Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Liverpool (H) Match Thread

Some pre-match observations...

Either Shakey is continuing with Ranieri's 'possession' tactics or he's going back to last seasons pressing 442. If it's the former then we'll get torn a new one, if it's the latter than that's a step in the right direction but it puts a hell of a responsibility on the shoulders of young Ndidi in CM - hopefully he can deal with it.

I'm interested to see how Vardy gets on. Will he be his old self and if he is and if Liverpool sit deep the what will Shakey do to get him into the game? Has he got the solution that Claudio could never happen upon?

Lastly, (and I'm sticking my neck out now rather than saying it after the game), that strikes me as a team picked on Shakey's loyalties- if he wants the job permanently then he has to prove he won't fall into the same trap as Ranieri did by picking out of form players because he likes them. Not saying he will, or that he should be in way discounted after today's game, I'm just saying that today could reveal a lot about his suitability for the top job. There aren't too many number twos who make the step up successfully. 

All things considered, I thought Shakey spoke well when interviewed just now.

As Gary Neville said, if we get any sort of result tonight and a win vs Hull on Saturday, he could well find the job is his.

This team couldn't play Ranieri's game which he tried to install this season, we needed quicker defenders and better passers at the back because allowing the team to come on to us meant we had to be rock solid and quick. Last season we defended from the front so protected that slow back four, do that again tonight and it should be a better performance at least 

12 minutes ago, Babylon said:

It's about how they go about things and what they are asked to do. It has never been about them being bad players. 

I just think Huth and Morgan are going to be utterly destroyed. More than happy to be wrong though 

This is what I expected. I think Shakey will want to see whether the usual starters will perform better under a different manager, and give them a chance to show whether they deserve to start for his team. I think we'll be set up differently, as well. Pressing, probably.

I think we we will lose heavily.  There will be boos and songs for Ranieri and smug pundits and twitterati.

I still have hope that we will beat Hull and I still think we might (just) stay up.

I just think we will be the story for all the wrong reasons this evening.

Hope I'm dead wrong.

COYB

:scarf::scarf:

3 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Rumours that Shakey wanted to leave when Claudio was fired but Shakespeare's sister told him to stay.

She started singing "stay"

Back on topic, with that defence I expect Mane to have a field day. 

Look, it's his first game in charge. Hes had less input than usual this season and he's had 3 days to set the players up for this match, in what is likely going to be different tactics (with less preparation and different training in the build up). 

Shakey has gone back to basics with a rather uninspiring squad (which won the league remember) where the majority of the players know exactly what their role is. It's hardly surprising, is it? 

I seriously doubt he's picking players based on loyalty alone. For this one match, there may be an element of that, but I'm sure it's with a view to adapt over time and bring in the likes of Chilwell, Gray and Benny in future. 

Right now though, what we need is that fighting spirit back. These players proved last year that they have that in them, and if that can rear its head again then we have as good a chance as any.

Bring it on. 

5 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

I think we we will lose heavily.  There will be boos and songs for Ranieri and smug pundits and twitterati.

I still have hope that we will beat Hull and I still think we might (just) stay up.

I just think we will be the story for all the wrong reasons this evening.

Hope I'm dead wrong.

COYB

:scarf::scarf:

Taming of the shrew?

13 minutes ago, Will1981 said:

I do not see how we can ever start Gray and Mahrez in the same team as both of them are far too lazy at tracking back when we have not got the ball.

Ok will just start with players who can't attack and just good for running back how that has worked this season 

Archived