Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grewks

Daniel Amartey

23 minutes ago, Fox 4 Life said:

Am I missing something here? Amartey has been played at RB before and was average, he has one good game against Leeds reserves and suddenly he is as good an option as probably our most consistent player over the past year or so in Simpson.

Sticking with tried and tested safe options is why Shakespeare is now mulling over his P45.  Playing players because of their potential is the product of vision and the only way to make progress, re. Gray v Everton.  Having said that, I wouldnt pick Amertey over Simpson at RB just yet, but based on Leeds i'd be thinking of that as a not too distant option, if he continues to show the confidence and promise he showed then

30 minutes ago, Fox 4 Life said:

Am I missing something here? Amartey has been played at RB before and was average, he has one good game against Leeds reserves and suddenly he is as good an option as probably our most consistent player over the past year or so in Simpson.

He put in an impressive performance in that game. Showed things we really hadn't seen before from him. It's possible that he has improved considerably / adapted mentally during the time he's been out of the team.

I don't think anyone seriously thinks he's as good as Simpson at this point, but now there is at least tangible evidence that he can offer something more than previously assumed.

Gray is an example of someone who we knew had promise, but who has needed a lot of time to make it count in games. And it's still early doors with him, but most are willing to give him chances.

Why should it be any different with Amartey now?

I'm feeling more comfortable with Amartey as backup now having seen how assured he was against an admittedly weaker team than you'd find in the PL.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Fox 4 Life said:

You must be Simpson's brother. He is the weakest link in our team (after Fuchs). Goes forward way too much considering he is absolutely incapable of doing anything once over the half way line other than panic. Not only that but he stays in front of Mahrez instead of getting back to do the job he is paid to do. 

He is okay as a defensive RB. I have no complaints with that but sadly he thinks he can attack and then he pulls our whole defence and midfield out of position. I'm hoping Puel upgrades him as soon as possible.

Amarty had a run of games last season... he did well and was making great improvement.  Then he went to afcon.

Whatever he achieves in his carear he was not helped by the timing of afcon.  He would have been better to give it a miss .  I expect there are other examples where players'  careers have stalled coz of afcon

I might have to eat humble pie, but I still reckon Amartey can do a job for us.

If we can keep on that new regained frontfoot approach line, then he  Chilwell could

fight for that covetted position, that Puel seems to want to open up.

Too many points to play for awaiting a possible Silva move...

All our players have struggled, I see no reason to single out any single player or below avg performance.

All clubs throw unnecessary funds out...Gray could be turning his stopped career around, ditto for a few

more like Amartey, more so Slimani. W.ham,Everton and a few others, continuously throwing out even

more money, every season to hopefully up their anti in the PL

Maybe,  city could look into their lesser used players, and give them a new lease of life and motivation.

Mendi (season loan) Musa, Slimani , Kapu,Jaku and Amartey, should be still given their chances, that new corner

that future, will be on us quickly.We have invested hell of alot of money, I still want to see what these guys can offer

when we have a manager, who has us consistently on the frontfoot, and a squad who know their teammates game.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

I might have to eat humble pie, but I still reckon Amartey can do a job for us.

If we can keep on that new regained frontfoot approach line, then he  Chilwell could

fight for that covetted position, that Puel seems to want to open up.

Too many points to play for awaiting a possible Silva move...

All our players have struggled, I see no reason to single out any single player or below avg performance.

All clubs throw unnecessary funds out...Gray could be turning his stopped career around, ditto for a few

more like Amartey, more so Slimani. W.ham,Everton and a few others, continuously throwing out even

more money, every season to hopefully up their anti in the PL

Maybe,  city could look into their lesser used players, and give them a new lease of life and motivation.

Mendi (season loan) Musa, Slimani , Kapu,Jaku and Amartey, should be still given their chances, that new corner

that future, will be on us quickly.We have invested hell of alot of money, I still want to see what these guys can offer

when we have a manager, who has us consistently on the frontfoot, and a squad who know their teammates game.

I actually agree with you. I've said before (of course, on here it gets not read, misread, deleted or completely overlooked) that Amartey has got attributes. He's big and strong and doesn't look like he moans at all that he doesn't play much. This is well useful in a squad player. Someone who seems happy to be a squad player.

BUT, this doesn't mean that he SHOULD be given a chance? He'll be given a chance either if the manager wants to give him a chance or if we pick up so many injuries that we have no choice.

It was interesting to see how Puel started yesterday with both Chilwell and Gray in the 11. Clearly, he isn't against giving the 'young uns' a go. But the reality is that Amartey now has been at the club for not far off two years..and under successive managers, has played a bit part. There is a reason for this.

Nobody has a divine right to be given a chance in any team. They will be put in if the manager sees either potential in them or deems them good enough already.

We'll have to see what Puel thinks of Amartey. If he doesn't play much for yet another manager, he should move on for the good of his career.

1 hour ago, FIF said:

You must be Simpson's brot.er. He is the weakest link in our team (after Fuchs). Goes forward way too much considering he is absolutely incapable of doing anything once over the half way line other than panic. Not only that but he stays in front of Mahrez instead of getting back to do the job he is paid to do. 

He is okay as a defensive RB. I have no complaints with that but sadly he thinks he can attack and then he pulls our whole defence and midfield out of position. I'm hoping Puel upgrades him as soon as possible.

He doesnt 'think', he can attack, hes been told to so..so cut that shit out.

The problem is he covers our whole backline, better than any other defender in their own team in the PL,

we havent yet, or lets say our coaching system hasnt yet found a player who covers so well Simpsons positioning

awareness, when he himself   drives forward...!!!

This devils, lets take in turns cutting up some player, with a flavour of the month FT attitude, gets on my tits!!!

All of you wanting a "Walker" style of FB, get lost and dream elsewhere or just wait for the next generation

...FFs we have nutured a player to suit

our style, with him and no small part we took the PL by storm. We have a top player in Simpson, I dont think, I know

because my eyes are open..I unlike many dont wish unwell on anyone just to prove and get my way on Mud smearing

Point-scoring Opinion..

This so called Rash ,Simpson, has been our best and most consistent performer, since we took that title.

Oh ..he gets beaten, and oppo get by him, but then, all FBs get beaten. But hes saved hell of alot of red faces by his

all around defending, when others have gone missing.

Fuchs or Simpson, I wont chose the best both have had their good and bad days, I prefer Simpsons bad days...

they tend to be less, even compared to other RBs at the top level. No I dont think he should be an International,

Hes one of those, that are proven great club players. Simpson found thankfully his top level with us.

Rant over...I am a nice guy again..

Sorry FIF, just felt like letting rip...

Edited by fuchsntf

36 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I actually agree with you. I've said before (of course, on here it gets not read, misread, deleted or completely overlooked) that Amartey has got attributes. He's big and strong and doesn't look like he moans at all that he doesn't play much. This is well useful in a squad player. Someone who seems happy to be a squad player.

BUT, this doesn't mean that he SHOULD be given a chance? He'll be given a chance either if the manager wants to give him a chance or if we pick up so many injuries that we have no choice.

It was interesting to see how Puel started yesterday with both Chilwell and Gray in the 11. Clearly, he isn't against giving the 'young uns' a go. But the reality is that Amartey now has been at the club for not far off two years..and under successive managers, has played a bit part. There is a reason for this.

Nobody has a divine right to be given a chance in any team. They will be put in if the manager sees either potential in them or deems them good enough already.

We'll have to see what Puel thinks of Amartey. If he doesn't play much for yet another manager, he should move on for the good of his career.

The same can be said of Gray and Chilwell. Albrighton has been the 'safe' choice over those two, yet this weekend they got the chance and Gray certainly took it.

Similarly, Simpson has been a 'safe' choice despite his well-documented limitations. A little bit of competition wouldn't go amiss I think.

I'd seriously argue that Chilwell has not been any better than Amartey (or shown more improvement) in that entire period. Both are versatile players, but Amartey has had to work a lot of games in that soft center and with King on several occasions, whereas Chilwell has operated on the less exposed left wing.

7 minutes ago, shen said:

The same can be said of Gray and Chilwell. Albrighton has been the 'safe' choice over those two, yet this weekend they got the chance and Gray certainly took it.

Similarly, Simpson has been a 'safe' choice despite his well-documented limitations. A little bit of competition wouldn't go amiss I think.

I'd seriously argue that Chilwell has not been any better than Amartey (or shown more improvement) in that entire period. Both are versatile players, but Amartey has had to work a lot of games in that soft center and with King on several occasions, whereas Chilwell has operated on the less exposed left wing.

Yep wouldn't argue with any of that either. I've said before that Amartey was chucked in right at the deep end last season, which, in large part, ended in tears of course. Wasn't fair on the plsyer whatsoever.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, shen said:

Well documented limitations..where from!!!   FFs get real FT is not a Reliable  source...

Only because we have to read such shit posts. You are allowed your opinion..in the same vain

I also are allowed, and I conter all these Stupid opinions Over Simpson, and future ones over Chilwell.

Simpson has proved excellently his value to us, Chilwell has just started out on his path to forge out

a top career..I dont think he played too bad yesterday, his 1st challenge in this this position at PL level.

Lets see if Puel wants to see more. 

Amartey should also be given this open license....After the PL title only Simpson has shown consistency

on the positive side... (IMO) 

We have a group of young players, who still have alot to prove, we again have a new manager, at present,

Why should we think of any so called replacements, our recruiting side of the business has been lousy,

January doesnt always promise top quality for ££££ s handed out. Potential can drive forward, or fall right off

Track.We have a group of players, on the boundaries of the 1st team, individually mixing in a couple in now and

again, with good game time, is better time used, than sitting and praying AGAIN that we will get it right in the

next transfer  window.

jntil next summer, I reckon it would be prudent if we chose 3-4 players ie:

Amartey, Gray, Chilwell, Musa, then with a 3-5 game plan and bench time, prove once and for all, if they

are worth being given a foxes future. One sees already Chilwell and Gray will be given their reigns,

If before xmas, their potential can be realised, then another 2 youngsters can be pulled forward,

but still seeing that  Amartey and Musa, are  given a fair crack. Injuries need to be covered intelligently

and not on pure luck...

Simpson is lucky to have had Morgan covering his ass and Huth marshalling him.

He's okay nothing more than that. 

Weakest position on our team and has been since before he too it over (which is why he took it over).

I feel for Amartey. He’s had little to zero game time in his favoured central midfield position but instead covered at rb on the very rare occasion he’s been selected.

When he first signed, there was a real optimism around this young, raw and powerful running CDM that with a little love and attention could be a star. We saw a glimpse of that talent against Leeds with that Toure esque burst from deep but for some reason none of our managers have fancied him.

He needs football, there is no doubt about that. Send him on loan and buy a young understudy to Simpson who can learn. 

I feel like he has something, it just needs time and abit of perseverance to unearth. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FIF said:

Simpson is lucky to have had Morgan covering his ass and Huth marshalling him.

He's okay nothing more than that. 

Weakest position on our team and has been since before he too it over (which is why he took it over).

I have seen..in the title season, last season, and in a few games of this season,

Where ln numerous occasions Simpson clearing up behind Wes, Huth/Maguire and even Fuchs,

When we were caught out at the back, not just in the RB position, but hell of alot of times along the

Backline, covering others proverbial ass!!

Simpson like all good defenders, listens, and shares Respondibility, but hes nobody's lacky.

IMO, with some posters, not all, on FT !  he is often OTT underrated,Some just dont see, or refuse to see,

his whole game, and impotant early interceptions, or just the simple blocks, often when outnumbered,

he stands up. Of course he gets skinned, in some games often, but then again so do all the Wclass Fbacks,

Part n partial of being a defender. Thats another reason I refuse to jump on Fuchs, hes lost that bite

outside the box, but both get their 1st or 2nd tackles in, more than not, and we are a side, where the b.line

is under pressure, an high % of the game.

I reckon for these 3.2 seasons, its not our defence thats been the real major problem, considering the 

high % of possesion the opposition has had over that period. How often have we defensively been taken

to the cleaners...from  140+games , an handfull of games have we been walloped, even when playing

Turgid, trashy football. Oh we have without a doubt seen every single defender make some bloomers,

but this defence of ours, has held up against the best, where a couple of those top 5, took us rightly

to the cleaners last season with a l'pool, Manu, Spurs, Chelsea 'beatings'...

Yes we can improve, its our clubs duty, to up that level, but our present defensive players havent deserved

the continual spiteful comments, over long periods. During a game and emotional knee-jerk reactions, I can

Understand, even looking and comparing strengths and weaknesses, all in reasonable debate, but continual

Witch-hunting single, one directional opinions, is why I take the opposite stance.

Its a football forum, its foxestalk..dont make it right, so taking the negative posters right to fire off opinions,

then ditto for me who takes the self-righteous, self-opinionated route of defending, the players who in my

Opinion deserve the right that fans show a critical but fair approach to their careers ups and downs...

Cheap shots, and men more bitchy, than any female counterpart, and smarmy remarks worse than what

we see through the sports press, and just this continual negative atmosphere, through a light hearted

Social media forum sucks and grinds my gears.

Jesus, our normal spectrum of life throws up alot of crap, why dish it out in our entertainment Sources,

and then try and crucify the individuals..

Sorry I just want to be an angel, and book my own cloud, in my next Level of awareness...:rolleyes:

Oh !!!  we are posting too much on Simpson, on Amartey's topic thread

Edited by fuchsntf

I can see Puel getting a new RB in Jan. He wants his fullbacks to push on by all accounts. Simpson doesn't fit that bill and Amartey isn't good enough in the Prem to do it. Sorry Daniel, I have the feeling Claude won't be the sort of manager to keep "utility" players knocking around....

5 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

<slight rant>

Take a chill pill man. I won't take it personal as it looked like a more general rant.

I didn't say Simpson was poor or needed replacing. I only said he is a limited footballer at this level. He will not go bombing down the line, he will not pick out players with a good pass or cross and he will not dribble by players. What he will do is give you a committed defensive display, plenty of determination and relatively few mistakes. He's a defender with a capital D first and foremost. This is perfectly acceptable, but it limits our attacking ambition and contributes to us playing a certain way. I don't ask that you agree with me, but it irks me that you call this opinion stupid. It's an opinion that is held widely and one that I share.

My point was that I am more at ease with Amartey being backup to Simpson, having seen how he could perform there against Leeds. I would like him to get more chances to show that it is something he can reproduce consistently and maybe be a first team option moving forward. After all, Morgan, Huth and Fuchs are not the only ageing defenders in our squad; Simpson turns 31 soon.

Likewise, wasn't having a dig at Chilwell (although I'm still to be convinced he's good enough for what the owners and the club are aspiring for), he did fine yesterday, just that I don't think he's progressed more or performed better than Amartey since the latter has been here. My perception is that our fans in general are more willing to call for Chilwell's inclusion and praising him disproportionately while Amartey seems more of a forgotten man/expendable squad player.

9 minutes ago, shen said:

Take a chill pill man. I won't take it personal as it looked like a more general rant.

I didn't say Simpson was poor or needed replacing. I only said he is a limited footballer at this level. He will not go bombing down the line, he will not pick out players with a good pass or cross and he will not dribble by players. What he will do is give you a committed defensive display, plenty of determination and relatively few mistakes. He's a defender with a capital D first and foremost. This is perfectly acceptable, but it limits our attacking ambition and contributes to us playing a certain way. I don't ask that you agree with me, but it irks me that you call this opinion stupid. It's an opinion that is held widely and one that I share.

My point was that I am more at ease with Amartey being backup to Simpson, having seen how he could perform there against Leeds. I would like him to get more chances to show that it is something he can reproduce consistently and maybe be a first team option moving forward. After all, Morgan, Huth and Fuchs are not the only ageing defenders in our squad; Simpson turns 31 soon.

Likewise, wasn't having a dig at Chilwell (although I'm still to be convinced he's good enough for what the owners and the club are aspiring for), he did fine yesterday, just that I don't think he's progressed more or performed better than Amartey since the latter has been here. My perception is that our fans in general are more willing to call for Chilwell's inclusion and praising him disproportionately while Amartey seems more of a forgotten man/expendable squad player.

Aahhhh lovely, you cant beat a good rant, a day before reformation day.

• 1 month later...