Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Germany v England - Weds 22nd, 19:45

That was Southgate being Hodgson with a bit of an attacking formation. England had the majority of possession and looked reasonably good on the times they went forward, however we lacked a finisher, there was no real threat. We had chances but ultimately we had nobody who could really make a difference and that's where Germany, albeit they were poor,  had the better chance of scoring from a single chance. So it proved, and it had to be HIM!!

We played the ball around well and challenged high up the pitch and got into Germany players faces and spaces but that's no good if there's no end product. Apart from Alli hitting the post I can't think of any other real chance we had.

8 minutes ago, Donut said:

If id have known you were going to post the exact same thing id not have bothered.

Could just as easily say germany beat us in 1st gear.

You could easily say that.

You're clearly wrong mind.

Just now, Donut said:

Well im not because germany won 1-0.

They've won because we missed our chances and they took their only one.

They're lucky to have won tonight. They were awful and scored with pretty much their only chance of the game.

Just now, AKCJ said:

They're lucky to have won tonight. They were awful and scored with pretty much their only chance of the game.

Yep. So they won when not at their best. 

I said theyd won in first gear. As in, not at their best.

They did.

3 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

And we missed every one of ours. Finishers. We don't have even one based on what I saw tonight.

Thought they did alright, played with confidence when on the ball and pressed well when off it.

Poor decision making and poor finishing was the only downside.

Walker & Bertrand the pick of the bunch for me.

2 minutes ago, Donut said:

Yep. So they won when not at their best. 

I said theyd won in first gear. As in, not at their best.

They did.

Winning in first gear means winning without trying.

Am I to expect more death threats for quoting you by the way?

3 minutes ago, Parafox said:

And we missed every one of ours. Finishers. We don't have even one based on what I saw tonight.

Vardy is a finisher as we know well, trouble is that you have to play to his strengths and we didn't.

Not sure Lallana or Alli played Vardy in all night.

Just now, AKCJ said:

Well whichever way you look at it theyve won the game and not been at their best.

2 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Vardy is a finisher as we know well, trouble is that you have to play to his strengths and we didn't.

They didn't appear to. Are you suggesting Lallana and Alli aren't team players?. Spurs players with no grudge to bear? Surely not.

5 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Am I to expect more death threats for quoting you by the way?

Dunno. Maybe. You seem to revel in being the joey barton of foxestalk.

Just now, Parafox said:

They didn't appear to. Are you suggesting Lallana and Alli aren't team players?. Spurs players with no grudge to bear? Surely not.

Wouldn't say they've got a grudge or aren't team players but they're used to playing with slower strikers with more technical ability.

Plenty of times Vardy was on the last man but Alli and Lallana either didn't think to play him into space or preferred to play another pointless pass into the midfield.

8 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Agreed. I actually thought Lallana was costly for England tonight in the sense that, for all his technical prowess, he doesn't always pass it quick enough. He's a good player but he had a tendency to slow down attacks by taking too many touches. There was 5 or 6 occasions when Vardy was right on the shoulder of Hummels and I was screaming for the early ball only for Lallana or Alli or whoever to turn back inside and play a needless pass. There's something to be said for just getting it forward as quickly as possible.

29 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

FoxesTalk's resident optimists at it again.

But it's true, Germany's track record in friendlies is dreadful. They treat them like what they are, part exhibition, part opportunity to experiment.

Still hurts to see Germany with four stars above their badge and us still with only a lowly one.

But I'm more confident of England long term under Southgate than I have been with many previous Managers, so I'm prepared to give him time to get it right.

And I hate the blue kit. It's not us. Bin.

Dont really understand how people have so much faith in southgate.

Every recent manager except McLaren walks through qualifying and picks up the odd friendly win against a good team.

It then goes pear shaped in a tournament which is all that counts.

So what does Southgate say or do that convinces people so much he will turn england around?

As of yet, southgate doesnt even have the results of worse managers....2 wins in 5 and one was a freebie vs malta

Not an attack on southgate fans but whats he doing to convince you so strongly?

17 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Wouldn't say they've got a grudge or aren't team players but they're used to playing with slower strikers with more technical ability.

Plenty of times Vardy was on the last man but Alli and Lallana either didn't think to play him into space or preferred to play another pointless pass into the midfield.

I agree with you, several times he was the front man and in space but they played the ball behind him.

10 minutes ago, Donut said:

Dont really understand how people have so much faith in southgate.

Every recent manager except McLaren walks through qualifying and picks up the odd friendly win against a good team.

It then goes pear shaped in a tournament which is all that counts.

So what does Southgate say or do that convinces people so much he will turn england around?

As of yet, southgate doesnt even have the results of worse managers....2 wins in 5 and one was a freebie vs malta

Not an attack on southgate fans but whats he doing to convince you so strongly?

Fair post and fair questions so I'll do my best to answer...

I wouldn't say I was a Southgate 'fan' but he's in post now and therefore he gets my full support as an England supporter.

I'm not 'convinced' he'll turn us around, but I think he's currently the best man for the job. He's young, he's ambitious and I sense the players like his approach.

It's still very early days for him and I think we need to stick with him while he experiments and finds his best team and formation. Let's face it, we've hit rock bottom so we need some stability and a foundation to build on now.

And I really don't see what our alternatives are. We've tried old and experienced and we've tried foreign, so maybe it's time to give a young, fresh and motivated manager a chance now.

I just hope the FA stick with him even if he has a wobble. I genuinely think he's got a decent pool of players to pick from if they're all fit and available, so let's see what he can do with them.

He may well fvck it all up but he may also surprise us, so I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt.

If not Southgate, then who?

5 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Fair post and fair questions so I'll do my best to answer...

I wouldn't say I was a Southgate 'fan' but he's in post now and therefore he gets my full support as an England supporter.

I'm not 'convinced' he'll turn us around, but I think he's currently the best man for the job. He's young, he's ambitious and I sense the players like his approach.

It's still very early days for him and I think we need to stick with him while he experiments and finds his best team and formation. Let's face it, we've hit rock bottom so we need some stability and a foundation to build on now.

And I really don't see what our alternatives are. We've tried old and experienced and we've tried foreign, so maybe it's time to give a young, fresh and motivated manager a chance now.

I just hope the FA stick with him even if he has a wobble. I genuinely think he's got a decent pool of players to pick from if they're all fit and available, so let's see what he can do with them.

He may well fvck it all up but he may also surprise us, so I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt.

If not Southgate, then who?

:claudio:

1 hour ago, Donut said:

When kane is fit youd imagine hes first name on the teamsheet.

Is there a place for vardy in a front 3?

Should be. He was one of our best players tonight. Missed him when he went off.

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

There were many times vardy was on the last man ready to run but the pass never came. During half time the stupid ITV pundits showed one time he didn't run and criticised him for it yet didn't show the other ten times he did. I even heard the same thing said on the radio. I'm sure they must see the runs, I just dont think they like him. They do keep knocking him for everything he does. I watched the penalty appeal a few times and to me it did look like a penalty, he did look for it kicking the ball forward but the keeper does know he's there and did go into him.  Yet all the pundits shouted cheat and dive, no doubt it will be a main topic on talk sport tomorrow.

8 hours ago, AKCJ said:

Lallana didn't but Alli did when Vardy lost control and attempted the worst dive I've ever seen. 

Archived