Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Net providers to begin sending 'pirate' emails

6 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

No I'd want the police to try and stop it.  And since they had no interest in finding the guy who stole a couple of grand from friends of mine - not very well off friends I'll add (the money stolen amounted to the majority of their savings) - all because we couldn't give them the guy's home address when I took them down the station to report it, then I don't particularly want them to prioritise cracking down on low-income people who pirate films (slightly denting some millionaires' incomes) when they clearly have more important concerns.

It won't actually be the govt that's doing this themselves, it'll be a govt agency, like the police are. Now I think we'd all admit that the police are a bit crap but that doesn't mean we should ignore all wrongdoing.

20 hours ago, davieG said:

People get mad about this and it distracts them from our shite education, health,  transport  and general economic well being. :P

All of which are better than they have ever been in the history of mankind.  Dont let that stop you though!

Just now, Webbo said:

It won't actually be the govt that's doing this themselves, it'll be a govt agency, like the police are. Now I think we'd all admit that the police are a bit crap but that doesn't mean we should ignore all wrongdoing.

Right, but given that clearly there's a need to make judgement calls whether a crime's worth engaging with (ie. like how they decided it wasn't worth looking at my friends' case given the sum involved and the need for investigative policework to find this thief instead of being given his location on a plate) then I'd strongly argue that not paying to see a film which is probably a bit shit anyway should be very low down on the list of priorities.  Maybe if Hollywood offered to refund us whenever we went to the effort of going to town and watching a movie which turned out to be yet another uninspired re-hash of the same old tired tropes then we might start to think that people should feel bad for ripping the movie companies off but until then...  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

12 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Right, but given that clearly there's a need to make judgement calls whether a crime's worth engaging with (ie. like how they decided it wasn't worth looking at my friends' case given the sum involved and the need for investigative policework to find this thief instead of being given his location on a plate) then I'd strongly argue that not paying to see a film which is probably a bit shit anyway should be very low down on the list of priorities.  Maybe if Hollywood offered to refund us whenever we went to the effort of going to town and watching a movie which turned out to be yet another uninspired re-hash of the same old tired tropes then we might start to think that people should feel bad for ripping the movie companies off but until then...  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I never said it was crime of the century. I do it and I'm not planning on stopping but I can totally understand why the rights owners would want to protect their property.

21 hours ago, Webbo said:

The people who make these films/TV programmes, who own the rights to sport spend 100s of millions on them. Is it any surprise they don't want us getting them for free?If they can't make any money they won't spend the money in the first place and there'll be no films/tv/sports to pirate.

I've done more than anyone to push Kodi on here, I'm just as guilty as anyone else but I don't blame the companies/govt trying to stop it. I can't understand why someone would get angry about it.

They also make millions regardless

I honestly think, in fact I know, that these companies can stop pirate copies of their movies if they want to. sometimes you cannot  all get a pirate movie until its on DVD, and sometimes you can, i suspect they use pirate copies to generate discussion about their movie and get bums on seats.

It's hard to feel any sympathy for these producers losing a small amount of revenue to pirate copies of media, when they are still raking it in. **** em

19 minutes ago, Beliall said:

They also make millions regardless

I honestly think, in fact I know, that these companies can stop pirate copies of their movies if they want to. sometimes you cannot  all get a pirate movie until its on DVD, and sometimes you can, i suspect they use pirate copies to generate discussion about their movie and get bums on seats.

It's hard to feel any sympathy for these producers losing a small amount of revenue to pirate copies of media, when they are still raking it in. **** em

So you watch a streamed copy instead of buying/renting the DVD. You don't go into Tesco and help yourself to some groceries because  Tesco's are a profitable company. Anyone would think these film companies were ripping you off asking you to pay , nobody is forcing you to watch.

Guest seanfox778

It's also annoying how we pay the same price for Netflix as Americans and Canadians but their content is so much better, ridiculously better. Now they've stopped you using VPN's so you can only see the British Netflix which rarely updates although to be fair they've put a few decent films/shows on in the last couple of months but that doesn't make it fair lol

24 minutes ago, Webbo said:

So you watch a streamed copy instead of buying/renting the DVD. You don't go into Tesco and help yourself to some groceries because  Tesco's are a profitable company. Anyone would think these film companies were ripping you off asking you to pay , nobody is forcing you to watch.

I dont have a problem with them asking to be paid, as long they dont mind me telling them to piss off. And i have walked into tesco and helped myself to groceries in more desperate times. No guilt there either

22 hours ago, Innovindil said:

I've been downloading music books and films since the Internet was made. Not going to stop now. 

#nofuchsgiven

Same, as they say one problem solved is another problem caused.. something like that.

if they stopped making so much shite people might actually want to pay for some of the movies and music out there.

2 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

All of which are better than they have ever been in the history of mankind.  Dont let that stop you though!

A bit whoosh there Jon :dunno:

I thought the :P suggested that it was tongue in cheek.

15 hours ago, Beliall said:

You don't go into Tesco and help yourself to some groceries because  Tesco's are a profitable company.

I pirate everything because there is basically 0% chance of getting caught and it keeps my money in my bank account. If shop lifting was as risk free as pirating I sure as shit would be strapping legs of lamb to myself and waddling out.

• 4 weeks later...

There's not even any need to buy a 'fully loaded' box IMO, I did that once and it just loaded me up with loads of stuff I had no interest in using. When I got a Fire TV Stick, I did it all myself - added Exodus/Specto/SALTS for TV & Film, Sportsmania for Football, then changed to a new skin and that was about it! Runs a lot smoother without hundreds of add-ons.

On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 19:07, AKCJ said:

Why is the government such a spoil sport?

I download illegally all the time but I would never consider it a right. What happens when no one is paying for content? The content isn't made of course.

10 minutes ago, Benguin said:

I download illegally all the time but I would never consider it a right. What happens when no one is paying for content? The content isn't made of course.

I was only being sarcastic. Of course we should pay for content, but I would argue that content providers should be making efforts to reduce their prices.

Sky Sports for example have all the money in the world their customers are continually rinsed.

3 minutes ago, lgfualol said:

Companies just need to get wid the times and offer something better than streaming/downloading. Netflix has already done that, it stopped me streaming shows off dodgy sites almost immediately.

I want a Netflix for sports.

This. Their business model is now wildly outdated, On-demand streaming is the way to go rather than paying for channel bundles and the sooner they realise that and actually adapt rather than trying to shore what they already have up in court the sooner they'll stop losing money through not-quite-legit streaming.

1 hour ago, lgfualol said:

Companies just need to get wid the times and offer something better than streaming/downloading. Netflix has already done that, it stopped me streaming shows off dodgy sites almost immediately.

I want a Netflix for sports.

Netflix for sports would be superb.

Archived