Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

Coventry City... Doomed?

12 hours ago, block15ccfc said:

Another good post. 

Yeah, I agree with the sport changing. I am sure, even with the success, you are seeing changes at Leicester which are unwanted.

However, Coventry City are a world away from what they were even a couple of years ago. Apart from the cup final last week, the majority of the city has fallen out of love with the club. We are now stuck with a core of around 9000 for home games and 800 for away games. The stadium is even worse than it was when it opened, Wasps branding has took over and it is just isn't home anymore. There isn't even a club shop or ticket office. To buy a ticket you have to go to the second floor at Coventry Rugby Club into a shared office to see a woman at a desk with a small laptop. It's sad and embarrassing. All of that is without taking into account the main problems the club faces.

Thankfully we did have that day two weeks ago at Wembley, it gave me a little bit of hope. Not much, though.

Have to say, I've never had any issues with Coventry (they're not a derby team - the m69 derby doesn't exist imo). Really sad to say a proper club dying on its arse. Looking at this above, i'm reminded of going to Filbert Street in the early 90s when we got 13-15k each hoe game. That was in what is now the championship so 9k for a team going down to league 2 must mean there is latent support there somewhere  -i guess you need some success to draw it out though which is the hard bit. Something really needs to be done about the way football has gone. 

42 minutes ago, Corky said:

Are there any games you are looking forward to? What would be the nearest game?

Crewe is probably the closest. We usually sell the 2600 out, so it should be one of the better games.

Other than that we have got potential trips to Forest Green Rovers, Accrington Stanley and Dover Athletic to look forward to. How sad that a club representing a city of 350,000 people will play a side representing a village with a population of 5000.

I find a few comments in here absolutely barmy and lacking a sense of perspective so badly it's just baffling.

I get being amused and I won't pretend I've never laughed at their struggles but what I can't understand is a complete lack of empathy for people who on the most part are no different to me or anyone else on this board.

Football is a tribal game and when you boil us supporters down, most of us are just regular people who support the team we do because we were born in a certain location or our families are from a certain location. Every club has it's idiots (see footage of plaza mayor on Wednesday), every club has some regular supporters who might occasionally do something or sing something that upsets someone else, every club has fans who are varying degrees of biased and every club has regular people who spend god knows how much time and money on watching 11 men boot a ball around a field year in year out because they are, for lack of a better description, addicted. 

The only thing that separates me from @block15ccfc is that I was born a couple hundred metres away from Filbo to a Father who had been watching the City since he was born (in the same city in the 50s) and block15 was not (I am assuming you weren't born in LRI. If you drew a circle with a radius of 20 odd miles around the centre of Leicester and put 4 points on that line to suggest alternative places of birth, I could quite easily have supported Cov, Derby, Forest or even Northampton. Say what you like about support numbers etc, but when a club is being run into the ground and regular football fans are seeing their beloved football club ripped from in front of them, why do we have to maintain such tribalism about it? Can anyone actually imagine what it would be like to lose Leicester? The club just not existing? The thought is enough itself, thanks.

If I saw a lad I used to know (who occasionally took the mick but was harmless) get a bit too drunk one night, make a wise crack and end up with a black eye I probably wouldn't care about his temporary pain.

But if he got a bit too drunk, made the same wise crack and ended up in hospital cause some nobs decided he deserved to be mugged and beaten within inches of his life I wouldn't be laughing, I would be hoping that he was Ok and that the experience might help long term.

On 4/15/2017 at 23:21, block15ccfc said:

Crewe is probably the closest. We usually sell the 2600 out, so it should be one of the better games.

Other than that we have got potential trips to Forest Green Rovers, Accrington Stanley and Dover Athletic to look forward to. How sad that a club representing a city of 350,000 people will play a side representing a village with a population of 5000.

Cheltenham? 

On ‎15‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 23:21, block15ccfc said:

Mansfield and Notts County are surely closer than Crewe? Stevenage and Luton is what 65 - 70 miles at most as well? Port Vale would probably be the closest if they come down with you.

On 14/04/2017 at 19:08, Hollism said:

I know a lot of Cov fans and they've all been full of praise for Leicester funnily enough. Don't know any STHs though, or even any that actively protest. Just a load that have given up on the game and bought Wasps memberships.

Yes, that's the impression I get playing so much of my golf near Coventry. People mention watching The Wasps but don't admit to any connection with Coventry City unless asked directly and that's just to invite a tale of despair and despondency.        

Like aj's post. Clubs have always been in a constant state of wax and wane but do any of us really want rival clubs from the midlands actually to disappear? I grew up in the city and quite a lot of my family are still there and have been City supporter since the sixties although I was not born in the city, left for pastures new in 1977 and have never been able to return.

If family circumstances had been slightly different I might never have even lived in Leicester, and my local club might have been Charlton or Blackpool. Also clubs, like Cov, which have been fvcked up by incompetent or greedy owners.

If there is a message to this and SISU succeed in wiping the present CCFC off the map may a new club arise from the ashes and rise up the leagues to resume our local rivalry one day.

• 4 months later...

Tim Fisher getting abuse off Cov fans. Appreciate he's part of the group that have caused many of Cov's problems but its rather distasteful to be abusing the bloke at a train station on his way home. Anyway, I am amused by the fact he walks away at the end and Cov fans start fighting amongst themselveslol

Archived