Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sharpe's Fox

Chip Shop

Chip Shop  

137 members have voted

1. 1. On the chips?

2. 2. The main event?

3. 3. Extras?

21 minutes ago, The Blur said:

Discharge from mushy peas.  Considered more edible for the poll than good humble old bread and butter :ph34r:

Why would anyone want that? I can't stand mushy peas, so the "discharge" from it? Its a no from me I'm afraid

3 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Only 32% of people have salt on their fish and chips?

I don't think I've ever seen anyone not have S&V on their fish and chips - ever

As a group of people who once hailed the arrival of Ahmed Musa as the next messiah I wouldn't say it's a normal sample size to be fair.

2 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

Only 32% of people have salt on their fish and chips?

I don't think I've ever seen anyone not have S&V on their fish and chips - ever

I don't have vinegar on chippy chips but I do on homemade ones, I think it's because when I was a kid they would come back swimming in the stuff. 

On Tuesday, March 28, 2017 at 10:27, LCFC_World said:

I'd imagine every chip shop has scraps, they may just throw them away straight away. Surely it'd be impossible not to, you batter the fish, put it in the fryer and it creates scraps. 

I knew/know them as scratchings.

I cant say now, but all the chip shops and vans I knew, gave you scratchings, if you asked.

There was a couple of English Chippy Vans, who worked the campsites along the Dordogne, and further north Limoges,

Original friers in their Vans, and everything on the chippy menu.advertizing scratchings, spoonfull free, bagfull 20p.

A village near Toulon, I found a french family running a english chipshop, plus they had a snackvan a few miles away

On the major countryroad selling pies and chips...

Mind you I do love also Belgium chipp ies, with their choice of sauces.

In france along trunkroads and laybys, the Frittiere sre also worth a visit with Merguez n Frit with baquette.

Many with fresh potatoes not frozen..

I never u nderstood how many English were embarrassed , when mentioning good chippies has good food.

Can we send everyone who voted for 'graveh' back to Nottingham?

OK with a meat pie but awful on chips. I prefer chips to have a very slightly crisp coating, not drowned in a brown cornflour sludge.

What about a thread on the best chippy? I have been about a lot in the last few years and nowhere matches the Grimsby in Welford Road.

A few come close: Fish Bits in Doncaster/Bentley, Fontana's in Carlisle (their haggis and chips is good), Kingfisher in Badcox, Frome and both chippies in Ullapool.

Fish Bits' portions are as big as Grimsby's. Whoever said Yorkshire folk are mean?

Worst are generally dahn sahf, particularly in soul-less suburban dumps where there isn't much competition. Soggy chips and dogfish (euphemistically called rock salmon). Eugh!!!

If I am somewhere new my spirits always rise if the proprietor is Italian.

Anyone had a few new potatoes left over from dinner the night before? Sliced them thinly and fried them up, big dollop of brown sauce? Not bad, I have to say, not bad at all. 

8 hours ago, Webbo said:

Anyone had a few new potatoes left over from dinner the night before? Sliced them thinly and fried them up, big dollop of brown sauce? Not bad, I have to say, not bad at all. 

I love bubble and squeak, so I always cook extra veg for that. I might try this sometime.

8 hours ago, Webbo said:

Yeah do that quite a bit. Sometimes purposely do more spuds than we need just to make them the next day with egg and bacon or something.

12 hours ago, SystonFox said:

May as well close chippies when new potato chips are on

My local Chippy puts a sign up proudly proclaiming they are 'Now Frying New Potato Chips'. Sign may as well say 'Rats found in kitchen'.

17 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

g'won pea wet

I quite like Mushy peas but seeing this described as discharge turns my stomach!

Archived