Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
VinceNoir

Nintendo Switch

On 10/30/2017 at 20:03, lifted*fox said:

did anyone pick up their Switch from PC World / Currys? 

I've got a £70 voucher for there and even though they talk about it on their website there's no products related to it.

just wondering if they stock them.

I don't think they do, I looked in there when I was looking for one.

I got mine from Game (get it online not in store, as they don't do the bundles in store)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lcfcrinaldi said:

I don't think they do, I looked in there when I was looking for one.

I got mine from Game (get it online not in store, as they don't do the bundles in store)

grabbed it from amazon in the end and used my vouchers to buy eShop credit from PC World instead! 

Finally managed to download Mario. What a beautiful looking game. Not got far I have just rebuilt the ship. So are there any recommendations for games to buy? Ive got a few mates that we used to spend evenings playing multiplayer games and having a right laugh. So was thinking of Splatoon or ARMS. Any good?

No Col, one will do. You can detach the 2 mini pads from the sides of the switch, and use one each to play. Can either have the tablet bit in the dock to play on the telly, or set it up on a table to play on the tablet if you are out and about. You play multiplayer in "split screen", so it splits the TV in half, one half for each of you to look at. Can play up to 4 people on one Switch with one copy of the game if you have some extra pads.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, orangecity23 said:

No Col, one will do. You can detach the 2 mini pads from the sides of the switch, and use one each to play. Can either have the tablet bit in the dock to play on the telly, or set it up on a table to play on the tablet if you are out and about. You play multiplayer in "split screen", so it splits the TV in half, one half for each of you to look at. Can play up to 4 people on one Switch with one copy of the game if you have some extra pads.

Thanks mate.

:thumbup:

On 10/11/2017 at 08:59, kingcarr21 said:

Finally managed to download Mario. What a beautiful looking game. Not got far I have just rebuilt the ship. So are there any recommendations for games to buy? Ive got a few mates that we used to spend evenings playing multiplayer games and having a right laugh. So was thinking of Splatoon or ARMS. Any good?

Splatoon is ok, but the one player campaign didn't really grab me, I've played online with a mate although he was in the same room. The other times I've tried to play online with him it didn't work. I think the general feeling is that the Nintendo have made a poor job of online party play. You need a phone app to communicate no in game messaging or chat. Admittedly I've not tried for a while, too busy on Mario to bother.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/splatoon-2-nintendo-switch-online-voice-chat-is-a-big-mess

This sums it up, might have improved since launch and it better improve by the new year or nobody will be happy paying for it.

Edited by Captain...

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 15:32, Captain... said:

Splatoon is ok, but the one player campaign didn't really grab me, I've played online with a mate although he was in the same room. The other times I've tried to play online with him it didn't work. I think the general feeling is that the Nintendo have made a poor job of online party play. You need a phone app to communicate no in game messaging or chat. Admittedly I've not tried for a while, too busy on Mario to bother.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/splatoon-2-nintendo-switch-online-voice-chat-is-a-big-mess

This sums it up, might have improved since launch and it better improve by the new year or nobody will be happy paying for it.

Thanks for that. Ill keep an eye out on whats coming soon.

I am near the end of Mario but there is still so much to do after the main story so im not bothered that I will be smashing Bowser all over soon.

Really looking forward to when Metroid Prime 4 comes out. If its anything like MP3 then it should be brilliant.

Might get Skyrim on it if it goes down in price. Cant justify £50

30 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

Thanks for that. Ill keep an eye out on whats coming soon.

I am near the end of Mario but there is still so much to do after the main story so im not bothered that I will be smashing Bowser all over soon.

Really looking forward to when Metroid Prime 4 comes out. If its anything like MP3 then it should be brilliant.

Might get Skyrim on it if it goes down in price. Cant justify £50

I'll be smashing Mario until Star Wars Battlefront comes out this week, then I will be in a galaxy far far away for as long as I have access to the telly.

Save Mario for a few toilet breaks, I'm on about 420 power moons.

7 minutes ago, Captain... said:

I'll be smashing Mario until Star Wars Battlefront comes out this week, then I will be in a galaxy far far away for as long as I have access to the telly.

Save Mario for a few toilet breaks, I'm on about 420 power moons.

wow really. There are loads of power moons then. Think I am on about 180 odd. Looks like ive still got plenty to keep me occupied.

I hate Star Wars so wont be going anywhere near battlefront lol 

22 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

wow really. There are loads of power moons then. Think I am on about 180 odd. Looks like ive still got plenty to keep me occupied.

I hate Star Wars so wont be going anywhere near battlefront lol 

And we could have been such good friends...

spoilers contain total number of moons

There are 836 in total (not including those bought from shops) a large number can't be found until you complete the game, so it is not a bad tactic to whizz through each level and then go back and and explore at leisure, it is such a fun game. I got sidetracked every level exploring every nook and cranny, but now have to do it again, which I don't mind. Cappy gives you clues as you go and the bird does too. Someone compared it to Korok seeds in Zelda, but it is nowhere near as difficult.

34 minutes ago, Captain... said:

And we could have been such good friends...

spoilers contain total number of moons

Reveal hidden contents

There are 836 in total (not including those bought from shops) a large number can't be found until you complete the game, so it is not a bad tactic to whizz through each level and then go back and and explore at leisure, it is such a fun game. I got sidetracked every level exploring every nook and cranny, but now have to do it again, which I don't mind. Cappy gives you clues as you go and the bird does too. Someone compared it to Korok seeds in Zelda, but it is nowhere near as difficult.

Thanks for that. So I still have plenty to do which makes me even more happier.  I was similar where I explored loads but looks like there are still plenty of places I haven't been to. Im going to make it my mission to find them all without a guide. Well I will use the bird to help me out lol 

18 minutes ago, kingcarr21 said:

Thanks for that. So I still have plenty to do which makes me even more happier.  I was similar where I explored loads but looks like there are still plenty of places I haven't been to. Im going to make it my mission to find them all without a guide. Well I will use the bird to help me out lol 

One tip is every sub level within a level has 2 moons, down a pipe, up a bean stalk, in a hat door or costume door, every one has a moon at the end and a moon hidden somewhere, some of them are right bastards too, but there will always be a hidden moon. The good thing is Cappy will tell you if there is still a hidden moon or not when you go back through.

I'm going to try not to use a guide, but there are a couple already that talkatoo has given me a clue and I'm still stuck, you also get a toad fella that you can buy clues off, but I don't know how good those clues are, so I might save them for when I am completely stuck.

I've also not figured out any of the clue art things yet either.

Edited by Captain...

18 minutes ago, Captain... said:

One tip is every sub level within a level has 2 moons, down a pipe, up a bean stalk, in a hat door or costume door, every one has a moon at the end and a moon hidden somewhere, some of them are right bastards too, but there will always be a hidden moon. The good thing is Cappy will tell you if there is still a hidden moon or not when you go back through.

I'm going to try not to use a guide, but there are a couple already that talkatoo has given me a clue and I'm still stuck, you also get a toad fella that you can buy clues off, but I don't know how good those clues are, so I might save them for when I am completely stuck.

I've also not figured out any of the clue art things yet either.

Yea I did notice each sub level had 2 moons. I have made it my mission to find both in every sub level. Yea ive not found out about the clue art things either. We will have to see how far we get. You have a head start on me but im sure I will catch up :thumbup:

2 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

Kids are pestering me to death to get one of these for Christmas between them. Even offering me all the money in their piggy banks to help fund it!

Do you need to buy additional controllers? Usually will be two of them playing it? 

Depends on the game, Mario Kart you can play 2 player with the 2 joy cons in the pack (that combine to create one pro controller) and Mario Odyssey has a 2 player function where one controls the cap the other controls Mario.  Fifa also has a stripped down control method to play with the 2 joy cons.

1 hour ago, Captain... said:

Depends on the game, Mario Kart you can play 2 player with the 2 joy cons in the pack (that combine to create one pro controller) and Mario Odyssey has a 2 player function where one controls the cap the other controls Mario.  Fifa also has a stripped down control method to play with the 2 joy cons.

Their wish list for games is Mario Kart, Mario Oddessey and Splatoon so would be good if they could at least play those without having to shell out for more controllers!

1 hour ago, stripeyfox said:

Their wish list for games is Mario Kart, Mario Oddessey and Splatoon so would be good if they could at least play those without having to shell out for more controllers!

Splatoon is network play, I don't think there is a split screen option, Mario Kart and Mario Odyssey you don't need extra controllers.

• Thanks 1

Finally took the plunge and got a Switch with Zelda and Splatoon 2 (the in laws are going to buy Mario Odessey for the kids as a present). Arrived yesterday.

Now, I have a day off tomorrow so once the wife is at work and the kids are at school I think I may set it up for some "testing" - just to make sure it all works ok.

Just a question @Captain... or @kingcarr21 or @Phube or anyone else for that matter - in Mario (the kids were watching a youtube vid of it last night) - it says you need a "pro controller" to do a certain jump. Is a "pro controller" the two joycons joined together, and if so, does that mean I need another set of joycons for them to play co op together?

8 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Finally took the plunge and got a Switch with Zelda and Splatoon 2 (the in laws are going to buy Mario Odessey for the kids as a present). Arrived yesterday.

Now, I have a day off tomorrow so once the wife is at work and the kids are at school I think I may set it up for some "testing" - just to make sure it all works ok.

Just a question @Captain... or @kingcarr21 or @Phube or anyone else for that matter - in Mario (the kids were watching a youtube vid of it last night) - it says you need a "pro controller" to do a certain jump. Is a "pro controller" the two joycons joined together, and if so, does that mean I need another set of joycons for them to play co op together?

The pro controller is the 2 joy cons combined. You don’t really need it for mario there are certain cap actions including a cap jump that are tricky to pull off if you are playing in hand held mode. Jump throw the cap, crouch then press Y. You can also shake the controller to do certain actions which is easier with joy cons separated. It doesn’t make any real difference.