Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Adster

Horizon: Zero Dawn

On the original I have now cleared pretty much everything before heading out into the desert area on the way to that main city.  There's lots of flying machines that wipe the floor with me here.  The first area was a walk in the park and the difficulty seems to have spiked somewhat.

What weapons/tactics are best to take these new guys out?

On 06/11/2017 at 18:55, Legend_in_blue said:

On the original I have now cleared pretty much everything before heading out into the desert area on the way to that main city.  There's lots of flying machines that wipe the floor with me here.  The first area was a walk in the park and the difficulty seems to have spiked somewhat.

What weapons/tactics are best to take these new guys out?

Advice is, get good noob.

(try freezing them if memory serves)

Edited by Manwell Pablo

• 2 months later...

I brought this July last year and made a start but then stopped playing ( I think another game came out which I focused on and forgot about Horizon). I started playing it again a couple of days ago and once I remembered the buttons I remember just how good this game is. Not very far, Ive done the proving and ive just gained the ability to Override machines. I quite enjoy exploring and collecting resources and hunting animals.

Just wondered if there are any tips people can give me, what to focus my skill points on or items to keep and not sell etc.

On 26/01/2018 at 09:22, kingcarr21 said:

I brought this July last year and made a start but then stopped playing ( I think another game came out which I focused on and forgot about Horizon). I started playing it again a couple of days ago and once I remembered the buttons I remember just how good this game is. Not very far, Ive done the proving and ive just gained the ability to Override machines. I quite enjoy exploring and collecting resources and hunting animals.

Just wondered if there are any tips people can give me, what to focus my skill points on or items to keep and not sell etc.

Learn different enemy weaknesses, do the cauldrons, upgrade your weapons as often as you can, do the trials. Setting traps carefully can see you taking down monsters far above you ability to solo. Learn where to hit Thunderjaws to get their Disc Launcher.

Oh, and don't run around aggroing everything! No no no...

6 hours ago, egg_fried_rice said:

Made a start on this at the weekend and it's brilliant. Visually, it's absolutely sensational and the play mechanics are good too. 

All the best games are on PS4.  God of War, The Last of Us 2, ... we're being spoiled this year.

4 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

Took over my first bandit camp which was fun. Keep searching for animal skins and bones to upgrade carry capacity. I am currently level 12 but feel like I need to progress the story as the machines are too easy and I never use traps. Just run in and smash

I felt this in the first area.  Once you pass into the desert it's tricky.  I haven't played it in a while so when I do go back no doubt I will be rusty.  I'm ploughing through Fallout 4 and there appears no end to this (huge) game.

• 1 month later...
On 1/29/2018 at 14:23, kingcarr21 said:

Took over my first bandit camp which was fun. Keep searching for animal skins and bones to upgrade carry capacity. I am currently level 12 but feel like I need to progress the story as the machines are too easy and I never use traps. Just run in and smash

play it on hard then. transforms the gameplay

• 4 weeks later...

Been on this and nothing else every day for a week.  Chipping away at it. lol

40 hours in, level 37.  Just about to visit Sunwall.

I'm pretty good at it now.  The upgraded weapons certainly help.

Just don't miss the power core in Mothers Cradle!  Miss it and it's a pain to get back to.  There is a workaround which involves taking a Strider up the wall to the boundary of the map and performing a series of jumps and rolls to avoid the invisible wall.  Best to grab the power cell first time round...

Finally finished all of the bandit camps and hunting grounds.

There was one hunting ground task that was a total pain to complete - it took me over 15 attempts to get it right.  The stealth one where you have to loot the 4 crates.  It appears this was made more difficult after an update.  Only about 1 in 3 attempts down the zip line results in the first set of 3 being left alone.  If one is picked up, there's no chance of doing this in the time limit and everyone attacks.  Some people have done it with the shield weave armour, which I still don't have, to make it easier.  Fluked it in the end though, did it with a second to spare.

Only a few collectables left and two corrupted zones to clear.  Level 43 so on target to finish at 50 no problem.  It's beginning to become a little too easy though - the difficulty spiked around level 25, once beyond that, it's got progressively much easier to progress past the machines.  Or maybe I'm just getting better.  :thumbup:  Next time round, ultra hard, new game+.

On 4/3/2018 at 00:18, Legend_in_blue said:

Been on this and nothing else every day for a week.  Chipping away at it. lol

40 hours in, level 37.  Just about to visit Sunwall.

I'm pretty good at it now.  The upgraded weapons certainly help.

Just don't miss the power core in Mothers Cradle!  Miss it and it's a pain to get back to.  There is a workaround which involves taking a Strider up the wall to the boundary of the map and performing a series of jumps and rolls to avoid the invisible wall.  Best to grab the power cell first time round...

where is it there? i got my first one after the first major cutscene reveal a few hours in, looks like i will have to go back

8 minutes ago, Beliall said:

where is it there? i got my first one after the first major cutscene reveal a few hours in, looks like i will have to go back

It's in a small room which you can enter through a vent.  The small room is off one of the corridors off the main hall.  When I got back, I couldn't find it, so I must have picked it up before!  lol I can't remember ever doing it, although after over 40 hours of gameplay on this, I'm not surprised.

By the first one, do you mean the one in the caves where you start out as young Aloy that you can go back to at any time? 

I definitely have one left to collect now.  Once you have two power cores, go back to the room with the armour in and put them into the locks.  This will allow you to get to the further three locks at which point the quest updates itself and tells you there are now three to collect.  I now have 2/3, with just the one to go, the quest will update this for you.

As a side, the 23 training dummies you can break are not listed on the map so I used this guide to find and break them all:

16 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

It's in a small room which you can enter through a vent.  The small room is off one of the corridors off the main hall.  When I got back, I couldn't find it, so I must have picked it up before!  lol I can't remember ever doing it, although after over 40 hours of gameplay on this, I'm not surprised.

By the first one, do you mean the one in the caves where you start out as young Aloy that you can go back to at any time? 

I definitely have one left to collect now.  Once you have two power cores, go back to the room with the armour in and put them into the locks.  This will allow you to get to the further three locks at which point the quest updates itself and tells you there are now three to collect.  I now have 2/3, with just the one to go, the quest will update this for you.

As a side, the 23 training dummies you can break are not listed on the map so I used this guide to find and break them all:

cheers lib, no the first one i picked up was right at the top of a tall building in town

3 hours ago, Beliall said:

cheers lib, no the first one i picked up was right at the top of a tall building in town

:huh:

If it's the one I am thinking off, you mean the Maker's End mission?  I didn't get there until 30 hours of gameplay had passed.  lol

If it is this one, then you will have to back track to mothers cradle and attempt to enter the compound which is likely to be constantly shut.  The advice online about waiting for darkness and walking away from the bonfire next to the doors and then re-approaching so that they open etc etc does not work.  At least, I couldn't get it so that the doors would open.  Follow this advice:

:thumbup:

By the end of Maker's End, you should have 3 power cells out of 5.  The next one is at the Grave Hoard - you can't miss it.

22 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

:huh:

If it's the one I am thinking off, you mean the Maker's End mission?  I didn't get there until 30 hours of gameplay had passed.  lol

If it is this one, then you will have to back track to mothers cradle and attempt to enter the compound which is likely to be constantly shut.  The advice online about waiting for darkness and walking away from the bonfire next to the doors and then re-approaching so that they open etc etc does not work.  At least, I couldn't get it so that the doors would open.  Follow this advice:

:thumbup:

By the end of Maker's End, you should have 3 power cells out of 5.  The next one is at the Grave Hoard - you can't miss it.

is makers end the one in the skyscraper you go to for the big reveal about the origins of the machines

thanks for the vid, i might go on this tonight now talking about it got me in the mood, and might get me off the show for a bit

spoiler is safe for lib, others might want to avoid

Edited by Beliall
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just finished this myself after getting it cheap on the PS Store.

Graphics, gameplay, plot, all excellent. In particular I liked the line about "two hundred years of science fiction and we still make the same mistakes", very meta - here's hoping humanity get the message IRL. Ted Faro is far too close to Elon Musk/Jeff Bezos for my liking.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 1

On ‎28‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 06:01, leicsmac said:

Just finished this myself after getting it cheap on the PS Store.

Graphics, gameplay, plot, all excellent. In particular I liked the line about "two hundred years of science fiction and we still make the same mistakes", very meta - here's hoping humanity get the message IRL. Ted Faro is far too close to Elon Musk/Jeff Bezos for my liking.

HZD 2, PS5, gaming perfection right there.  Not long to wait.  Hopefully!