Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FoxesDeb

Website for new business

I'm trying to start a little laundry and ironing service from home, and will need a basic website. I've had a quick Google, and there are so many to choose from. 

Does anyone have a recommendation? Cheap and cheerful is fine!

Also is it okay to design and print flyers at home, or should I get them done professionally?

What do you mean by 'basic'? Just advertising? Or selling too.

I'm a web developer so I'd never recommend using one of those "website making" services like Weebly or whatever.

I'd say Wordpress is good for a basic website with your own domain name then use a hosting platform you like the look of. I use GoDaddy, but I'm sure others work just fine.  If you're after something basic you can install a theme for free or buy one for around £40-£50. By basic i'm thinking contact details, list of your services you offer. I think the most basic of packages you may be able to get hosting for £100 for the year. 

I know others have said do not use the free ones but could you not start with one then move on to the paid later?

You can get quite a few flyers done cheaply. I have a lot of washing that needs doing. I am awful at it. Especially ieoning.

I think for the scale of what you are hoping to do ( i.e  wanting to reach a Leicester audience)   start off with a Facebook page for it.... and then on Facebook you can then run competitions like " like and share our page to be entered into a draw for free ironing for a week " Or something similar ( terms might mean like 2 visits of an hours worth of ironing in any given week).

The next post you make will then appear on the timeline of each person who has liked and shared the competition flyer.. so say 60 people like and share the page, and each has 200 friends, that's potentially 12,000 people who will see it - money saved on printing and delivering costs. I'd start that way.  But if you also do paper flyers, include your Facebook page name and maybe run another competition for something similar - " like our page before the 30th of June to be entered in to..." kind of thing.  

You could then circulate a flyer on Facebook every week or so with your price list.. Run specials, that kind of thing and it would go directly to their Facebook page.

I think with you just having Leicestershire as your target audience, you'd be more successful 'advertising' this way..

Would it be you visiting homes or collect and deliver? My washing machine is rubbish. For some reason if I run it on the hotter wash cycle the machine fails to empty after the wash so overflows on the rinse hense a flooded kitchen.

Plus I do not have much space for ironing.

5 minutes ago, Rincewind said:

Would it be you visiting homes or collect and deliver? My washing machine is rubbish. For some reason if I run it on the hotter wash cycle the machine fails to empty after the wash so overflows on the rinse hense a flooded kitchen.

Plus I do not have much space for ironing.

Collect and deliver :)

1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

Tincey, sorry Firegrande, your reply was about as appetising as the food you seem to eat. 

Thanks everyone else,  Facebook seems to be the way forward ?

I appreciate the feedback

Much appreciated 

I've got all my design work on Squarespace, £20 domain for the year and £10 a month to keep it running. Looks fantastic and is easy to use if you aren't a developer. I don't rely on traffic though, just need a good looking online platform to show my work off and link people to.

You should have a look, they do free trials and you don't have to sign up for anything that'll cost you unless you fancy!

Archived