Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Samilktray

Red Dead 3

5 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

are you taking the piss?

Name something better.  User scores on Metacritic are usually more telling than the actual paid review houses.  There's a significant difference here for RD2.  Although based on a smaller sample size compared to Horizon for example, it's still quite telling.

Edited by Legend_in_blue

12 minutes ago, silebyboy said:

The Witcher 3. 

I agree it's a good game, we've established that.  In fact, if you compare it's overall rating with it's user score on Metacritic, one is 92%, the other is 9.2.  That's glowing.  I guess it's down to personal preference.  Some people will have Witcher 3 higher up their list than Horizon, and vice versa.

3 minutes ago, Babylon said:

97.4% come on FFS

That is overly inflated imo.

Compare that 97.4% to the user scores for both PS4 and X1 on Metacritic.  PS4 was showing 7.9, now dropped to 7.8, X1 6.5.  That's a fairly large discrepancy by anyones standards surely?

Review houses appear to have been overly positive about the game which doesn't surprise me as RD1 was given the same treatment at the time.

Trying to unpick why it's receiving average scores is tricky though, sifting through the trash and the constructive comments.  The early consensus seems to be that graphically it's great, the world looks detailed, but it's a slow paced burner, with overly long tutorials explaining the game mechanics, with awkward controls and aiming that definitely need a tweek or two to get right from the off. 

3 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

That is overly inflated imo.

Compare that 97.4% to the user scores for both PS4 and X1 on Metacritic.  PS4 was showing 7.9, now dropped to 7.8, X1 6.5.  That's a fairly large discrepancy by anyones standards surely?

Review houses appear to have been overly positive about the game which doesn't surprise me as RD1 was given the same treatment at the time.

Trying to unpick why it's receiving average scores is tricky though, sifting through the trash and the constructive comments.  The early consensus seems to be that graphically it's great, the world looks detailed, but it's a slow paced burner, with overly long tutorials explaining the game mechanics, with awkward controls and aiming that definitely need a tweek or two to get right from the off. 

Ha ha I was commenting on how much had installed

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

Ha ha I was commenting on how much had installed

lol

This is not me being negative, I would like to think that I'll buy the game eventually, but put the hours in to actually finish this one, rather than the last one that I never finished as the boredom beat me.  That goes down as the only game I've bought, other than Far Cry 2, that I've never actually completed.

I wish review houses would give a more balanced opinion - all this hype and it doesn't feel justified, more contrived, just because it's another Rockstar game. 

1 minute ago, Legend_in_blue said:

lol

This is not me being negative, I would like to think that I'll buy the game eventually, but put the hours in to actually finish this one, rather than the last one that I never finished as the boredom beat me.  That goes down as the only game I've bought, other than Far Cry 2, that I've never actually completed.

I wish review houses would give a more balanced opinion - all this hype and it doesn't feel justified, more contrived, just because it's another Rockstar game. 

I didn't finish the last one either, got bored when I got to Mexico. But I really enjoyed what I did play until that point! We'll see... update done. I'm going in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I agree it's a good game, we've established that.  In fact, if you compare it's overall rating with it's user score on Metacritic, one is 92%, the other is 9.2.  That's glowing.  I guess it's down to personal preference.  Some people will have Witcher 3 higher up their list than Horizon, and vice versa.

I’ve never concerned myself with reviews, I just watch gameplay videos and if I like the look of them, buy them. 

Video games are of course completely subjective, so to argue over which game is the best is a futile subject. I enjoyed Horizon but that was about it. 

With regards to the controls of RDR2, they are, as are all Rockstar games, very simple to master.

I loved the first RDR but have been positively un-hyped about this one. 3 hours in though and I’m loving it. I highly recommend it to any who are on the fence. 

15 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Name something better.  User scores on Metacritic are usually more telling than the actual paid review houses.  There's a significant difference here for RD2.  Although based on a smaller sample size compared to Horizon for example, it's still quite telling.

Metacritic scores for RDR2 are poor because of PC cry babies marking it down purely because the game isn't on PC.

I really don't know why people put any stock at all in 95% of games reviews. It's the most corrupt industry in the world for buying publicity. 

RDR2 could be both the best and worst game ever made and there'd still be a ridiculous circle jerk about it right now because of horse balls and other bits of "immersive" realism that have essentially nothing to do with actual gameplay. 

End of the day it's just another Grand Theft Horse. It'll be an alright, tidy, solid game and most people will enjoy it. 

Then move on to the next great industry circle jerk etc. 

It's like Cyberpunk. I'm looking forward to it, it should be good, I hope it is good, but the hype is already ridiculous and come release it'll just be the entire games industry crowding round to wank themselves off over how good it is. And really it's just going to be another Deus Ex like RPG come FPS in a big world. 

5 hours ago, AKCJ said:

Metacritic scores for RDR2 are poor because of PC cry babies marking it down purely because the game isn't on PC.

I can understand people marking it down after a quick play on it. So far everything is so slow, everything is very weighted for realism but that just slows characters down to a plod, as walking and actions all seem slow. I know it's not meant to be fast paced, but four or five hours before you even manage to starting roaming freely seemed a drag. 

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

I can understand people marking it down after a quick play on it. So far everything is so slow, everything is very weighted for realism but that just slows characters down to a plod, as walking and actions all seem slow. I know it's not meant to be fast paced, but four or five hours before you even manage to starting roaming freely seemed a drag. 

I watched some guys 2 hour stream of his gameplay.  In 2 hours he managed to show off a lot of filler and not a lot else.  It looked good enough but with such a big game world full of so much filler it's likely to drift and I can see myself losing interest.  He spent most of it hunting the wildlife.  When he came across something original he left it - it had some sort of track to follow, very Witcher/HZD, but he took a train instead!

I'd rather have a smaller open world packed full of quality content rather than a larger open world with too much to do and too many distractions.

The AC Origins map was too big.  Witcher 3 and HZD had it just right.  This one looks too big as well.

5 hours ago, Babylon said:

Yeah it’s not the perfect game but look through metacritic comments. Full of people whinging that its not on PC

On 26/10/2018 at 17:37, Legend_in_blue said:

user scores On meta are a utter shambles not worth the paper they are written on.