Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Kasper Schmeichel

just watched the highlights of the West Ham game again and not seen much said about how important Kasper was (didn't have much to do today but vs West Ham he was very good).

One normal save from Payet's free-kick in the first half, a good spread-eagled 'make your body as big as it can be' save from close range. Those 2 you'd expect a keeper to make.

But the best one was from Cresswell's free-kick which took a deflection of Chilwell and nearly diverted it in. Quick reflexes saw Kasper get a hand to it and I thought it was a brilliant save.

Dare I say Zieler might not have been that quick to save that last one? 

Nevertheless, extremely glad to have Kasper back and delighted he's got 2 more clean sheets to his name with the help of his defence. 

He should  get the clubs player of the season.  Our best player this season. 

Liverpool barely got 1 decent keeper in Mignolet and Karius and we got a top 6 keeper on our hands.

48 minutes ago, StanSP said:

just watched the highlights of the West Ham game again and not seen much said about how important Kasper was (didn't have much to do today but vs West Ham he was very good).

One normal save from Payet's free-kick in the first half, a good spread-eagled 'make your body as big as it can be' save from close range. Those 2 you'd expect a keeper to make.

But the best one was from Cresswell's free-kick which took a deflection of Chilwell and nearly diverted it in. Quick reflexes saw Kasper get a hand to it and I thought it was a brilliant save.

Dare I say Zieler might not have been that quick to save that last one? 

Nevertheless, extremely glad to have Kasper back and delighted he's got 2 more clean sheets to his name with the help of his defence. 

Well he did get MotM in the ratings thread?

He was excellent today. I'ts great to see him now come for crosses and grab them so comfortably, Thereby nullifying any potential threat.  I've also noticed he's coming out of Goal a lot more and again sweeping up any danger. He's quickly moving into the top tier of Goalkeepers. Best of all he's on a new 4 year contract so going nowhere unless we get mega money.  

I remember we played Chelsea away in the cup and I thought he'd never make it in the Prem.

He massively frustrates me at times. Last year he did some stupid things... but he's vital I'll admit. Its clear when he's injured that we miss him a lot and we'd have to pay a lot of money for a replacement.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KFS said:

I remember we played Chelsea away in the cup and I thought he'd never make it in the Prem.

He massively frustrates me at times. Last year he did some stupid things... but he's vital I'll admit. Its clear when he's injured that we miss him a lot and we'd have to pay a lot of money for a replacement.

I was guilty in the past of thinking we could do with someone a bit better, but I think he has improved season on season and would be very difficult to replace now. Seems to have a huge influence in the dressing room too. Happy for him to remain our No.1 for many years to come 

• Like 2

I've transcribed and translated the interview done in conjunction with his nomination in November as well as I could.
If people want the acceptance speech too, I'll do that as well.

Upon receiving the nomination he said:

"It's obviously a different type of nomination to others that tend to possibly be popularity contests, but this one is from the football players themselves - the actual football 'experts' in that sense. So this is a big honour for me."

On winning the Premier League:

"On a personal level it's a fantastic milestone in my career. But my career hopefully still lasts a long time and hopefully there will be more good times in the future."

On not resting on his laurels:

"The title was won and it was amazing and all that, but it's a new season, we move on. We cannot stand still otherwise we will stagnate."

On playing in the lower leagues:

"It's a good way to learn the basics of being a professional footballer. Football is the biggest thing over here in England and even when you play in the fourth tier you have 10-12.000 spectators for every game. You play with, and against, players who make a living off of winning because the bonuses make a big difference in their lives. It impacts whether or not they can pay their rent or not, so it really means something to them. You learn about the seriousness of football, the physical aspect of the game, and you learn to appreciate the accomplishment of reaching the level I'm at now. You really value this a lot more."

On the difference between Denmark and England:

"The most important thing for Danish players, in my opinion, is not to think it's like football in Denmark. It's completely different over here, it's life and death. I cannot speak for other leagues, because I've only played in England, but over here it's a matter of life and death. It's tough, it's intense, there's constant surveillance and pressure on you and you have to be prepared for that. You have to expect that it takes time too, so I always get impressed with those that come here and last for a long time and don't give up. To me, it's very much a mental challenge (going abroad). In Denmark I believe we have a culture where you need settle into secure environments and all that and you just don't have time for that stuff here. Over here it's all about football. As soon as a club buys you, you have to perform on the pitch. They don't have the time to wait that you get settled, bring your wife and children over first. You have to perform straight away and the rest has to take care of itself eventually. I would tell young players (aspiring to go abroad) that they should know about this first."

On leaving Man City for Notts County:

"It's the best decision I ever made, no doubt about it. I was at a dead end in Man City, there were no opportunities for me there anymore. I wasn't getting game time. For me it was all about getting game time and I didn't care where. I'm no good at sitting on the subs bench at all. I don't go to training every day to sit on the bench. So I got the opportunity of going to Notts County and it's the best decision I ever made... It's the closest I experienced to that togetherness we have at Leicester. We won the league there too and it was an absolutely fantastic experience. Notts County is a huge club in England, a very big club historically, the oldest club in the world. To do it with them and again here (at Leicester) was amazing. If you're not playing, then what's the point? That was my attitude. I would rather play in the fourth tier than sit on the bench in the Prem, that's for sure."

On which people that have affected his development:

"There are many, really many. I would say myself and my love for football. I love to play and I love to train and improve all the time. Nothing should get in the way of that. I've been lucky in that sense. I've had many good coaches and mentors and teammates that have been an inspiration to me, that have helped me along the way. That has all helped me, but my own determination has always been the cornerstone and the driving force."

On a regular day at the club:

"It varies a lot. It depends on the day. I get up early and go to training, I'm usually one of the first ones there. I do the things that need to be done at the gym, prepare for training, make sure to be as professional as I can; eat right, get massage and do all the stuff to be sure that I'm ready on the training pitch. After that, it's all about recovery. My recovery is a little bit different to outfield players who have maybe run a bit more than me. My body maybe takes a few more knocks so I go in the ice bath a lot and then we have the cryotherapy chamber that we also use for recovery. Then get some proper food, go home, rest and relax, spend the time there to mentally get ready for the next game."

On life as a footballer:

"Football, if you want to reach a certain level, is a 24/7 business. There's no time or space to take a day off and not think about it. Of course you try to relax and do other stuff, but every time you go to a restaurant or eat at home you have to take care what you put in your body. It all has to contribute to getting more energy and charging up for the next game, and the small niggles you get, you always have to try to optimise things."

On the possibility of 'returning home (to Denmark)':

"I will never reject it completely, but right now it's not in my plans to go and play in Denmark. But as mentioned, anything can happen in football and I would never completely reject anything."

On year 2016:

"The football year 2016 has obviously been my most succesful ever. To win the Premier League has been a dream since I was a kid and I am so proud to be part of a team that won the league, a league which I see as the best and strongest league in the world, in the way that we did, with that bond, cameraderie and team spirit with so many players who came from the lower leagues. We worked our way up together. It has been an absolutely fantastic experience."

On the expectations for 2017:

"The expectation is to get better. To continue to improve on a personal level. Keep working as hard as I can, get free of injuries (ed. interview was filmed when he was still out, I think) and make sure I do the things in training I always do. Always hungry for more knowledge, more training, continually improve. That for me is the most important ..[inaudible]".

• Like 3

Watching that interview I liked how he called Notts County a massive club :D

He dropped down 4 divisions cos he wanted to play and he wasn't getting any game time at Man City. Very admirable.

Schmeichel has come a long way from the days of flapping the ball into his own net at Doncaster lol he's a top 4 keeper ability wise in my eyes. Delighted to have him here. 

Leader. God. Legend. 

• 2 months later...

Leicester's Player of the Season by an absolute country mile. Essentially he scored twice for us over both legs against Seville, expect it was better than that because it denied the opposition away goals.

He's improved in virtually every way this season compared to last, and he was pretty good last season! He's now proving himself at the elite level of European competition.

Because of his name and pedigree, big clubs will come calling in the summer. I just hope we can tie hm down again because just like his father, he belongs in the Champions League.

I'd give him a contract for the rest of his career. An absolute leader on and off the pitch.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 3

If you look at the 2015/16 season on the assumption 1-11 is our starting line up tonight (Kante for Ndidi) - I would argue last season he was maybe our second least important player behind Albrighton (they were both brilliant for the record)

How different is that now. if it weren't for him we'd be bottom three and may have just about scraped through the group stages of the CL. I have slated him before but wow what a keeper. 

Seems to be getting better and better, and getting to the point where he isn't far off the best in the world. I'm not saying he is, but the way he improves season on season, there just seems to be no stopping him at the moment. His passion and leadership is also top notch. What a guy! Thank you Sven for Kasper at least :blush:

• Like 1