Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
casablancas

PayPal scam

1 hour ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Do you know, I presume you do, Adam Davidson?

If not, report to relevant authority.

Why would you go through gumtree to sell a laptop to someone you know? He doesn't know him.

Update. PayPal have finally got back to me.

"Thank you for partnering with PayPal to combat fraudulent emails.  We 
take reports of suspicious email very seriously.  Your submission helped
us take the appropriate action needed to protect our customers.

We analyzed your report and determined that the suspicious email was 
likely fraudulent.  If you haven't done so already, please delete the 
original.  If you believe that you were also the victim of fraud related
to this email, please take the additional steps:

1. Open a new browser and type in "www.paypal.com"
2. Log in to your PayPal account.
3. Click "Security and Protection" near the top of the page.
4. Click "Identify a problem."
5. Click "I think someone may be using my account without permission."
6. Click "Unauthorized Account Activity."

If you have any other questions about PayPal security, please visit the 
PayPal Security Center.

Thanks again for the report.
PayPal Security

Copyright© 2017 PayPal Inc. All rights reserved."

I think if you sell it on eBay and someone pays you into your PayPal so you can see it you will be fine. The thing that puts me off selling high value items on there is the horror stories I've heard about people doing charge backs after they've received the item, although admittedly I don't have direct experience of it. Maybe you're better off offering cash on collection only, although obviously this restricts your potential customers. 

17 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I think if you sell it on eBay and someone pays you into your PayPal so you can see it you will be fine. The thing that puts me off selling high value items on there is the horror stories I've heard about people doing charge backs after they've received the item, although admittedly I don't have direct experience of it. Maybe you're better off offering cash on collection only, although obviously this restricts your potential customers. 

This is what's put me off selling it. Is a MacBook Pro so worth a fair amount. I have also heard of all these stories and it's causin hesitation but I just don't use it. 

9 hours ago, casablancas said:

Need advice lads. Selling something via gumtree but I have reason to believe this is actually a scam. But could do with someone else having a quick look. 

"

logo_emailheader_113wx46h.gif

scr_emailTopCorners_580wx13h.gifpixel.gif

Please process this order as soon as possible

Dear Chris,
You received a payment from Chris Jeff. The money is pending and deposited in PayPal escrow account.The payment will not reflect in your account balance until we receive the proof of shipment from you for confirmation and, once shipment is confirmed, the money will be in your available balance within few minutes. This will help us continue to be a safer way to buy and sell.
How can I get my money sooner?
You should be able to get your money within few hours upon confirmation of shipment.
  • Send the item to the buyer's postal address as displayed on this page.
  • Email us a proof of shipment such as shipment confirmation code/receipt reference number, this is required for shipment verification in other to transfer the money to your account immediately. 
  • For items or services that cannot be physically delivered (for instance, digital goods like eBooks or smartphone apps), mark the order as Processed on the Transaction details page and provide any additional details requested.
Tip: The Tracking Number must be e-mailed through our Automated Verification ISLYou may contact PayPal customer service by Clicking Here or reply directly to this email by using the reply button in your Mail Box and Quote the below Transaction ID for quick recognition of this transaction.
Payment Details:

Amount (pending): £780.00GBP

Transaction ID:  

Send to address: 
NAME
Flat Mayfield Road, 
Salford, 
M7 3WZ.
UNITED KINGDOM

For this and all future transactions, we recommend that you:
  • Send to the buyer's address on this page only.
  • Use a delivery service that offers signature confirmation.
  • Save all tracking information or other proof of delivery.
Yours sincerely,
PayPal

pixel.gifscr_emailBottomCorners_580wx13h.gif"

I have delwted the dudes name and most of his address. I was hoping someone has more experience of using gumtree and PayPal. I am loathe to send an 800£ laptop without the money actually in my account. 

Any advice would be handy. Will try and contact PayPal again this am. 

It`s a scam mate, be very careful cus they can make it look so convincing and you could lose a lot of money.

I was selling 2 sofas last year on Gumtree and this person made out this courier was going to pick them up but she couldn't get to the bank to pay them the money as she was in a wheelchair.

She was going to pay me the money for the sofas plus the money for the courier for me to pay them.

This is what she said....

Hello again,
I am glad to inform you that i have made the payment! PayPal said that they have sent you a confirmation email so kindly check the inbox of your email.
I had a little problem with the agent they said they can only schedule the pick up date and time after they receive their pick up fee in their head office via moneygram,but due to me being on wheelchair  i'm unable to get to a moneygram shop to send it. I added the £285 they charged for the pick up and £40 for the moneygram charges,you will receive the total sum of £245. 
You'll send £285 to them via moneygram today and here is the details needed for the transfer below:

Name: Manjinder Singh
                 Address: Nicosia 2020

Please let me know once you've sent the money so that i can make necessary arrangements.

On ‎27‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 08:55, Fox92 said:

I keep having trouble with PayPal. It says someone gets into my account so they lock it and then I have to change my password to unlock it. And then about a month later (this way about two weeks ago now) it happened again.

When I spoke to them on the phone they were talking about fraud/someone suspect somehow accessing my account.

Yes, I have had just such an experience twice. On one occasion some £800 was taken from my account. Their fraud squad became involved, and I was eventually refunded the money.

Remember when I was young I tried to sell an old PSP on ebay (this was before ebay gave the option of 'payment immediately on sale').

Well I 'sold' my PSP about 3 times, each time being sent a fake paypal payment receipt and being given the delivery instructions to send it to some obscure country. 

In the end I sold it to blockbusters for about half the price... 

Archived