Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grewks

Daniel Amartey

3 hours ago, EnglishOxide said:

Amartey is class and the natural successor to Simpson.

Hopefully Puel is a fan.

This thread had become a bit more real. A bit more lifelike.

Then this....

Even id said last night Big Dan had a good game and that he’d be giving Puel a question in terms of selection.

But Amartey is a big lump of a player turned full-back. He’s the type of player who’s been tried elsewhere, it ain’t worked but he isn’t too bad defensively so let’s chuck him in at RB.

He is neither ‘class’ nor a natural successor to anyone at RB. His ball playing, reading of the game going forward, skill, crossing etc etc is no better than Simpson’s, yet Simpson gets criticised for this aspect of his game.

This bigging up of our very average footballers and putting down of ones who are no worse really is tiresome on here and prompts me to respond.

Amartey will do a job as a RB cos he’s a stopper. But Daniel Alves he isn’t.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

This thread had become a bit more real. A bit more lifelike.

Then this....

Even id said last night Big Dan had a good game and that he’d be giving Puel a question in terms of selection.

But Amartey is a big lump of a player turned full-back. He’s the type of player who’s been tried elsewhere, it ain’t worked but he isn’t too bad defensively so let’s chuck him in at RB.

He is neither ‘class’ nor a natural successor to anyone at RB. His ball playing, reading of the game going forward, skill, crossing etc etc is no better than Simpson’s, yet Simpson gets criticised for this aspect of his game.

This bigging up of our very average footballers and putting down of ones who are no worse really is tiresome on here and prompts me to respond.

Amartey will do a job as a RB cos he’s a stopper. But Daniel Alves he isn’t.

This is bang on though. Amartey doesn’t offer much more than Simpson going forward and is no better defensively so why should we talk about him being an upgrade when he isn’t. 

He’ll do a job for us but he’s not going to improve the team. 

6 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Appleton says he’s a right back, you can tell him he’s wrong

Sure, you got an armoured bunker I can make the call from?

Seems like he's ended up at right back because we've got an Ndidi, and 4 decent cbs. Don't think he played right back much before coming here.

1 minute ago, The Doctor said:

Sure, you got an armoured bunker I can make the call from?

Seems like he's ended up at right back because we've got an Ndidi, and 4 decent cbs. Don't think he played right back much before coming here.

I'm pretty sure he played RB under Pearson for a few games?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I'm pretty sure he played RB under Pearson for a few games?

Daniel Amartey? Signed January 2016 by Ranieri during the title winning season. Don't think he did play right back under Pearson no. lol 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

But Amartey is a big lump of a player turned full-back.

Have you actually looked at him, he's absolutely nothing of the sort. It's like saying N'didi is a big lump, they are both lean proper athletes. Absolutely nothing like what most people would call a lump (Huth, Maguire, Wes).

40 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

His ball playing,  skill, etc etc is no better than Simpson’s, yet Simpson gets criticised for this aspect of his game.

I'm sorry, but yes they are. He might be no Kevin De Bruyne, but he's far more comfortable on the ball than Simpson, far better at getting forward when asked to and linking up play (please note that the manager has asked them to get forward in some games and not others. That's clear enough when watching the games).  He absolutely surrenders possession less than Simpson, and that's a key thing.

Does that mean I want him starting, no. I still worry massively about his footballing brain. His tracking and ability to sense danger leaves a lot to be desired. His last two games have been better in that respect, but he's been exceptionally poor a few times in those areas and I fear that will keep repeating itself.

Potential to be much better than Simpson. Dont think we can disagree on that

If Hamer and our back line werent so ponderous on the ball last night big Dan (and Mahrez) would have received it up the flanks a lot more.  Both were hanging up there wanting the ball and not getting the early passes. 

3 hours ago, adam said:

He did ok but he is another bloke who is hopeless on the ball. He will never make it at rb for us unless we get relegated. 

He appeared hopeless yesterday as nine times out of ten he was actually looking to keep possession. Yes that may mean it going back towards Hamer and sometimes it not coming off. It was no Simpson hoof. He was one of the few players last night to be very rarely beaten by his opposite number and bullied the young lad he was up against (subbed off)

1 hour ago, southfox66 said:

I'm a big fan of Amarty, but last night he was awful, hes OK as makeshift rb when you playing lower league sides but his proper position is in midfield but he's never going to get a chance there in current set up,  wouldnt be surprise if he gone by start of next season 

I’m finding myself defending him at the mo. A couple of people have said he was awful last night. I just can’t see it. Solid as a rock.

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

I’m finding myself defending him at the mo. A couple of people have said he was awful last night. I just can’t see it. Solid as a rock.

Yeah he was solid. Dense even. But Puel's style of playing needs attacking full-backs. I'm pretty sure Puel has actually said this himself - so it's not me making it up.

There's no way that Amartey is suited to that role.

It's gonna be Chilwell on the left and Simpson treading water on the right until Puel can sign a fancy replacement.

18 minutes ago, Fox Ulike said:

Yeah he was solid. Dense even. But Puel's style of playing needs attacking full-backs. I'm pretty sure Puel has actually said this himself - so it's not me making it up.

There's no way that Amartey is suited to that role.

It's gonna be Chilwell on the left and Simpson treading water on the right until Puel can sign a fancy replacement.

Yes, I have agreed with that also. I have a feeling Puel might look to strengthen both full backs. 

27 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

what ever is past is past.  Last night amarty had his hands full and played very well - showing he was exceptionally hard to get past and and on one occasion when they broke away he was sprinting back at force.  It's time he was taken off the naughty step and we acknowledge that he is an asset to our squad... id Simpson is unavailable I have no worried playing amarty.

47 minutes ago, martyn said:

Don't think he is particularly bad on the ball as some have intimated, aside from the fact he has no left foot.

He was absolutely fizzing some passes straight to Mahrez tight to the touchline yesterday, something Simpson can't/doesn't do. 

I did enjoy those passes aswell.  Never would see Simmo laser a pass to feet like that

He played very well yesterday and i’d start him at the weekend tbh.

I’m a big Simpson fan but I honestly thought it was one of his worst performances for us in a long time against Palace. He couldn’t cope with the physicality and skill of Zaha. It’ll be similar at the weekend with either Martial or Rashford occupying left wing.

Perhaps Amarteys speed & physical presence would be more suited against United’s left flank.

However, surely Puel would have tried Amartey at RB in the league by now if he rated him? He prefers youth and he’s shown he’s not afraid to rotate, even if players have had good performances. So why hasn’t Amartey been given a chance :wes:

• Like 1

He had a good game I felt. Not sure what Puel thinks about him, but I feel like in the last two games he has played, he's proved to be a decent understudy to Simpson. However, in the modern game, full backs are required to have a large set of skills, as evidenced by Guardiola paying so much for 3, which has improved their team to no end. I could see Puel doing the same.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Beechey said:

Has a killer pass though, that one down the line to Albrighton was delicious.

Yes, that stood out. I am delighted to see people changing their minds on Amartey, not that I was his biggest fan or anything, but his age + his physicality (he bullied Man City yesterday) + his obvious skill + his international performances not + never getting playing time, and when  he did, it was all over the pitch rather than focusing on one position... it always suggested to me there was still plenty of time for him to pull it all together, and that he still had a shot at being a big contributor, even if it was just as a super-utility back-up. After yesterday, I think he could play regularly, and def gives Puel something to think about at RB.

Just love how solid and precise he is. I remember watching yesterday as he ran a Man City player out of bounds, the player went flailing after trying to push through Amartey, and after DA looked at him, kinda shrugged indifferently and trotted back to his position. He was just so proficient, he should start against any finesse team, his power is exactly what we need to drag the game down to a more physical battle. 

• Like 2