Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TiffToff88

The Foxestalk World Cup of Food - FINAL

World Cup of Food - Final & 3rd Place Playoff:  

130 members have voted

1. 1. FINAL - Fish & Chips (UK) Vs Tandoori Chicken (India)

2. 2. 3rd Place Playoff - Doner Kebab (Turkey) Vs Burrito (Mexico)

3 minutes ago, MPH said:

Since when has a tortilla looked like an omlette?!?

1 minute ago, Alf Bentley said:

Tortilla Española or Spanish Tortilla, to use its full name.....as opposed to the Mexican tortilla you might be thinking of.

even on food threads people just keep getting Alf-ed. That relentless pursuit of facts and evidence is so damn satisfying.

6 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

I wouldn't trust his advice on Spanish food given the reaction he got after putting Chorizo in Paella.

I'm unaware of this controversy and won't involve myself, but never mind putting chorizo in paella, I'd put it in a chocolate milkshake! 

Love chorizo. Though I reckon Portuguese food is better than Spanish (less grease, more subtle flavours, hearty veg & fish).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I'm unaware of this controversy and won't involve myself, but never mind putting chorizo in paella, I'd put it in a chocolate milkshake! 

Love chorizo. Though I reckon Portuguese food is better than Spanish (less grease, more subtle flavours, hearty veg & fish).

He got loads of death threats because apparently putting chorizo in Paella is a massive no-no.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/jamie-oliver-paella-recipe-chorizo-a7453561.html

The internet is a fvcking weird place.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MPH said:

Since when has a tortilla looked like an omlette?!?

17 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Tortilla Española or Spanish Tortilla, to use its full name.....as opposed to the Mexican tortilla you might be thinking of.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/eggs-recipes/spanish-tortilla/

Spanish tortilla

14 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

even on food threads people just keep getting Alf-ed. That relentless pursuit of facts and evidence is so damn satisfying.

In my defense, it is called a Spanish omlette in England! and also its name is tortilla española  not just tortilla, which is, as you correctly said, something completley different 

Edited by MPH

10 minutes ago, MPH said:

In my defense, it is called a Spanish omlette in England! and also its name is tortilla española  not just tortilla, which is, as you correctly said, something completley different 

In my defence (not defense - this is still England, not America :D)...

Exhibit 1: The post that I was responding to (below) clearly refers to a Spanish tortilla, not a Mexican tortilla.

2 hours ago, Rincewind said:

Whats the spanish one similar to an omlette with potatoes in? Love that

Exhibit 2: The Oxford English Dictionary: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/tortilla

Definition of tortilla in English:

NOUN

• 1(in Mexican cooking) a thin, flat pancake made from maize flour, eaten hot or cold, typically with a savoury filling.

Example sentences
  • 2(in Spanish cooking) an omelette.

Example sentences

Origin

Spanish, diminutive of torta ‘cake’.

My wife accuses me of arguing like a lawyer and friends accuse me of being a pedant....can't see how they work that out. :whistle:

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

In my defence (not defense - this is still England, not America :D)...

Exhibit 1: The post that I was responding to (below) clearly refers to a Spanish tortilla, not a Mexican tortilla.

Exhibit 2: The Oxford English Dictionary: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/tortilla

Definition of tortilla in English:

NOUN

• 1(in Mexican cooking) a thin, flat pancake made from maize flour, eaten hot or cold, typically with a savoury filling.

Example sentences
  • 2(in Spanish cooking) an omelette.

Example sentences

Origin

Spanish, diminutive of torta ‘cake’.

My wife accuses me of arguing like a lawyer and friends accuse me of being a pedant....can't see how they work that out. :whistle:

Well no one was accusing you of anything so keep the lawyer arguments to your wife and not a food thread on the internet! :D

i was simply saying in MY defense... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ajthefox said:

He got loads of death threats because apparently putting chorizo in Paella is a massive no-no.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/jamie-oliver-paella-recipe-chorizo-a7453561.html

The internet is a fvcking weird place.

think mary berry got death threats for putting double cream in a bolognese the other week too. belter. 

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

I take it you've never had a Francesinha...

_DSC1181.jpg

23 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

Guessing you didn't have a Francescina in Porto.

I really should look at least at the same page to see what other people have posted. I somehow managed to polish off one and a half with a plate of chips in Porto lol.

Edited by Costock_Fox

2 hours ago, Countryfox said:

Poor woman ...        "I put it to you Mrs Bentley that you are going to get it tonight !! ...    and I show before the court exhibit A ..   in all its splendour !!" ...

The big question is.......who are the court?  :ph34r: 

4 hours ago, Darkon84 said:

I don't think giving a personal experience is blanket prejudice. I've had similar experiences. Most of the time I've been in Spain, the food has been below par and disappointing too, which is a shame. Thracian can be pretty hard going at times, but there's nothing wrong here.

Depends if you're eating on the Costa del Sol, or anywhere in Spain that is not a tourist trap. Best food in the world IMO