Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Vacamion

President Trump & the USA

17 hours ago, Webbo said:

No point worrying about things you can't alter.

I wonder how things would have turned out if Emily Pankhurst had thought that?

Nothing wrong with a good debate but it loses something when people are called ignorant for having a different opinion.

I'm guessing the forums up in Liverpool Manchester and Newcastle would be a little different.

When the same arguments are posted over and over and there is a chorus of 'Yeah I agree' it gets a little repetitive and boring. 

Edited by Rincewind

8 minutes ago, Rincewind said:

I wonder how things would have turned out if Emly Pankhurst had thought that?

Or Nigel Farage for that matter.

People want you to put up and shut up when they have things the way they want, but when's it's not they'll be the first to shout, and the biggest backer of the loudest shouter.

28 minutes ago, Rincewind said:

I wonder how things would have turned out if Emily Pankhurst had thought that?

Nothing wrong with a good debate but it loses something when people are called ignorant for having a different opinion.

I'm guessing the forums up in Liverpool Manchester and Newcastle would be a little different.

When the same arguments are posted over and over and there is a chorus of 'Yeah I agree' it gets a little repetitive and boring. 

Emily Pankhurst could do something about it. 

17 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

This whole 'fake news' thing is perhaps the most disturbing thing about his presidency so far:  The way he's completely undermined the news media and got a lot of his supporters believing that what they see on TV is all lies which means that Trump can tell them whatever he likes and they'll blindly accept it.  It's terrifying for very obvious Orwellian reasons.

The whole "fake news" spiel was wielded first by the mainstream media outlets frustrated and worried by the fact that they were increasingly unable to control the narrative and influence people to vote the way they and their patrons wanted. Personally I love the way it has backfired and their own weapon is being used against them. Lets be honest the suggestion that mainstream media, especially in the USA, is biased and frankly just plain tells lies (on both sides) holds water. I don't even trust that the BBC is fully impartial, never mind CNN or Fox. All three have political agendas just by merit of being ran by human beings.

He keeps attacking the media to make it look like he is a victim. by attacking the press it is taking focus off him and his policies and saying that everything is the fault of the lying press and by saying the press has their own agenda he wants to push through what ever he wants and if the press reports it he can just shout and say it is fake news all the time. it is a form of persuasion.

23 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

No Emily Pankhurst did do something about it, there's a difference. 

If she did do something about it then she could do something about it. We have no say about what happens in America and quite rightly so. We wouldn't want what happens in our country decided by American voters/protesters.

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

If she did do something about it then she could do something about it. We have no say about what happens in America and quite rightly so. We wouldn't want what happens in our country decided by American voters/protesters.

I don't even want what happens in our country to decided by British voters/protesters.

1 hour ago, Swan Lesta said:

I don't even want what happens in our country to decided by British voters/protesters.

58 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Definitely not protesters.

In general, I agree.

However a notable exception was the Poll Tax protests - direct action at its finest.

One could also argue that had the Iraq-War protests been heeded, the Middle East would be a very different place today.

Edited by Buce

41 minutes ago, Webbo said:

She did something by protesting and shouting until somebody listened, now you're criticising people for doing just that. 

As for posting on internet forums complaining about things, they didn't exist back then, but I'm sure if they did she would have used them to vent her anger as would a many of her supporters. 

People are having opinions, I see no issue with that. Just because you don't like that opinion because it's rightfully pulling Trump up on his chaos doesn't mean you can shut it up. Isn't that what the right accuse the left of doing, closing down the argument, rather than defeating it? I think the term is snowflake :D 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Facecloth said:

She did something by protesting and shouting until somebody listened, now you're criticising people for doing just that. 

As for posting on internet forums complaining about things, they didn't exist back then, but I'm sure if they did she would have used them to vent her anger as would a many of her supporters. 

People are having opinions, I see no issue with that. Just because you don't like that opinion because it's rightfully pulling Trump up on his chaos doesn't mean you can shut it up. Isn't that what the right accuse the left of doing, closing down the argument, rather than defeating it? I think the term is snowflake :D 

I'm not trying to shut anyone up, just calm them down a bit

General Chat is 80% moaning, that's what we're here for, but surely I'm not the only 1 who's fed up of reading the same thing everyday?

At the end of the day it's not even about 'making a difference' or whatever, we're simply having a chat.  I can understand pulling the whole 'why do you care when you can't do anything' spiel if somebody starts this conversation with you at work and you cba to talk to them about it, but we're on a message board so if you don't like the discussion just don't join in and leave us get on with airing our incredibly important and unique opinions.  Simples :D

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I'm not trying to shut anyone up, just calm them down a bit

General Chat is 80% moaning, that's what we're here for, but surely I'm not the only 1 who's fed up of reading the same thing everyday?

But it's not the same thing everyday is it? This is constantly changing situation.

The post you replied to saying why be alarmed when we can't do anything, was one from Carl just asking why even the people who support Trump's politics aren't alarmed by the man, I don't see that as something you needed to calm down, and it wasn't a repetitive post rehashing what others had said, so I'm not really buying your reasoning. I think it's more the case you support Trumps politics but can't defend the man, so when the man is criticised you struggle to form a decent argument to support him, so you ask people to stop as you don't like hearing it.

This forum is full of people rehashing old arguments, reposting things said a hundred times, whether it be about Pearson, Ranieri going, Vardy being lazy, Huth being shit, Simpson hoofing, Kante being missed, Brexit meaning Brexit......I could go on and on and on and on. Would you care to point me to your posts asking those people to stop as they can't do anything about it?

Edited by Facecloth

10 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

But it's not the same thing everyday is it? This is constantly changing situation.

The post you replied to saying why be alarmed when we can't do anything, was one from Carl just asking why even the people who support Trump's politics aren't alarmed by the man, I don't see that as something you needed to calm down, so I'm not really buying your reasoning. I think it's more the case you support Trumps politics but can't defend the man, so when the man is criticised you struggle to form a decent argument to support him, so you ask people to stop as you don't like hearing it.

I don't support Trump, I don't hate him either, there is a difference.I don't support Labour but I don't condemn those that do..

I honestly believe I'm 1 of the most liberal people on here, I stand up for free speech and freedom of conscience. Live and let live my friend. As soon as you start telling people what they're allowed to think or say you're on the road to fascism.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

I don't support Trump, I don't hate him either, there is a difference.I don't support Labour but I don't condemn them that do..

I honestly believe I'm 1 of the most liberal people on here, I stand up for free speech and freedom of conscience. Live and let live my friend. As soon as you start telling people what they're allowed to think or say you're on the road to fascism.

If you stand for free speech, why were you encouraging people to stop talking about something that interests or concerns them?

Just now, Facecloth said:

If you stand for free speech, why were you encouraging people to stop talking about something that interests or concerns them?

Cause I'm bored with it. Because I think people are being a bit hysterical. That's just me though, I respect your right to say what you think.

Just now, Webbo said:

Cause I'm bored with it. Because I think people are being a bit hysterical. That's just me though, I respect your right to say what you think.

So like Carl said, ignore it, don't ask people to stop, or like you say you're on the road to fascism. You're bored with Trump talk, don't open the Trump thread, or do and a put up with it like you do many other subjects that get talked about over and over on here.

Just now, Facecloth said:

So like Carl said, ignore it, don't ask people to stop, or like you say you're on the road to fascism. You're bored with Trump talk, don't open the Trump thread, or do and a put up with it like you do many other subjects that get talked about over and over on here.

I'm a mod, especially for Gen Chat. I read every thread on here, believe me it can be tedious at times.