Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Vacamion

President Trump & the USA

Guest MattP
1 minute ago, lifted*fox said:

This is the world we live in now. wtf, right? 

It's absolutely mental, it could get crazier as well. I think social media will have as big an impact on the human race as anything we know about.

7 minutes ago, MattP said:

It's absolutely mental, it could get crazier as well. I think social media will have as big an impact on the human race as anything we know about.

yes, the abuse of social media, indeed. 

twitter is absolutely saturated with trolls and bots - it's very easy to spot. profiles with very short life-spans, handles containing names and then a random series of numbers e.g. Jane00985093 with nothing else on their timeline apart from political retweets. 

if you take the time to call them out (I tried the other day) they get back to you in broken English and overcompensate saying things like "I'm from Leeds of the United Kingdom - how else would I know where Halifax is?" and weird shit like that.

irrespective of our disagreements on Brexit Matt, social media has been taken over by millions of fake accounts waging war on democracy by trying to influence people's thoughts on politics and subsequently how they vote; from both sides, I'm sure.

until we somehow get a hold on that abuse of information the world is going to severely struggle to progress much further than this.

we're definitely at the start of the end times - no joke. 

Edited by lifted*fox
  • Like 1

it's just so clear that it's not a 22 year old nurse from Leeds working in London lol.

her twitter feed is relentless, relentless retweeting of Leave propaganda. 

every time she replies to anything it's in panicked, broken English.

there are millions of these accounts and they're being created to **** with people too blind to see through it.

if the world makes it out of this period somehow unscathed people in the future will look back on this period in total disbelief. 

they will say "wow, how did they fall for it?"

• Like 2

Guest MattP
13 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

yes, the abuse of social media, indeed. 

twitter is absolutely saturated with trolls and bots - it's very easy to spot. profiles with very short life-spans, handles containing names and then a random series of numbers e.g. Jane00985093 with nothing else on their timeline apart from political retweets. 

if you take the time to call them out (I tried the other day) they get back to you in broken English and overcompensate saying things like "I'm from Leeds of the United Kingdom - how else would I know where Halifax is?" and weird shit like that.

irrespective of our disagreements on Brexit Matt, social media has been taken over by millions of fake accounts waging war on democracy by trying to influence people's thoughts on politics and subsequently how they vote; from both sides, I'm sure.

until we somehow get a hold on that abuse of information the world is going to severely struggle to progress much further than this.

we're definitely at the start of the end times - no joke. 

I don't disagree at all.

Facebook is just as bad, the amount of fake news (from all sides) being shared is absolutely incredible now.

Regulation is needed very quickly on it and something has to be held responsible for the content. At the minute there is no desire to stop it.

Just now, MattP said:

I don't disagree at all.

Facebook is just as bad, the amount of fake news (from all sides) being shared is absolutely incredible now.

Regulation is needed very quickly on it and something has to be held responsible for the content. At the minute there is no desire to stop it.

for sure.

there is no desire to stop it because all of these social media platforms get richer and richer the more content is posted.

we've seen in the behaviour of people like Zuckerberg that they don't give a flying cvnt about people's privacy or the content posted on their site (holocaust denial, etc).

they just want as many users posting as much shit to anger / entice even more users to reply. 

increased posting, increased user-base, increased ad revenue. 

the media in general, both physical (mostly newspapers) and online is actually what's causing the downfall of this planet. 

whilst it's been an important tool for allowing people to come together across the world and collaborate and understand one another - there are more and more people using it to spread hatred, racism and lies for the benefit of themselves and the powers that be.

twitter and facebook especially will be looked back upon as the tools of our demise. 

17 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

it's just so clear that it's not a 22 year old nurse from Leeds working in London lol.

her twitter feed is relentless, relentless retweeting of Leave propaganda. 

every time she replies to anything it's in panicked, broken English.

there are millions of these accounts and they're being created to **** with people too blind to see through it.

if the world makes it out of this period somehow unscathed people in the future will look back on this period in total disbelief. 

they will say "wow, how did they fall for it?"

You mean "вау, как они пали для этого?"

• Haha 1

It's a difficult one. I've always been one to think that technologies are for the most part morally neutral until they are applied and social media is no different. But then if that tech then leads to horrific consequences, hindsight says that it should have either been controlled better or never developed in the first place.

You can't be a Luddite and refute technology for any length of time and expect to survive as a species, but then with every advancement comes the risk of it being used for dreadful purposes and getting in the worst kind of trouble anyway.

It's a dilemma.

8 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

It's a difficult one. I've always been one to think that technologies are for the most part morally neutral until they are applied and social media is no different. But then if that tech then leads to horrific consequences, hindsight says that it should have either been controlled better or never developed in the first place.

You can't be a Luddite and refute technology for any length of time and expect to survive as a species, but then with every advancement comes the risk of it being used for dreadful purposes and getting in the worst kind of trouble anyway.

It's a dilemma.

I would argue the opposite is true.

We survived as a species just fine while we were in the Stone Age.

10 minutes ago, Buce said:

I would argue the opposite is true.

We survived as a species just fine while we were in the Stone Age.

This is probably a chat for the sci/tech thread, but I'll elaborate briefly: IMO you can't expect to survive for any length of time by a geological standard (a few tens of thousands of years is nothing, really).  In the long term, without developing tech you're just waiting for any supervolcanic eruption, any pandemic, any impact event, any drastic change in climate or any more well-adapted species  - amongst a multitude of other possibilities - to wipe you out.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

This is probably a chat for the sci/tech thread, but I'll elaborate briefly: IMO you can't expect to survive for any length of time by a geological standard (a few tens of thousands of years is nothing, really).  In the long term, without developing tech you're just waiting for any supervolcanic eruption, any pandemic, any impact event, any drastic change in climate or any more well-adapted species  - amongst a multitude of other possibilities - to wipe you out.

I'm not sure this is true. Technological advances have meant that one geek in their bedroom can devastate the finances of millions with a key stroke. The machinations of war have gotten ever more powerful to the point we could end humanity. 

It's the industrial revolution that has led directly to our greatest challenge - man-made climate change - which we look set to fail.

25 minutes ago, toddybad said:

I'm not sure this is true. Technological advances have meant that one geek in their bedroom can devastate the finances of millions with a key stroke. The machinations of war have gotten ever more powerful to the point we could end humanity. 

It's the industrial revolution that has led directly to our greatest challenge - man-made climate change - which we look set to fail.

I've written on this more in the Sci Tech thread, so feel free to examine things more there. Again, briefly, I stand by what I said: tech allows a greater risk of causing disaster, but without it disaster out of our control is an inevitable, mathematical certainty and merely a matter of time (of course it is ultimately anyway, but over a much much shorter timescale than is the case with properly utilised tech).

Edited by leicsmac

Guest MattP
15 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Erdogan, Putin, Duterte, Trump.

Nationalist egotistical peas in a pod.

Get stuff done though don't they? Can't argue they aren't conviction politicians.

Duterte actually has an 88% approval rating, incredible. 

39 minutes ago, MattP said:

Get stuff done though don't they? Can't argue they aren't conviction politicians.

Duterte actually has an 88% approval rating, incredible. 

All autocrats, including Hitler, Stalin and Mao and their 20th Century greatest hits, got stuff done - doesn't mean that all or even any of the stuff they did was good.

They were also mostly very good at manipulating public opinion to maintain power and be well thought of in their country while in power.

AFAIC folks that admire autocrats (not saying you are) mainly do so because they either know or think that they're not going to be among those they oppress.

Guest MattP
11 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

All autocrats, including Hitler, Stalin and Mao and their 20th Century greatest hits, got stuff done - doesn't mean that all or even any of the stuff they did was good.

They were also mostly very good at manipulating public opinion to maintain power and be well thought of in their country while in power.

AFAIC folks that admire autocrats (not saying you are) mainly do so because they either know or think that they're not going to be among those they oppress.

I'm a complete hypocrite on the issue, I'd never want to live under an autocratic or authoritarian regime, but I also recognise these people often do what they say.

Duerte for example does appeal to me, he's got the bad guys on the run in a way we could only dream of, it's so easy for us to criticise from our liberal Western position but his people seem to enjoy the peace they now have under him.

Quite an interesting read in The Tines yesterday - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/our-timid-leaders-can-learn-from-strongmen-3xhqhk0zw

I was surprised they put that to print.