Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Bear

Your top 10 sitcoms

Can I just ask why some people prefer the US version of the office to the original UK? I've only seen the first one of the American series and thought they pretty much copied the original word for word. Much prefer Brent and the characters in the UK version

50 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Can I just ask why some people prefer the US version of the office to the original UK? I've only seen the first one of the American series and thought they pretty much copied the original word for word. Much prefer Brent and the characters in the UK version

I quite like the UK office but prefer the US version and the characters. Michael Scott and Dwight are amongst my favourites. It did go a bit shite after Steve Carrell left though. 

20 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

You need to carry on watching really. The first series was always going to be very similar to establish the characters etc. But from the end of series 2 to about the end of series 6 it is absolutely brilliant. Once they go their own way with it, it improved a lot. Doesn't touch the UK one for me, but by the time the US series ended they were totally different. 

14 minutes ago, Simi said:

You need to carry on watching really. The first series was always going to be very similar to establish the characters etc. But from the end of series 2 to about the end of series 6 it is absolutely brilliant. Once they go their own way with it, it improved a lot. Doesn't touch the UK one for me, but by the time the US series ended they were totally different. 

Ah I might give it a proper go then. What makes the UK so brilliant for me is the cringability of it. Can't imagine Americans doing that so well.

10 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Ah I might give it a proper go then. What makes the UK so brilliant for me is the cringability of it. Can't imagine Americans doing that so well.

Wait until you watch "Scott's Tots", it is so bad for cringe I can't even re-watch it. Brits are the masters at making you cringe, but the US office makes me cringe a lot too.

1 hour ago, foxfanazer said:

The very first episode of the US version was a direct copy of the first episode of the original version. I think that's the only episode that is a copy.

I quite like the US version, but you have to treat it as its own thing. As you might expect, it lacks the subtlety of the original, and the fact it is way too far-fetched to be mistaken for a documentary like the original was is a bit off-putting for me.

I think the original is a masterpiece of a sitcom. The US remake is alright. It does have laughs.

7 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

One not mentioned that would be in my top 10 is The Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin.

The vast majority of the posters on here probably weren't even born when that was on tbf. Showing your age there mate! :whistle:

Having checked at some of these 80's sitcoms on YouTube, i'm now being inundated with recommended videos for shows like The Gaffer, Home James, Girls On Top, Brush Strokes, and Bottle Boys (don't remember than one). Certainly were a lot of shit sitcoms back in the day.

2 minutes ago, separator said:

Having checked at some of these 80's sitcoms on YouTube, i'm now being inundated with recommended videos for shows like The Gaffer, Home James, Girls On Top, Brush Strokes, and Bottle Boys (don't remember than one). Certainly were a lot of shit sitcoms back in the day.

Crikey, I'd forgotten all about Brush Strokes - brilliant..

My Mum had a bit of a crush on the main character Jacko back then I remember! lol 

9 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Crikey, I'd forgotten all about Brush Strokes - brilliant..

My Mum had a bit of a crush on the main character Jacko back then I remember! lol 

Had a decent theme tune as well, Dexys Midnight Runners

Archived