Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
boots60

Annoying words or phrases that have crept into football media vocabulary

CUTE

The use of a word that used to describe, for example, a new born baby or a cuddly toy has been bizarrely hi-jacked by our media pundits. In the past week alone I have heard Alli's dive over a leg for Tottenham & Vardys (slight!) over reaction to Nasri's nut both described  as Cute. Also several mentions of cute passes & even a cute left foot!

Can there be a more badly used word or phrase in football?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boots60 said:

CUTE

The use of a word that used to describe, for example, a new born baby or a cuddly toy has been bizarrely hi-jacked by our media pundits. In the past week alone I have heard Alli's dive over a leg for Tottenham & Vardys (slight!) over reaction to Nasri's nut both described  as Cute. Also several mentions of cute passes & even a cute left foot!

Can there be a more badly used word or phrase in football?

I had to Google this as I was aware of Irish English using a different sense of "cute": e.g. "he's a cute whore", meaning "he's a cunning bugger".

Seems that it's also used in North American English, so this is probably just more creeping Americanization of English: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/cute

North American informal Clever or cunning, especially in a self-seeking or superficial way.

‘she had a real cute idea’
‘the two brothers were cute enough to find a couple of rich women and marry them’

My contribution. I have to laugh every time a footballer is interviewed and says: "credit to the lads, they set their stall out"....which is quite often. :D

5 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

This is something that has snuck in over the last few years and I feel is part of this weird Americanisation of sports that we're going through. Referring to teams (collectives) as individuals.

Leicester is doing well this season.

It doesn't work. It's grammatically incorrect. If you're referring to us a singular then the correct way of addressing us beyond that would be 'it', as follows :

Leicester is doing well this season. It is top of the league.

It should be :

Leicester are doing well this season. They are top of the league.

We would all refer to our team as 'us' or 'they' so it follows that the correct article should be 'are'. It should never be Leicester is

This one has annoyed me for a long time!

Just now, TiffToff88 said:

This one has annoyed me for a long time!

It's borne out of American franchise teams, where the fans don't count and aren't included in the ethos and culture of the club. We are drifting towards this mindset and people are willingly doing it because they like to sounding American.

To whit : the use of the word Winningest sneaking into the Guardian. It's mindless pandering to the 'cool' TV culture.

• Like 1

So many strange sayings specific to football!:

a 'tidy' player  -always puts the washing up away as he does it?

'ponderous' midfielders - spend half time studying the works of Sartre?

a 'cultured' left foot - just wtf? also they only ever say it about left feet for some reason

teams having a 'cutting edge'

• Like 2

"I'm a big fan of his" and "he doesn't play enough for me" in fact any phrase that ends with "for me"

They are a couple of annoying phrases that Danny Murphy often comes out with.

Don't get me wrong, I like Danny as a pundit but I think it's his way of sucking up

to current players.

32 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

This is something that has snuck in over the last few years and I feel is part of this weird Americanisation of sports that we're going through. Referring to teams (collectives) as individuals.

Leicester is doing well this season.

It doesn't work. It's grammatically incorrect. If you're referring to us a singular then the correct way of addressing us beyond that would be 'it', as follows :

Leicester is doing well this season. It is top of the league.

It should be :

Leicester are doing well this season. They are top of the league.

We would all refer to our team as 'us' or 'they' so it follows that the correct article should be 'are'. It should never be Leicester is

You should go for a beer with @HighPeakFox mate. You two would get on like a house on fire lol

Just now, Izzy Muzzett said:

You should go for a beer with @HighPeakFox mate. You two would get on like a house on fire lol

Honestly, I feel like I've waited my entire adult life to vent that. This topic is going to be my magnum opus in terms of contribution to FT. 

If HighPeakFox wants a beer I'll gladly take the time.

• Like 1