Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
boots60

Annoying words or phrases that have crept into football media vocabulary

16 minutes ago, Detroit Blues said:

I'm an offending party, and i'd like to defend myself lol

"A collective noun names a group of individuals or things with a singular form. Examples of collective nouns are: faculty, herd, team. There are collective nouns for people, animals, objects, and concepts. The use of a singular or plural verb depends on the context of the sentence. If one is referring to the whole group as a single entity, then the singular verb is best: The school board has called a special session. When a group noun is used with a singular determiner (e.g., a/an, each, every, this, that), singular verbs and pronouns are normal: The team is away this weekend; they have a good chance of winning. There are other contexts where the plural verb is more natural: My family are always fighting among themselves. When the individuals in the collection or group receive the emphasis, the plural verb is acceptable. Generally, however, in American English, collective nouns take singular verbs. In British English, collective nouns are more often treated as plurals that take plural verbs."

Source: http://blog.dictionary.com/collective-nouns/

So you'd be right in complaining about British people using singular verbs, in the same way that I cringe anytime Americans use British slang. 

Where i do have an issue is when you expect other people to change their language to satisfy your own preferences. People slated Bob Bradley for using Americanisms at Swansea. I personally think he should have just owned it, and used the word "Soccer" to drive the media crazy

This is the crux of my argument! In America the fans are distanced from the team...it's a franchise culture and the team a singular business. It's an it. In England we have a more enduring relationship with our teams...they never move city. It's a we/they.

It's not so much the usage, I can stomach that much. It's the immediate saturation of it. It wasn't the case ten years ago, it was always a case of 'are'. It's a symptom of the steady Americanisation of football...we don't need it. I don't want The Fearless Foxes Franchise, based in Daventry, playing in the Midlands Invitational Regional.

If we're going to use the determiner 'is' then we need consistency and every teams fans need to be referred to as 'its fans'. Similar, 'it is top of the league'. If we have consistency across the board then there's no recourse for argument.

Edited by foxile5

One thing that I dislike is how some players of African descent are described. Can't go through a game without the terms pace and power is used to describe them. And "good in the air". Heard the other week a pundit describe Raheem Sterling as having "pace and power". What power does Sterling have? It is a tired lazy generalisation. Not everyday "pace and power" talk. Sometimes its okay to mention their technical ability or reading of the game or positional sense or vision. 

2 hours ago, Koke said:

One thing that I dislike is how some players of African descent are described. Can't go through a game without the terms pace and power is used to describe them. And "good in the air". Heard the other week a pundit describe Raheem Sterling as having "pace and power". What power does Sterling have? It is a tired lazy generalisation. Not everyday "pace and power" talk. Sometimes its okay to mention their technical ability or reading of the game or positional sense or vision. 

Haha yeah, pace and power = he's black and technically limited

On the other hand all left footed centre midfielders apparently have a wand of a left peg.......

"He's a proper football man"- completely meaningless comment usually used by the Redknapps, Merson, Richard Keys etc. Mostly applies to failing, mediocre British manager who is their mate and not some random foreigner like Marco Silva.

• Like 1

"I hope he stays healthy this season." Another American phrase, I'd like our players to stay healthy too but I think they're more likely to get an ACL injury than Coronary Heart Disease, it's "'fit' or 'fitness' not 'health' or 'healthiness'.

• Like 1

I've noticed that 'transition' is a bit of a buzz word with managers right now.  

'Our transitions weren't great today'

'I was pleased with the way we transitioned the ball today'

Seems suspiciously like an Americanism to me. Like 'managing the ball' - another phrase I personally hate.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

I've noticed that 'transition' is a bit of a buzz word with managers right now.  

'Our transitions weren't great today'

'I was pleased with the way we transitioned the ball today'

Seems suspiciously like an Americanism to me. Like 'managing the ball' - another phrase I personally hate.

Winner - close thread lol

Where the fvck did that come from? It's absolute bollux...

• Like 1

"He had every right to go down"...... means the contact wasnt enough to be a foul but going down makes it a foul.

In/not in a good "moment"........ ridiculous phrase

Also when people use the wrong tense......."If hes seen it he has to give it".........should be if he saw it he has to give it, right?

The "high press" seems to be the in vogue term at the moment. Loads of teams dont play this "high press" style, and many of them seem extremely effective. But there isnt a word for them because they arent in vogue. No one could come up with a word for Ferguson's tactics and i dont remember them being overly "high press".

Another thing is on match of the day analysis, literally every team in the league on the day has defended shockingly.

Theres no such thing as a good goal. Every goal is a product of "shocking" defending.

And every teams defending is labelled as shocking.

Piss weak analysis

3 minutes ago, Donut said:

Also when people use the wrong tense......."If hes seen it he has to give it".........should be if he saw it he has to give it, right?

Charlie Nicholas has his own tense, the perfect twattative.

He has came around the back of the defence.

The ball has went over the bar.

And what he's did after that was to walk off the pitch.

Should be knighted for services to language and shiny tight suits.

• Like 4

Another thing.

When a big team plays a small team in a cup tie.

The way commentators turn a blind eye to twattish play from the smaller team. Like player commits a bad foul, its made light of, "proper tackle" or some phrase along the lines of suggesting its a legitamate way of getting in the big teams face.

Then the commentators being overly critical of everything the bigger team does in a blatantly pre meditated fashion.

47 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Charlie Nicholas has his own tense, the perfect twattative.

He has came around the back of the defence.

The ball has went over the bar.

And what he's did after that was to walk off the pitch.

Should be knighted for services to language and shiny tight suits.

Kind of pains me that the BBC has gone from proud national broadcaster and greatest pusher of soft power in the World to.... Jermaine Jenas struggling to conjugate the verb 'to be'.

• Like 1