Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
OllieLodge96

Marc Albrighton

12 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I can see why Pearson never played him for a while.

People talk about "defensive ability" and "work rate" - I just don't see it. His end product is horrific.

Yet again though it seems the manager just wanted to bring him on. Albrighton was nowhere near as effective as Gray or Kapustka.

Horrific is such a great word, particularly in this instance. 

3 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I can see why Pearson never played him for a while.

People talk about "defensive ability" and "work rate" - I just don't see it. His end product is horrific.

Yet again though it seems the manager just wanted to bring him on. Albrighton was nowhere near as effective as Gray or Kapustka.

Were you actually there or watching on a screen where you can't always see what happens off the ball? Kaputska was really poor and Ranieri is completely justified in not picking him. There's a player in there with ability but if he struggles against Derby but even more against Millwall he's certainly not ready for the Premiership. He's forever giving the ball away and is so easily knocked off the ball (fairly). The latter needs addressing quickly with some strength and conditioning training.

Gray is a different prospect.  Hugely talented but young and we need to be patient with him. Sometimes wrong decision making or too much trickery with no end product.  But it will come.

As for Albrighton,  it's  odd how we all see things differently. I went in the Millwall executive lounge with relatives after (a cheap bar with a carpet haha). They rate Gray highly also and were fearful of him but also felt on the day he offered no end product. They said they weren't worried when Vardy came on but were most fearful of Albrighton!  They were worried every time he got the ball knowing their own defensive frailities and cringed everytime he crossed the ball into the box which he did. They also said he was wrongly pulled up for the foul near the end where he came out of the tussle with the ball and would have had a clear run into the box.

I agree totally with the comments 'Steve Walsh' stated about the importance of  movement off the ball. Time and again I've watched Albrighton make excellent energy sapping runs off the ball this season with team mates failing to see them and read the game. A player like Cambiasso would have had a field day with him. We're getting quite rightly annoyed with some of our players but for me Albrighton shouldn't be one of them. As for stats, they're all in the eye of the judge and extremely subjective depending on your criteria  for an assist for example. If it's an assist that leads to a goal, then we've not scored that many anyway. But he's often delivered balls into an area where you should reasonably expect a decent forward to be patrolling but ours have not.

Just now, volpeazzurro said:

Were you actually there or watching on a screen where you can't always see what happens off the ball? Kaputska was really poor and Ranieri is completely justified in not picking him. There's a player in there with ability but if he struggles against Derby but even more against Millwall he's certainly not ready for the Premiership. He's forever giving the ball away and is so easily knocked off the ball (fairly). The latter needs addressing quickly with some strength and conditioning training.

Gray is a different prospect.  Hugely talented but young and we need to be patient with him. Sometimes wrong decision making or too much trickery with no end product.  But it will come.

As for Albrighton,  it's  odd how we all see things differently. I went in the Millwall executive lounge with relatives after (a cheap bar with a carpet haha). They rate Gray highly also and were fearful of him but also felt on the day he offered no end product. They said they weren't worried when Vardy came on but were most fearful of Albrighton!  They were worried every time he got the ball knowing their own defensive frailities and cringed everytime he crossed the ball into the box which he did. They also said he was wrongly pulled up for the foul near the end where he came out of the tussle with the ball and would have had a clear run into the box.

I agree totally with the comments 'Steve Walsh' stated about the importance of  movement off the ball. Time and again I've watched Albrighton make excellent energy sapping runs off the ball this season with team mates failing to see them and read the game. A player like Cambiasso would have had a field day with him. We're getting quite rightly annoyed with some of our players but for me Albrighton shouldn't be one of them. As for stats, they're all in the eye of the judge and extremely subjective depending on your criteria  for an assist for example. If it's an assist that leads to a goal, then we've not scored that many anyway. But he's often delivered balls into an area where you should reasonably expect a decent forward to be patrolling but ours have not.

I was there. Lower tier. 

Kasputska poor? He was our most intelligent player. The space he created and passes he played were quality. Alongside Gray he was our best player.

I don't understand how you come to a conclusion he struggled? Most of them did. Mendy cannot pass a ball, Chilwell struggled all game and Musa tries but is hopeless. Kapuskta might be knocked off the ball easy but so is Mahrez. People were calling for Mahrez but he would've been bullied against that lot.

Albrighton is poor and nothing will change my mind. People talk of "defensive ability".... that ability that let the Swansea player beat him so easily last week to score their second. His crossing rarely beats the first man anyway. One assist this season isn't it? I wouldn't call that good.

• 4 weeks later...

Can't believe this thread didn't get a bump after his heroics in the week, his utterly joyous goal celebration and again today after the shift he put in and the big part that he played in getting us a lead to defend and then in helping defend it.

Well played.

^ In total agreement. No idea where it's come from but his performance level has increased by 20-30% easily. Great dink with the outside of his boot for the second, and a performance not just full of industry but also of quality today as well. Sums up the teams improvement over the last 3 weeks.

Just now, Goober said:

He looked so unfit earlier in the season. I love him when he's in this form, such an honest worker and has recently showed real quality again

Didn't do 90 minutes in pre-season iirc. He looked awful before and must have not enjoyed his role under Ranieri

Absolutely ****ing awesome now though.

If Mahrez had put that cross in for Huth's goal everyone would be banging on about it.

Albrighton is consistently one of our most underrated players but Shakey obviously has faith in him.

He put a massive shift in today and worked his bollux off. His passes and crosses don't always come off, but you can't fault his work rate and effort.

He's a very valuable member of our team and I'm delighted he's found his form again... 

3 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

Didn't do 90 minutes in pre-season iirc. He looked awful before and must have not enjoyed his role under Ranieri

Absolutely ****ing awesome now though.

Yeah I remember him looking absolutely dead in the Community Shield. Seemed like Ranieri didn't have any confidence in our players as actual footballers this season, he looks even better than he did last year at the minute

I was completely wrong about Albrighton. Pressing is his game and he's so much more effective when we play like this. Definitely not the 'waste of a player' I harshly labelled him, and he seems like a pretty genuine fella too.

7 minutes ago, The Floyd said:

I was completely wrong about Albrighton. Pressing is his game and he's so much more effective when we play like this. Definitely not the 'waste of a player' I harshly labelled him, and he seems like a pretty genuine fella too.

Pretty sure 99% of the forum called our players names at some point this season. Leicester players always make us eat our words in the end.

15 minutes ago, The Floyd said:

He's changed my opinion for the better too. I still think his crosses could be more accurate and lethal but his positive workrate has been a major contribution to our improvement lately. 

Guest CityFan 06

He's been magnificent since Liverpool (H). Another terrific performance today by the sounds of it, works very hard for the team. 

Criticism is only unfair when it isn't productive, and you can't recognise when a player has turned himself around.

Marc has been utterly superb in the last couple of games and I'd argue we'd not have achieved the same results without him.

Many of us had reservations about his ability, but you can't doubt his work ethic and I'm chuffed for the guy. Fantastic today.

Archived