Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What Disasters Do You Remember?

I'm knocking on a bit so there's historical experience involved in my recollections.

I mostly recall, Aberfan ( I was 10, the age of many kids who died), The Herald of Free Enterprise, East Mids Airport crash (I was involved in that), the Nuclear leak in China and Russia, the Tsunami. Obviously, the more recent earthquakes. Sadly, I've forgotten a lot of the major things that have happened around the world.

All those, the obvious footy ones Bradford fire and Hillsborough.

There's also been some mining and other aircraft one, vaguely remember a plane catching fire at Manchester airport.

Earliest one I can remember is 9/11 followed by the London Bombings. Various plane crashes over the last couple of years if they'd qualify as a disaster.

The Boxing Day Tsunami.

Oh and Leicester getting relegated in 2008, which at the time felt like worse than all of those put together lol

I remember being quite affected by the Birmingham Pub Bombing as a kid. It used to terrify me when my mam and dad went out that some bastard would blow them up.

Peter Taylor.

I apologise - someone had to say it.

In terms of natural disasters the 2004 Boxing Day Tsunami was huge and the term entered common vernacular. I had got up early to fly to Vancouver and upon arrival at Heathrow the images were all over the TV screens. It does rather annoy me when people refer to 'the tsunami' since prior to this, the phenomena was massively underreported in the popular press. I lived in New Zealand for a portion of my childhood and we regularly used to have earthquake drills. We were even evacuated from our coastal home due to a Tsunami warning following an earthquake in Tonga - so I guess it is quite tangible to me.

As a child I was fascinated and captivated by the eruption of Mt.St Helens.

3 minutes ago, DB11 said:

Earliest one I can remember is 9/11 followed by the London Bombings. Various plane crashes over the last couple of years if they'd qualify as a disaster.

The Boxing Day Tsunami.

Oh and Leicester getting relegated in 2008, which at the time felt like worse than all of those put together lol

I always imagined you being older

We had a few evacuations where I worked during the Irish  troubles I remember having to help search the premises for suspicious packages a few times, frightening.

I remember being at school huddled around the television and everybody was in floods of tears sat there staring in disbelief

Ronaldinho had just lobbed David Seaman and England were out of the world cup.

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

I remember being quite affected by the Birmingham Pub Bombing as a kid. It used to terrify me when my mam and dad went out that some bastard would blow them up.

Yeah I was a young man-about-town at that time and I was quite worried that a bomb would go off in The Tavern In The Town.

Remember the London Bombings.

Our deputy head teacher came running through the corridors screaming "IT'S THE FRENCH, THE FRENCH HAVE DONE IT!".

Think it was the day after we'd beaten Paris to the 2012 Olympics and she was convinced that they'd gone all stroppy and decided to blow us all up.

I remember a government spokesman (without googling, I think it was Sir John Nott) coming on screen in BBC news flashes to read sombre announcements during the Falklands conflict and I vaguely remember the Iranian Embassy siege.

Not a disaster but could well have turned out to be the final one and that  was the Cuban missile crisis.

All frightening stuff and the government sponsored survival advice was an absolute joke.

1 minute ago, Vacamion said:

I remember a government spokesman (without googling, I think it was Sir John Nott) coming on screen in BBC news flashes to read sombre announcements during the Falklands conflict and I vaguely remember the Iranian Embassy siege.

It was...either John Nott or Ian McDonald. Agree, both had really dour and ponderous delivery - not that it was anything to celebrate. I remember the taskforce sailing and the sinking of the Sheffield.

John Nott later famously stormed out of an interview on Newsnight.  

Just now, jonthefox said:

not so much disasters,but i remember vividly watching the news about murders and then the police suspecting the Yorkshire ripper.

Just had a flashback to the "I'm Jack" recording. Amazing that someone would pretend to be the murderer and put the police off. 

Just now, Vacamion said:

Just had a flashback to the "I'm Jack" recording. Amazing that someone would pretend to be the murderer and put the police off. 

And i think the culprit was fairly recently caught.

Edit .2006

Dunblane always sticks with me as I wasn't much older than the poor kids that were slaughtered. The Beslan siege springs to mind for the same reason. There's something about the taking of life before its really started that I find especially tagic.

Thinking back, a lot of the 1980s disasters which stick in the mind were health and safety issues or arose from defective systems or errors:

Bhopal

Herald of Free Enterprise

Piper Alpha

Kings Cross fire

Heysel/Hillsborough/Bradford

Archived