Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
age2710

Wilfred Ndidi

2 hours ago, ZeGuy said:

That would be a mistake in my opinion.

Morgan is past his best and Benny is better, especially with his feet. He just needs more game time. Give the captaincy to Kasper, he's more made for that role than Wes.

Last summer was catastrophic (as well as January, with ehm... Molla Wague) and if we don't get at least one new CB then we're in trouble next season.

Agreed, the summer was a disaster but not January.  We got Ndidi in January and he just might have made the difference and saved our premier league status.

6 hours ago, Thracian said:

Absolutely., except I'd say Drinkwater's waning too and lacks too much of what we need from a midfielder complimenting N'didi. It's not that he just needs a break either, he's just not sharp enough, creative enough or a good enough marksman to take us further.

Yes, he'd still serve adequately as a squad player but I'd doubt he'd want that any more than James, Mendy or Amartey.

I don't know about Kingy. He seems to accept being a squad member and. as such, is competently reliable for no other reason than he moves the ball quickly and accurately on the floor, without any undue risk of losing it.

But really we need much more than that now, to keep pace with the big boys. Somehow we need to move forward from having a first team squad and adequate reserves to having a first team squad and equal or very nearly equal replacements.        

This is where it gets difficult. Top players might be prepared to sit on the bench for Chelsea, but would they for Leicester?

23 minutes ago, murphy said:

Agreed, the summer was a disaster but not January.  We got Ndidi in January and he just might have made the difference and saved our premier league status.

Agreed. Signing Ndidi was a steal and I also think he has saved our season. I meant more the lack of any decent signing at the back, ending with a guy who didn't play for months and got injured in his first game. Not doubting his abilities since we saw too little, but it is imo a classic example of panic buy.

1 hour ago, murphy said:

That's right he was easily our best player and the only one to raise his game from the previous year.  I think he has been carrying an injury for some time now.

I think he's probably pretty exhausted by the whole season.  I think he'll still be an important player for us next season.

1 hour ago, ZeGuy said:

Agreed. Signing Ndidi was a steal and I also think he has saved our season. I meant more the lack of any decent signing at the back, ending with a guy who didn't play for months and got injured in his first game. Not doubting his abilities since we saw too little, but it is imo a classic example of panic buy.

January was a disaster. The Ndidi deal was sorted early December. We then had December and January to sort a CB out and get Wague on loan at the deadline.

I truly feel we could have finished top six this season. But our fvcked up summer and CR's tactics put an end to that. But another summer like last we could be lucky and just survive.

Be interesting how this summer goes. And if it is fvcked up again will rudders pay the price and get the boot.

5 hours ago, ZeGuy said:

That would be a mistake in my opinion.

Morgan is past his best and Benny is better, especially with his feet. He just needs more game time. Give the captaincy to Kasper, he's more made for that role than Wes.

Last summer was catastrophic (as well as January, with ehm... Molla Wague) and if we don't get at least one new CB then we're in trouble next season.

There has been absolutely nothing to suggest Benny is a better defender, as soon as Ranieri went Morgan was fine again and the results and performances show that prior to his injury.

Benny has been an able deputy, but he's been dominated in two or three games in a way Morgan rarely is physically and it cost us.

Don't get me wrong, I've generally seen Matt James as a solid central midfielder. Nothing flash, but solid. I personally thought he was equally as effective in the first Prem season, as Cambiasso, until the final 7 games of the season where the formation changed enabled Cambiasso to shine.

However, it is as though people completely forget (perhaps consciously) how that season went until we got Huth fit and it all came together. Although it was clear that we were never THAT bad, we were also not very good. And in some games, we were downright awful. Cambiasso and James were pretty much ever present in a side that lay at the bottom of the Prem for three quarters of a season. People might not like this, they won't want it posting, but it's true. 

Now, for some reason, a player who has suffered a terrible injury, who has taken a very long time to get back to anywhere near  being fit enough, is suddenly going to be good enough for us again in the central midfield. We struggled with James in the centre when he was fully fit! 

I simply feel that James, King and it would seem Mendy and Amartey are never going to really kick us on in terms of providing the side with a real quality midfield. They are ok, strong, solid enough. But none will pull up trees imo.

I hope I'm wrong, I used to like watching James play for the most part. But I think we now need to seek out better.

4 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Don't get me wrong, I've generally seen Matt James as a solid central midfielder. Nothing flash, but solid. I personally thought he was equally as effective in the first Prem season, as Cambiasso, until the final 7 games of the season where the formation changed enabled Cambiasso to shine.

However, it is as though people completely forget (perhaps consciously) how that season went until we got Huth fit and it all came together. Although it was clear that we were never THAT bad, we were also not very good. And in some games, we were downright awful. Cambiasso and James were pretty much ever present in a side that lay at the bottom of the Prem for three quarters of a season. People might not like this, they won't want it posting, but it's true. 

Now, for some reason, a player who has suffered a terrible injury, who has taken a very long time to get back to anywhere near  being fit enough, is suddenly going to be good enough for us again in the central midfield. We struggled with James in the centre when he was fully fit! 

I simply feel that James, King and it would seem Mendy and Amartey are never going to really kick us on in terms of providing the side with a real quality midfield. They are ok, strong, solid enough. But none will pull up trees imo.

I hope I'm wrong, I used to like watching James play for the most part. But I think we now need to seek out better.

You on the right thread Col ?

37 minutes ago, Babylon said:

There has been absolutely nothing to suggest Benny is a better defender, as soon as Ranieri went Morgan was fine again and the results and performances show that prior to his injury.

Benny has been an able deputy, but he's been dominated in two or three games in a way Morgan rarely is physically and it cost us.

You on the right thread Babs ? ....

56 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Apart from when Lukaku treated him like a 5 year old as he walked past him

16 minutes ago, AmarteyAndChill said:

Apart from when Lukaku treated him like a 5 year old as he walked past him

As per Benteke and Carroll too. It's unsurprising however he should struggle against the stronger strikers of the division. He's average, nothing more nothing less. 

56 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

In our first season back, both James and DDrinkwater kept getting knocks and injuries.They hardly played a game where

they were fully fit.Especially before January.Many posters actually saying the individuals should have a full recovery

before being selected. Before that January, not even seemed to be able to stop, hold and deliver a decent psss consistently.

Basic football skill went amiss, though covering and defending were even in our bad days, pretty good, and kept us in many

Games. If my memory serves me right, James picked up towards the end of the season, after club reported his injuries

seem behind him, then after starting to play with top performances, wham!!!  He gets an injury that sees him out for the

Whole of our title season.So I disagree with your post, because he was never fully fit, after promotion...:huh:

52 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

My theory on the start (and middle) of the great escape season is that the biggest problem with the team, and squad, was that it was so disjointed and unbalanced. The summer recruitment was botched, especially in the defence. No replacement for Konchesky was signed, we tried to recruit on the cheap at centre back with Upson. We lost Lloyd Dyer, but signed Albrighton. Then, in a disastrous pre season, we lost Vardy, Knockaert, James and Drinkwater through injury. Knocky returned, but didn't seem fully fit, and had his off the field problems to deal with, and Pearson didn't seem to want to use Albrighton when he returned from injury. Then Schlupp was pushed forwards as a winger, so we no longer had him at full back, so we were left with Konchesky. Pearson didn't seem to know what to do with his options, whether to use Ulloa and Nugent, to utilise Vardy up front or on the wing. He lost trust in Mahrez defensively, then started pissing around with formations, and played 4 centre mids at once in a diamond and it was still porous, with the added effect of losing all attacking threat as well. The issue was never as simple as Cambiasso and James being solely responsible for the problems - the side was disjointed in all areas, and had a glaring weakness at left back, plus a dodgy Schwarzer in goal for a large chunk of the season. It was not a functioning unit where every one knew their role. It was only once he got Huth in to strengthen at the back, switched to wing backs to get round the fact we had poor full backs, got Vardy up front and Schmeichel back in goal did everything start to come together. Once Cambiasso and James were in a balanced side, they were fine.

The title winning side last year was a balanced team, where everyone knew their roles. We have returned to that balanced, solid team in recent weeks. If you were to take a fit Matty James and slot him in to this team for a suspended or injured N'didi, say, he'd surely be capable of doing a better job than King (not a dig at Kingy - but the combo of him and Drinkwater has never been our best option, as they are both more suited to the attacking side of the game). James and Drinkwater have always had an excellent understanding of each others games, and link up well in a 2 man midfield with each other. James tends to be a more natural fit for the more defensive role of the midfield 2 than King, whose strengths are in going forwards, which King has to temper when playing next to Drinkwater. James is a tidy footballer on the ball, has good close control and is capable of keeping things ticking over nicely - obviously he lacks the shooting ability of N'didi or King, but he can have a decent eye for a pass too. He is an under-rated player, and if his fitness and mobility is back to the level he was at before could be a very useful player to have back in the squad.

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Presume you missed him getting totally dominated at both Everton and Palace then.

Benny isn't above Morgan and the second he's fit the manager won't have him there either. 

There has been sod all wrong with Morgan's performances since Ranieri went.

Not saying you are right or wrong. But i dont think the everton games a fair example to bash anyone with. Only half the first team out.

12 hours ago, sylofox said:

Not saying you are right or wrong. But i dont think the everton games a fair example to bash anyone with. Only half the first team out.

But he was individually awful in that game, I appreciate some of them were out but it was still quite a strong team.

Guest MattP
16 hours ago, murphy said:

Sacking Ranieri has saved the season.

N'Didi was still part of a team that couldn't stop losing and couldn't score a goal before we got rid of him.

14 hours ago, Col city fan said:

And quite a few of our other players were ever present as well, doesn't mean they aren't up to the task. You're doing what you always do and pointing the finger at the middle of the park. Lets not forget we had Konch and De Laet at full back with Moore at CB for large chunks of that season. Three players who have shown themselves only good enough for the championship since leaving. Even if you were right and the issue was just the centre of the park, you blamed Cambiasso for all of those failings... using your own points against you that would mean James was completely hamstung by him.

14 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Literally nobody has said that, what everyone has said is that if he gets back to his best he can be a very good player for us. Nobody is saying he's going to get to that level.

You know I like my stats so here is a comparison of his first season against all the others that year and his first season against them this year.

Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 09.15.25.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 09.11.30.png

17 hours ago, murphy said:

9 minutes ago, MattP said:

Sacking Ranieri has saved the season.

N'Didi was still part of a team that couldn't stop losing and couldn't score a goal before we got rid of him.

Plus one for both of you. Not that you said anything funny or enlightening. Just the fact you managed to fit Ndidi in.

Benny simply doesn't have Morgan's presence, strength or know-how. He's done okay in some respects and even had decent games when he's not been physically overwhelmed, but that's his lasting problem at top level - he will come up against exceptional strikers and when those strikers happen to be physically dominant Benny's been vulnerable.

No, that doesn't say Morgan isn't vulnerable. People like Lukaku and Benteke are a handful for anyone but Morgan is big, broad-shouldered and strong as a  stancheon. He puts his body where it's not wanted, sets himself firm, and doesn't get pushed aside or jumped over by anyone.

You can give Benny as much game time as you like and it won't make him any stronger or more intimidating. He's got ability, no question, but his weaknesses make him much more vulnerable than Morgan who was ever present when we won the Premiership title and that speaks loud and clear for his overall ability against the broadest variety of opponents.

Indeed, he and Huth are about as good as it gets physically and when we set up in a way that suits their strengths.   .

Archived