Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

48 Team World Cup and Video Technology - latest from FIFA

2 hours ago, boots60 said:

There are currently 211 countries affiliated to FIFA. How about they all take part, do away with qualifiers & have a world cup every year. Think how much cash that would bring into FIFA coffers ;)

Not do away with qualifiers, but have straight knockouts, in various lower rankings, that still enables lower members to enjoy the WC, and

have the chance That at least a couple get to enjoy the finals, instead of none Never.

Only a re- suggestion on past Ideas...Eg: Faroe, Gibralter, Lichtenstein, Andorra// Have knock outs to see who qualify for the qualifiers.

4 yrs later they do the same, but seperated into another Lower rank European Group  ...Malta,Kosovo,San Marino, Luxembourg//

Seeing that they have at least drawn 2 different teams in 8 yr period. ie...Malta Faroe, Andorra, Luxembourg,.

Or they have their own little Euro1 cup, where winners and finalist qualify for their "Big" finals.Automatic 2 small teams extra

Any Int. Euro team Ranked below 100, get to compete in the little Euro1 cup.

Then do the same, for the other geograhical groups. Asia, Africa, S.America, etc

There are 6 confederations, so each supplying 2 Extra  teams, means an extra 12 teams from the lower rankings.

That would bring FIFA money into the ground level of the lower ranked countries.

Or taking that a step further...those 12 teams play in knockouts in a none group situation for a mini world cup.

2 Finalist Qualify for the End finals.  England will then  get knocked out in the 1/4 Finals by Mali, or even Gibralter....

23 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

I'd fancy they test this tournament mode in a big enough country. I'd like to see it being played in Canada, for instance. They've got at least twelve stadiums that are big enough and if need be, they could add Canadian football venues, too.

USA will get it, whether it's with Canada/Mexico or both is to be debated, but I'd bet everything, including my life, on the USA getting the tournament.

14 minutes ago, Detroit Blues said:

I have a feeling it will be jointly hosted between the US and Canada.

It seems to be pointing in that direction. What do you think in terms of stadia, if we're going to play fantasy for a moment?

Skydome

BC Place

Montreal Olympic Stadium

Meadowlands

Dolphins Stadium

Qwest Field

City of Champions Stadium

Cowboys Stadium

Ford Field

Rose Bowl (mainly cause the 94 final was there)

Las Vegas??? (If an NFL team moved there)

Superdome

I feel like San Fran, Chicago and Reliant Stadium might also be in the mix. Would they even do dedicated College football arenas?

18 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

It seems to be pointing in that direction. What do you think in terms of stadia, if we're going to play fantasy for a moment?

Skydome

BC Place

Montreal Olympic Stadium

Meadowlands

Dolphins Stadium

Qwest Field

City of Champions Stadium

Cowboys Stadium

Ford Field

Rose Bowl (mainly cause the 94 final was there)

Las Vegas??? (If an NFL team moved there)

Superdome

I feel like San Fran, Chicago and Reliant Stadium might also be in the mix. Would they even do dedicated College football arenas?

They used College Football Stadiums in 1994 when the US hosted the world cup. The Rose Bowl (which you mentioned) and Stanford's Stadium are both college football stadiums that hosted world cup games. Many of them are actually bigger than NFL stadiums. For example Ohio Stadium and "The Big House" in Ann Arbor, Michigan, both have 110,000+ capacity. 

Las Vegas will definitely have a NFL Team by 2026. So I would definitely have them in the mix. 

Since it would be a joint bid, I am pretty sure we would see Toronto (Rogers Centre), Vancouver (BC Place) and Montreal (Olympic Stadium) all host matches. 

Given the number of matches would increase with the expansion, and the fact that the stadiums would be able to hold so many people, you would expect the attendance record to be smashed. 

9 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

I'd fancy they test this tournament mode in a big enough country. I'd like to see it being played in Canada, for instance. They've got at least twelve stadiums that are big enough and if need be, they could add Canadian football venues, too.

The good: We'll finally get to play in the World Cup.

The bad: We'll actually have to play in the World Cup.

• 2 months later...

I didn't see this in here. News on the breakdown of qualification slots by confederation:

http://fifa.pressfire.net/newsletter/newsletter?id=3969&html=1

The Bureau of the FIFA Council – comprised of the FIFA President and the presidents of each of the six confederations – convened this Thursday at the Home of FIFA in Zurich and agreed on a proposed slot allocation for the FIFA World Cup™ as of the 2026 edition.

The recommendation will now be submitted for the ratification of the FIFA Council, whose next meeting is scheduled for 9 May in Manama, Bahrain, two days prior to the 67th FIFA Congress.

After 10 January, when the FIFA Council unanimously decided on expanding the FIFA World Cup to a 48-team competition, FIFA, the confederations and the member associations engaged in a consultation process, which resulted in the proposal recommended by the Bureau of the Council. According to this proposal, the split of direct berths is as follows:

Slot allocation*

• AFC: 8 direct slots

• CAF: 9 direct slots

• CONCACAF: 6 direct slots

• CONMEBOL: 6 direct slots

• OFC: 1 direct slot

• UEFA: 16 direct slots

* The host country would also automatically qualify for the FIFA World Cup, and its slot would be taken from the quota of its confederation. In the event of co-hosting, the number of host countries to qualify automatically would be decided by the FIFA Council.

Play-off tournament for two remaining slots

The above allocation accounts for 46 of the 48 participating teams. The proposal reviewed by the Bureau of the Council includes a play-off tournament involving six teams to decide the last two FIFA World Cup berths:

• One team per confederation with the exception of UEFA + one additional team from the confederation of the host country;

• Two teams to be seeded based on the FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking. The seeded teams will play for a FIFA World Cup berth against the winners of the first two knockout games involving the four unseeded teams;

• Tournament to be played in the host country(ies) and to be used as a test event for the FIFA World Cup;

• Existing play-off window of November 2025 suggested as tentative date for the 2026 edition.

• 1 year later...