Have a play and then start a game and pick a lower league team and try and work your way up. 

And repeat...  

I bought this 12 days ago and have already clocked over 110 hours on it. Absolutely shocking and I hardly even realise the time go by.

I took charge of Bristol City after seeing their finances were secure but knowing it'd be something of a challenge.

First Season - Finished 8th with the highlight being an away win at Arsenal in the FA Cup when they were already 30 points clear of 2nd in the Premier League.

Second Season - Managed to finish 4th despite only being 3 points ahead of 11th place. Managed to beat Hull 4-1 in the semi finals and Ipswich 2-1 with a goal in the 119th minute in the final.

So we got an unexpected promotion, which is great, the issue is I didn't plan for it. I had to renew the contracts of most of the team after the final to avoid losing them on a free at the end of the season. My problem is that my squad is now too large and I'm struggling to sell the players I don't want. In previous versions of the game I always used to acquire players on a free, loan them out and then sell them for a profit. That seems to be much more difficult in this game and seems to have backfired. lol

Another thing to throw into the mix is that I got offered the England job. I'm not usually keen on international management on this game but that's something I couldn't turn down. I have a feeling that I may get fed up with this soon but I'll try to stick it out.

14 hours ago, Basingstoke Fox said:

I bought this 12 days ago and have already clocked over 110 hours on it. Absolutely shocking and I hardly even realise the time go by.

I took charge of Bristol City after seeing their finances were secure but knowing it'd be something of a challenge.

First Season - Finished 8th with the highlight being an away win at Arsenal in the FA Cup when they were already 30 points clear of 2nd in the Premier League.

Second Season - Managed to finish 4th despite only being 3 points ahead of 11th place. Managed to beat Hull 4-1 in the semi finals and Ipswich 2-1 with a goal in the 119th minute in the final.

So we got an unexpected promotion, which is great, the issue is I didn't plan for it. I had to renew the contracts of most of the team after the final to avoid losing them on a free at the end of the season. My problem is that my squad is now too large and I'm struggling to sell the players I don't want. In previous versions of the game I always used to acquire players on a free, loan them out and then sell them for a profit. That seems to be much more difficult in this game and seems to have backfired. lol

Another thing to throw into the mix is that I got offered the England job. I'm not usually keen on international management on this game but that's something I couldn't turn down. I have a feeling that I may get fed up with this soon but I'll try to stick it out.

That's incredible. I genuinely haven't got the balls to check what my play time is. It's without a doubt a complete embarrassment.

I'm 2nd with Leicester. It's my 8th season, 3rd at Leicester after five at Barnsley. I've really over-performed this year but I've got a lovely team put together. Been playing this 3-5-2 formation and I keep a ridiculous number of clean sheets.

But Man Utd completely run the English game on mine. They've become a Bayern / Juventus and nothing emphasises their dominance more than 6 straight titles, a Champions League last year and most ridiculously of all, they participated in the World Club Championship during a congested part of the season so have five games in hand on everyone else, and they're STILL three points clear at the top.

They're absolutely unstoppable. They won 0-1 here with a late 25 yarder as we missed an even later penalty. Done at our own game. I'm likely to meet them in the League Cup final too.

Sounds like United on my Leicester save, I'll match them but then Pogba/Nainggolan any other ****ing superstar always smashes in a long ranger and I'll lose 1-0

By "likely to meet them in league Cup final" what I really meant was beat Leeds at home in the first leg 2-0, go 0-1 up in the second leg after 2 minutes, end up 3-1 down by half time, go down to 10, go 4-1 down, pull it back to 4-2 late on, concede a 5th in the 116th minute (4-2 would've put me through on away goals after 120 minutes) and lose.

I mean I know I jinx things but for me to brag about our defence, justifiably so, and then that happen is hilarious. I think everything considered that's my worst ever result on any FM game.

29 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Exact same happened with me on one of my saves, I started at Everton and for 3 straight seasons finished runners up to Man U, then went to Chelsea to try close the gap and same happened again. 

28 minutes ago, Wookie said:

Sounds like United on my Leicester save, I'll match them but then Pogba/Nainggolan any other ****ing superstar always smashes in a long ranger and I'll lose 1-0

They're absolutely class on my game. De Gea, Mbappe, Kane, Van Dijk, Lemar as well as a load of class regens who are as good as that lot. They've got this Colombian forward worth £50mil, they paid about that for him from Leverkusen and irritatingly I actually scouted him as a 17 year old and at the time didn't have the budget sign him for about £300k lol 

2 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

There's this 15 year old midfielder for Fulham on my Bournemouth save who I had a bid of £500,000 accepted for and he's got 15 in tackling and passing already with a 4 star potential with the 5th star blacked out. He wouldn't even negotiate a contract with me tho so I know in 3 seasons he'll be sold to Man U for £25 million??

Why on earth are they selling that cheap lol 

I wouldn't be shocked if I become a regular second placed finisher. The others are all good but Man Utd are the best team in the world on my game. I can't see myself overthrowing them even as Leicester, even with a squad full of wonderkids.

That's why I get bored of Leicester saves, I just can't win the league - I'll finish in the CL spots but get bored because I can't topple United (or the other first place sides).

7 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

I can't manage Leicester because I take it to personal when we lose?It's like in real life I'll be pissed off for at least a week hahahaha

I always used to be awful with Leicester and I wondered if there was some sentimental stuff going on that I didn't even realise I was doing.

This time I happened to take over a pretty strong Leicester side but one that needed a rebuild because of the ages and wages of the players. I've done it and have a superb side to show for it, one that's genuinely top four level in my eyes.

But I just can't see how I overthrow Man Utd. I won away at Man City and we really did scrape it. They'd go there and win 0-3. They've won 18 out of 21 games this season, drawing the other 3. Just how the hell do you compete with a side like that?

Finally finished my first season with Leverkusen. Only gone and done the bloody Champions League and German Cup double! Finished 2nd in the league too but quite a distance behind Bayern.

Really pleased with the first season, and I'm just trying to shift loads of the deadwood out in this summer transfer window. Southampton got relegated meaning I could sign Van Dijk for ~26 mil to replace Toprak who goes to Dortmund. Not too sure who else to sign as locking down Tah, Brandt and a few others on new contracts after they performed so well hasn't left me with much to spend.

4 minutes ago, Ian W LCFC said:

Finally finished my first season with Leverkusen. Only gone and done the bloody Champions League and German Cup double! Finished 2nd in the league too but quite a distance behind Bayern.

Really pleased with the first season, and I'm just trying to shift loads of the deadwood out in this summer transfer window. Southampton got relegated meaning I could sign Van Dijk for ~26 mil to replace Toprak who goes to Dortmund. Not too sure who else to sign as locking down Tah, Brandt and a few others on new contracts after they performed so well hasn't left me with much to spend.

I just spunked 56million on ndidi after a year of tapping him up and making him one unhappy mother buggerer. Admittedly that pretty much my whole wage and transfer budget put he's potentially world class and a right baby. I'm on a campaign to dethrone Juve. 

1 minute ago, pmcla26 said:

Surprised you haven't had to change too much tbh, but looks a good tactic, what sort of results do you get with it?

It tends to vary quite a bit. Although I do get quite a few narrow 1-0 wins.

Archived