Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What Disasters Do You Remember?

3 hours ago, Itsthejoeker said:

9/11 was the first I remembered.

Closely followed by the London bombings, we had "News Hour" at school where we went through the Newsround website so we watched it unfold from a power outage to something serious enough for the teacher to let us play for the last half an hour.

Yeah, I was just thinking about some of the other incidents on here and how the extent of what's going on isn't known in the initial reporting, and that's a classic example.

I can also remember the Bradford and Hillsborough coverage being initially quite casual, along the lines of, oh dear, something's going on, and then within minutes it's becoming clear that something of horrific proportions is happening.  I distinctly remember a newsflash about the Herald of Free Enterprise, and it saying that a ferry was 'in difficulty' or words to that effect, and that nobody was thought to be in any danger, when the reality was that at that point people were drowning in scores.

The most extreme one was 9/11 though - that was initially relayed to me 'as some nutter's crashed a light aircraft into the World Trade Centre'.  Well that one escalated quickly - within the hour I was thinking, 'is this the start of World War III?'

Oh, and if anyone needs reminding of why we're better off with our gun laws and not America's (as if anyone does) have a read of the Wikipedia entry for the Hungerford massacre.  I can remember it being bad, but I'd not appreciated the scale of the rampage the bloke went on

1 minute ago, Manwell Pablo said:

I remember the day Ultra signed up for Foxestalk that was a utter fcking disaster

If you were wondering how I found those posts @Webbo I was trying to find the exact date of sign up for a more effective joke and failed, but hats off, on both posts

I did wonder. It's not very often you're repped for 5 year old posts.

Enderby Murders.

Heysel Riot,

Bradford Fire,

Herald of Free Enterprise,

Leicester Army Recruitment office Bomb,

The two UK Soldiers that got lost and drove into an IRA burial service never to be seen again. (I hated seeing this on the news).

Space Shuttle disaster.

Rwandan genocide

Storming of the Iranian Embassy.

Yugoslavia melting down.

Chernobyl also melting down.

The ones that the press made the biggest deal out of were Diana's Car crash and 9/11.

Well that was a cheery walk down memory lane, I think I'll give my kids a hug tonight.

The disappearance of flight MH370.

Now biggest, bound to be after spending hundred of milions of dollars in the search, aircraft search operation. Appears to be called off now.

This incident has intrigued me with occasionally reading latest news reports on it and the various conspiracy theory possibilities over what actually happened.

I was in the center of Birmingham the night of the bombings.

I was in a pub with some work colleagues we had just sat down with full pints and the barman comes over to ask us to look under the seats and table to see if there was anything suspicious. He said bombs had gone off elsewhere in the city

We all got up and left without taking a sup of ale. As we drove through the city we were greeted with the acrid smell of burning and a sea of blue flashing lights across the city center.

20 hours ago, DB11 said:

Earliest one I can remember is 9/11 followed by the London Bombings. Various plane crashes over the last couple of years if they'd qualify as a disaster.

The Boxing Day Tsunami.

Oh and Leicester getting relegated in 2008, which at the time felt like worse than all of those put together lol

as someone who has met you i thought you were older than me! I remember dunblane, omah, good friday agreement, diana and even viaschi (or was it armani?) 

The disasters I remember as a kid tended to happen live on TV.  When space shuttle flights used to be televised, watching Challenger explode as it happened.  Valley Parade fire live on Grandstand.  Heysel & Hillsborough.

I was in the 6th Form when the Kegworth air crash happened.  I remember at school the morning after, a couple of friends saying how they had driven over the previous night to see if they could see anything.  Weird.

Jane Timson was in my year at Humphrey Perkins School. In 1969 she was on a training flight from Manchester to Edinburgh and the plane crashed after take off. There was  a crew of four, no passengers, she was the only survivor.

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-accidents-air-hostess-jane-lives-as-plane-dives-to-disaster-an-air-20440885.html

I only have vague recollection of Chernobyl. Radiation is a silent killer and I think it did have a more profound effect back then - today, it's pretty much forgotten.

Fukushima's served as a crass reminder, though.

Then Lady Di's car crash, as it had my mother in utter disbelief. :ph34r:

9/11 stands out. I think everyone can pretty much remember quite vividly where he/she was the moment it was reported, then being glued to the TV, watching the other plane hit the second tower live on air.

Diana. Vividly remember being the first in my house to wake to the news aged 10. Firstly being annoyed no cartoons were on (it was a Sunday weren't it?) went upstairs to tell my parents and they didn't believe me.

dont think I'll ever forget 9/11. I remember the whole day like it was yesterday oddly enough.

7/7 same again. Remember it so clearly.

personal disasters hearing of relatives and friends lose lives, some far too young all stick with me sadly. 

22 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

when martin ran jamie over on eastenders 

what about when max got ran over in hollyoaks and cried into OBs loving arms

14 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I don't remember it (obviously) but I was born just as the radiation cloud from Chernobyl arrived over here. I always thought that explained a lot.

That's probably just the Welsh in you Finley eheheheh jus sum late night top notch banter ;----)

9/11 is the first one I really vividly remember. I was not even 7 at the time, but even then I realised how fvcked up it was.

Not sure I remember much of Diana's death, but I remember the Queen Mum's death being all over the tele.

Vary vague memories of the Columbine massacre.

Remember the Columbia explosion well.

7 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

what about when max got ran over in hollyoaks and cried into OBs loving arms

would put the dog blowing up as one of my most vivid childhood memories. as well as when the Woolpack fell an landed on Trisha's head in that storm on emmerdale. blimey there's been some tough times out there. 

When Diana died, I didn't switch on any TV or radio, and staggered over to the garage with a four alarm hangover to get a newspaper and 20 Benson's.

I bought a newspapers with headlines "4am special - Diana injured in crash".

I went back home and still didn't put any TV or news on.  When my flatmate woke up, I showed him the papers and said "Look, Lady Di is injured."

Then he turned the telly on and it was all sombre tones and Tony Blair crying....

The Sunday morning when woke up to Lady Di's death people were moaning that there wasn't anything else on the telly. One person said "it's not like the Queen died". The same person a week later was telling me how devastated he was and how he'd always be sad about it.

The whole thing was the biggest load of bollox in history .

47 minutes ago, Webbo said:

The Sunday morning when woke up to Lady Di's death people were moaning that there wasn't anything else on the telly. One person said "it's not like the Queen died". The same person a week later was telling me how devastated he was and how he'd always be sad about it.

The whole thing was the biggest load of bollox in history .

Yeah I hate it when people faux morn, attention whores!

The first I remember was Aberfan which hit home because I was still at school and a school was buried.

The next was an environmental disaster the next year - the Torrey Canyon went onto rocks off Cornwall and spilled its oil load.  The RAF bombed it to set the fuel on fire.

It may seem strange now but at the time those disasters seemed of little significance when compared to the probability that many of my generation felt in those days that a nuclear Third World War was likely to wipe out the planet.

I know of a current disasters taking place right now in the ISIS movement across middle eastern nations and movements like Boko Haram yet its like its not even happening. 

I feel like an ashamed humanitarian watching all the Brexit news and insular first world politics when kids are in war-torn environments scared out of their tiny minds and elsewhere being kidnapped, raped, abused and killed on a daily basis.

Sorry for the rant but its really screwed up and a tad upsetting.

Archived