Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
boots60

Annoying words or phrases that have crept into football media vocabulary

On 30/01/2018 at 21:39, StanSP said:

During Huddersfield vs Liverpool tonight, as Oxlade is about to be subbed on

Fletcher: looks as if Oxlade-Chamberlain is about to come on
McManaman: yeah, looks as if Oxlade-Chamberlain is about to come on.

Despite McManaman so much. One of the most biased around, too. 

Couldn't agree more. Terrible commentator/pundit. Never has anything positive to say about anyone outside of the big teams or anyone he doesn’t particularly like. Spends more time slating players and using ‘In my day...’ than giving an account of what’s actually happening.

BT Sport offer terrible coverage and BT Sport Score is worse than it was using for Teletext to check the scores.

BT are way behind Sky and BBC in my opinion. 

Edited by Leeds Fox
  • Like 2

"When you are at the bottom/ struggling, these things go against you".

No they don't, if a shot hits the post and stays out, you've missed a chance and you probably won't get many more. Top teams tend to create a lot more chances so those misses aren't as costly. Similarly with things like deflected goals conceded- it happens to every team but it isn't bad luck, teams at the bottom generally aren't good enough to turn it around or take advantage themselves.

• 5 weeks later...

Upping this as heard another classic cliche on the radio yesterday

"I'd pay money to watch Liverpool"

"He's one of the few players I'd pay money to watch"

Indeed. Like the vast majority of individuals who attend football matches, money needs to exchange hands before entry is permitted.

This may not be a new one but the 'modern football is rubbish' narrative spun out by fans is a bit of a cliche. 

Article on a former player or era (say 2003) appears in the news. Social media gets all nostalgic and is sad that there is no characters in the game anymore. 

10-15 years later article on 2018 season appears. Social media gets all nostalgic and is sad that there is no characters in the game anymore!!

I was looking at the 'prepare to feel old' topic when I thought of this. :ph34r:

Edited by Blue ROI

Not a phrase, but a tone...

When people like Steve McManaman, Owen Hargreaves etc continually feel the need to criticise players and make constant sarcastic comments about what they are doing in the game.

These players were better than you

1 hour ago, Donut said:

When people like Steve McManaman, Owen Hargreaves etc continually feel the need to criticise players and make constant sarcastic comments about what they are doing in the game.

I'm sure you've never criticised a player...

1 hour ago, lildave3 said:

I'm sure you've never criticised a player...

It turns their commentary into unwatchable rubbish. Mark Lawrenson was the worst for this.

Unless its Messi and Ronaldo, no one ever does anything good. Ever.

4 hours ago, Donut said:

You could say that about most pundits like Danny Mills and Savage who are ****ing idiots but at least McManaman and Hargreaves were very good players.

On 22/03/2017 at 12:35, foxile5 said:

There's so much to be angry about in the modern game. It's a treasure trove.

I genuinely love this thread.

That one!!!!!!!!!

The use of genuine.

"he's got genuine pace" Would that be like him over there that's got spurious or mock pace?

• 1 month later...

"He's got to be stronger there"

If a player is outmuscled it might be that their body shape was poor or they didn't anticipate the player or they need to be more aggressive in that instance but just saying "be stronger" is shit. You couldn't get away with saying "be better at football" or "be faster".

It's bugged me for a while now....

"You've got your Messis, your Ronaldos, your Mahrezs......

Well, actually, no you haven't. There's only one of each. I'm not sure I even know what such a phrase is meant to mean.... 'you've got skilled players like Messi, Ronaldo and Mahrez'???

Edited by CarbonVirtine
and nobody noticed it... sheesh ;)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lildave3 said:

The word cheat gets banded around far too much these days. 

It's a bit easier to say than 'unsportsmanlike person'. Cheat is one of the synonyms for that, so I don't see the problem. Trying to bend rules and/or gain an unfair advantage = cheat.

• Like 1