Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
EnderbyFox

Benalouane "Ready to Play"

6 minutes ago, Charl91 said:

Yeah, he's actually fairly good. At worst, he's good enough for a back up CB, and possibly good enough to be a starter in the long run (would need to see him play some more still).

Pros

• Seems a lot more calm and composed on the ball than our other CB's.
  • Passing is 'generally' better than our other CB's, and willing to be a bit more ambitious with it.
  • His tackling is generally spot on
  • Faster than Huth (and probably Morgan)
  • He seems a pretty cool guy
  • Not afraid to get "aggressive"
  •  Goes on crazy runs.

Cons

• He gets bullied in the air by big guys more than the other two
  • Less likely to score at corners
  • Occasionally get pulled waaay out of position chasing the ball.
  • Ambitious passing doesn't always come off...
  • Not afraid to get "aggressive"
  • Goes on crazy, entertaining runs.

Overall though, I'm convinced that he's at least Premier League standard, which is reassuring. He seems a much better choice if we're trying to play a higher line, though I'd probably still have a Huth/Morgan combo if we're sitting back.

Agree with that and when you think that the Jon Stones deal was about £100 million in total and the above could easily describe him.

3 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Absolute chief. Loved him coming over to us in the away end after the match. 

I love it when players look like they are bothered about the fans. I know it is easier when you win, but Schmeichel going into the away end to give someone his gloves, Benny throwing his shirt into the crowd, and Simpson dancing to our singing capped off another great West Brom away day. Brilliant.

• Like 2

i think we are lucky that he didn't leave after the first season starting to look like a decent player.

got to give it to the guy for believing he was good enough to get a regular place on the bench and then wait for his chance to come to stake a claim for a first team start. could have lost him after we won the league. 

With Benny proving he is useful, plus the asking price for centre backs going absolutely crazy, he's very quickly gone from a total waste of cash to looking like a fairly reasonable signing for the money. I'm made up for the guy, seems like a cheerful chap, glad he's had the chance to show what he can do and made the most of it. Refreshing to see someone so happy to be playing.

benny had a great game and is now a better choice than wes or huth, would have him there and rotate the other two. still think we need a top class cb in the summer window.

if wes and huth both out armatay is the next best choice.

however I could the boss bringing fuchs into cb and playing chillwell.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

He's really not better than Huth or Morgan. Can be very rash, rarely wins headers against strong strikers and his distribution isn't really that good. He's okay, nothing more and nothing less. 

That's really harsh. Considering how he had Arsenal's best players in his pocket on Wednesday and kept a clean sheet against a physical West Brom side. 

He does need to work on his decision making. Sometimes too quick to jump into a challenge, but sometimes it's those challenges that start a counter. It's all about balance. He has a lot to learn, but credit where it's due, he's been phenomanal the last few games. 

Edited by foxhateram

32 minutes ago, foxhateram said:

That's really harsh. Considering how he had Arsenal's best players in his pocket on Wednesday and kept a clean sheet against a physical West Brom side. 

He does need to work on his decision making. Sometimes too quick to jump into a challenge, but sometimes it's those challenges that start a counter. It's all about balance. He has a lot to learn, but credit where it's due, he's been phenomanal the last few games. 

It's not harsh, what's harsh is people constantly wanting to dump two players who never let us down for someone who is absolutely not an upgrade.

He has been an able deputy, but there is no chance people are judging him how the judge the others. He spent all Saturday punting the ball out for goal kicks and he's "good on the ball". Morgan or Hugh would get lambasted, just like they would be the constant free kicks he gives away charging into the back of people just outside the area.

We rely on cb height as we're a team of short arses, his lack of height/strength has already been exposed in about 4 games.

He's an able deputy, but when we upgrade the others we can do better.

• Like 3

Definitely worth having knocking around the squad next season as one of 4 cb's. bit hot headed and likes a wander but as someone else sais, there are similar players about who cost tens of millions. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Babylon said:

It's not harsh, what's harsh is people constantly wanting to dump two players who never let us down for someone who is absolutely not an upgrade.

He has been an able deputy, but there is no chance people are judging him how the judge the others. He spent all Saturday punting the ball out for goal kicks and he's "good on the ball". Morgan or Hugh would get lambasted, just like they would be the constant free kicks he gives away charging into the back of people just outside the area.

We rely on cb height as we're a team of short arses, his lack of height/strength has already been exposed in about 4 games.

He's an able deputy, but when we upgrade the others we can do better.

I never stated that he should replace Huth or Morgan, nor have I implyed he is better than them.

I was pointing out that he has good qualities, different qualities to the other two.  Qualities that could be useful in more physical games or against faster opposition. I thought he did well in the air on Saturday. 

We must also remember that Morgan and Huth are edging ever closer to their twilight years and we must prepare for the future. That means giving new blood a chance to progress.