Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
RODNEY FERNIO

Council tax rises yet again .. 5% this year !!!

My mates missus was complaining about theirs going up to £150 a month the other day. An increase of about £100 per year. That's for 3 bedroom bungalow with two working adults in house. Mine last year ( so before any increase) was £77 a month for a single adult in a one bedroom flat. Granted we're in different councils, but the fact my small flat occupied by a single person is charged more than half that of a decent sized detached bungalow is a joke.

Its shite it's gone up with such a high percentage increase but I think when you compare what some pay compared to others they can't really complain.

The Government have told councils to increase spending on social care but will not give extra money to do it so they have to recoup through council tax. Of course the Govt. will take the credit and boast the they 'are spending more on social care than the last Labour govt.'

Luckily I get a reduction for single occupancy and being an OAP but I feel for those on min wage and with families.

16 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

My mates missus was complaining about theirs going up to £150 a month the other day. An increase of about £100 per year. That's for 3 bedroom bungalow with two working adults in house. Mine last year ( so before any increase) was £77 a month for a single adult in a one bedroom flat. Granted we're in different councils, but the fact my small flat occupied by a single person is charged more than half that of a decent sized detached bungalow is a joke.

Its shite it's gone up with such a high percentage increase but I think when you compare what some pay compared to others they can't really complain.

is that with single person discount?

Just now, StanSP said:

is that with single person discount?

It is.

You get about 25% off, which is ridiculous in itself, why not 50%. So mine would still be around £100+ compared to their £150.

£200 / month for a chalet bungalow 2 oldies. 

I feel more for the younger folk who can't  get started.

Always thought the poll tax had some  merit where everyone who uses the council services paid something, it could  be based on income/ability to pay.

Here in Ireland the Local Property Tax was only introduced in 2013 (before that there wasn't any tax). You had to put a value on your house, and the amounts due are so small. On a 5 bed house I'm paying €33 a month. Even in expensive Dublin, with many houses worth over £1m, the average payment is €56 pm.  And these amounts will not change until a revaluation due in 2019.

Then there is the joke which is water charges. These were introduced in 2015, then suspended in July last year following public uproar.  Again, these were nominal amounts: €64 per quarter.  Several on the political parties are even pushing for refunds to those who paid, pending a review! There was a high percentage of non-payment.

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

It is.

You get about 25% off, which is ridiculous in itself, why not 50%. So mine would still be around £100+ compared to their £150.

i never got why it wasn't 50% when i lived alone. still made mine £80+ instead of the £120 i pay now. 

4 minutes ago, ramboacdc said:

i never got why it wasn't 50% when i lived alone. still made mine £80+ instead of the £120 i pay now. 

I've never understood it either. Think it's even worse when you going down to one person. When my Nanna died they reduced my grandpas bill by 25%, and that when it really hit you that their ripping you off.

10 minutes ago, Mayofox said:

Here in Ireland the Local Property Tax was only introduced in 2013 (before that there wasn't any tax). You had to put a value on your house, and the amounts due are so small. On a 5 bed house I'm paying €33 a month. Even in expensive Dublin, with many houses worth over £1m, the average payment is €56 pm.  And these amounts will not change until a revaluation due in 2019.

Then there is the joke which is water charges. These were introduced in 2015, then suspended in July last year following public uproar.  Again, these were nominal amounts: €64 per quarter.  Several on the political parties are even pushing for refunds to those who paid, pending a review! There was a high percentage of non-payment.

So England subsidising NI can't see them ever wanting independence, wonder how much they pay in Republic. Are we subsidising Scotland as well?

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

So England subsidising NI can't see them ever wanting independence, wonder how much they pay in Republic. Are we subsidising Scotland as well?

Davie, just to clarify, I'm in the Republic. NI probably have similar levels of charging to you.

1 minute ago, Mayofox said:

Davie, just to clarify, I'm in the Republic. NI probably have similar levels of charging to you.

Ah ok thanks for the clarification.

2 hours ago, davieG said:

£200 / month for a chalet bungalow 2 oldies. 

I feel more for the younger folk who can't  get started.

Always thought the poll tax had some  merit where everyone who uses the council services paid something, it could  be based on income/ability to pay.

Yep, my council tax is over £200 a month now. £2,500 a year. The joys of living in the soft underbelly of middle England I guess...

7 minutes ago, m4DD0gg said:

Add to that whole sale increases on Gas & Electricity and its all good isnt it!

Broken Britain.

Not to mention how much food prices have increased since the pound has plummeted in value.

Thanks, Brexit.

14 minutes ago, Webbo said:

If you want more govt spending you've got to pay more tax. That isn't controversial surely?

It's what the govt spend it on that's more the issue I think...

13 minutes ago, Webbo said:

If you want more govt spending you've got to pay more tax. That isn't controversial surely?

There is still so much waste, it infuriates me seeing things so as the foreign 'aid' budget be protected.

5 minutes ago, SMX11 said:

There is still so much waste, it infuriates me seeing things so as the foreign 'aid' budget be protected.

I'm not in favour of tax rises, far from it, but people can't complain about austerity one minute and  tax rises the next.

Archived