Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxinsocks

Nigel Pearson to..........................

6 minutes ago, davieG said:

Sunderland owner Ellis Short wants to enter negotiations with former Derby County and Leicester City boss Nigel Pearson regarding the currently vacant managerial position at the Stadium of Light, according to The Sun.

The 53-year-old has been out of work since being axed by the Rams in October last year after just five months in charge, coincidentally the Wearsiders opponents in their Championship opener at the beginning of August.

Even though Short is keen to sell the north east side this summer, the 56-year-old wants to instate someone who is immediately available and prepared to retain the current back-room staff, in particular current caretaker boss Robbie Stockdale.

Pearson ticks both boxes with his former colleagues still in place at Leicester City, and the Englishman has proven his ability to work to a tight budget, another essential requirement demanded by the Stadium of Light chief.

However, with the Wearsiders currently residing within a desperate state of uncertainty, the red and white army have shown disapproval to the current ongoings and it remains to be seen whether the ex-Derby man would be accepted as a step forward.

If they need someone to help rebuild the club then Pearson is the perfect man. My worry would be that they would still expect Automatic Promotion just because they are a big club without taking into account the fact the playing squad are atrocious.

1 hour ago, kingcarr21 said:

If they need someone to help rebuild the club then Pearson is the perfect man. My worry would be that they would still expect Automatic Promotion just because they are a big club without taking into account the fact the playing squad are atrocious.

If Sunderland expect automatic promotion this season then they're kidding themselves IMO. They don't have a good side, not even for that level. It's a poor side that's so stale.

I think Pearson would get them up in 2/3 years, but not this coming one.

Would say the same about this to any job he's linked to - don't expect overnight success but I guarantee if he's there for a while you'll be better for it.

Would be interesting as well as they have Derby on the first day of the season.

4 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

They won the league in 1742 you know. Huge club.

Guest FriendlyRam

They are a big club in this league though, probably the biggest in terms of fanbase and history along with leeds and aston villa,, its a good job for him,, i never had a problem with him and wanted him to be given time. I hope he succeeds with them as long as we finish above them (IF he does join them).

Why can't you expect quick success with Pearson?

I don't remember us languishing in league one for ages whilst he rebuilt?

Sure, he continually improves a club but he did pretty well with us straight off the bat.

Reckon Pearson would do a great jon at Sunderland as long as you give him time to rebuild.

On balance, we probably had the basics there for League 1 as our defence was the 3rd best or something in the championships the year we gor relegated. Sunderland on the other hand are complete horseshit all over the park.

With Pearson, as discussed, it'll take a while before the 'benefits' of his management type starts to prove successful at the right club.

However, with today's football market being highly-demanding from the word 'go' especially with many club chairmen wanting a manager that can change club's fortunes around as soon as possible - this'll make it more difficult for Pearson to get the right club and owner to match his expertise and plan.

Will be interesting to see his next phase, as it's been a fair while now and don't think he's been expecting this long a wait for the right opportunity to come along.

On 22/06/2017 at 15:36, Tuna said:

Correct.

If reality sank in, and they let him go about sorting it all out then yeah, he'd do a fanstastic job. But I just can't see Short letting him do that, or the fans taking a longer-term view rather than throw their toys out of the pram instantly and start demanding someone more famous. I get the feeling it would be more of a Derby situation than Leicester.

Don't think Nige needs anyone to tell him to steer clear of Sunderland with a bargepole.

I think he could do a good job there, he's what they need.

Would he be allowed to turn them around? Would he be given the time? I don't think so, which is why it's a no go.

Sunderland is a huge club potentially. Massive risk but massive gain if he gets it right. They need a change of culture up there and Nige could be the man to bring it about.

That said, Nige without Shakey and Steve Walsh could go the same way as Clough without Taylor or O'Neill without Robertson. I love Nige but there's no doubt his success was largely due to the backroom staff he put together.

• 1 month later...
32 minutes ago, BrokenRecord said:

Anyone have a clue what he's up to? He's pretty much disappeared off the face of the earth unfortunately :(

It seems to happen all too often sadly if managers dont find another job sharpish. Curbishley's stock wasnt too bad after his last post at West Ham but just didnt get manage to  land a management role.

Archived