Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

City-based Twenty20 tournament

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

That works at the initial point - get them hooked and then they ask parents can we go watch live....

But if we take the Notts Based team as an example. What's stopping parents taking Leicestershire/Derbyshire based kids to the games? We're talking 20 minute journeys here not hours and hours.

Sad as it is, there's a lot more chance of them getting excited by the live experience at Trent Bridge than Grace Road.... so get them hooked... then get them going locally...

1 hour ago, AjcW said:

But if we take the Notts Based team as an example. What's stopping parents taking Leicestershire/Derbyshire based kids to the games? We're talking 20 minute journeys here not hours and hours.

Sad as it is, there's a lot more chance of them getting excited by the live experience at Trent Bridge than Grace Road.... so get them hooked... then get them going locally...

Twenty minutes. lol

You're talking an hour at least at the kind of times games are likely to be played unless you literally live in Derby or Loughborough, not to mention additional petrol costs. That can make all the difference for parents, who may not even be interested in the sport themselves.

56 minutes ago, AjcW said:

It's not 20 minutes - you talking 40 to 45 minutes from the central point of Leicester. Add on top an excessive entrance fee. As I've said elsewhere, East Midlands it works but take Newcastle/Durham, it's going to be 2 hours for their nearest game. Similarly applies to Taunton/Somerset. 

I am going off my experience as a kid when the Test matches were on TV. Our first thought was to play the sport with a home-made bat a family member would knock up and something like a bin to use as a wicket. The first live game I ever saw was Leicestershire play Warwickshire at Grace Road because there was a deal for the Mercury. I enjoyed it. Mostly because I could run around the stadium and then play on the outfield post match. We then went to a stage where we have dinner on a Sunday and then make us way for the open gates at second innings. Basically my Dad wasn't really bothered enough or could afford the ticket price every week. 

Similarly when I was I went Grace Road when the T20 was introduced. Again the benefits of a far more ground than a ticketed seat where I had to sit still for a few hours. 

Non Pay TV inserts the 'seed' of wanting to participate or watch live - why have ECB made obstacles to deny watching it live? It's clearly targeted at people what live in those cities but my point to that would be the people in those cities are already watching their county at home. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1

I love T20 cricket, the IPL and The Big Bash are great entertainment. I think part of it is though that I don't care who wins. I don't think I could summon up any enthusiasm for a Nottingham team or one from any other city either.

8 hours ago, MattP said:

Least I don't have to pretend to enjoy watching T20 cricket anymore.

Getting bored of it now. So many tournaments, this pointless tri-series that England are in. Sickening that Test and four-day cricket has been marginalised for this style of the game. 

The IPL and Big Bash have 2 massive advantages over any UK franchise T20 

1 The weather

2 Cricket is their No1 sport

Nobody will support a region, we’re very tribal here and are loyal to our towns and cities, it’ll be entertaining and a good night out for people living in Birmingham or Nottingham but Leicester people supporting a Nottingham based team? Can’t see it.

• 2 months later...

Making the simplest format of cricket, which they invented specifically to get new people into the sport, needlessly more complicated. That's really gonna bring in the new fans. :rolleyes:

The England and Wales Cricket Board wants to introduce an innovative '100 balls' format into its new eight-team, city-based tournament.

The concept could see innings consist of 15 traditional six-ball overs, and a final 10-ball over.

That would be 20 balls shorter than traditional T20 matches.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/43824037

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Why do we need a new format? T20 is fine.

Because it is too long, we need a new format with new teams for the new audience who won't have heard of players not even taking part in the event.

This sounds the absolute pits. A new tournament I could have handled, but 100 balls a side? Ridiculous. They're even talking about having two sets of 50 consecutive balls from each end to cut down on time, and thought briefly about taking lbw out as a dismissal method, how is this cricket?!

I'm all for increasing participation, but surely reinventing the whole game is not the way to do it. If you don't like the game the way it is, don't watch it, it's pretty simple. T20 should be a short enough format to get young people interested in the game.

• Like 1

Colin Graves has launched a robust defence of his running of the England & Wales Cricket Board and challenged his critics to put up or shut up on the proposed new Hundred tournament

In an exclusive interview with Telegraph Sport, Graves:

• Threatened to strip Surrey of the right to host one of the Hundred matches after they branded the tournament laughable.
  • Insisted the tournament will help cricket reach a lost audience that have been put off by the sport’s ‘fuddy duddy’ image.
  • Revealed he suspected he was the target of a failed coup among his opponents within the county game.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2018/05/14/ecb-chief-colin-graves-hits-back-hundred-critics-reveals-failed/

The fvcking idiot. I've never liked Surrey until now. lol

Young people are "just not attracted to cricket", which is why a new 100-ball competition is being proposed, according to England and Wales Cricket Board chairman Colin Graves.

The concept could see innings consist of 15 traditional six-ball overs and a final 10-ball over, and matches would be 20 balls shorter than T20 matches.

The 100-ball format is set in stone, says Graves, but other details are still being discussed with different stakeholders, including county cricketers.

"It is not attracting the audiences, if it was we would not have that issue," Graves told BBC Sport.

"The younger generation, whether you like it our not, are just not attracted to cricket. In all the work, surveys and research we have done, the younger generation want something different.

"They want more excitement, they want it shorter and simpler to understand. Those are the things we have learnt for this new competition and that is what we have to make it."

Graves also said plans for a 10-ball over in the new competition are "open for discussion". The format was proposed in April but has had a mixed reaction from players and fans.

"We have got a model, we have got a skeleton and the players will be involved in that," added Graves. "The new competition board is in place to virtually launch this tournament."

Graves says the tournament will be worth £8m to county cricketers, and hopes "60-70%" of fans who attend will be coming to cricket for the first time.

New audiences?

Graves hopes 60-70% will be coming to cricket for the first time

Fans on social media reacted to the proposals by describing it as "needless", "a gimmick" and "simply ridiculous" and others thought it is so madcap "players should wear clown outfits".

But England bowler Stuart Broad said it has a "unique selling point", while England one-day captain Eoin Morgan said it was "great to see innovation".

Clare Connor, director of women's cricket at the ECB, feels it will "attract more women and girls to the game".

Asked if the format was set in stone, Graves said: "Yes, as far as we and the ECB board is concerned.

"One of the things the stakeholders said to us was not to take audience away from Vitality T20 blast . They didn't want just another T20 tournament on top of what is existing.

"(Managing director) Sanjay Patel and his team have come up with something I believe that is really exciting.

"I think it is special, it is different, it is shorter. It is trying to attract the audience that we haven't got at the present time."

image.gif

Graves has proved himself to be an utter liar over the course of the last 24 hours. He has denied that counties who didn’t apply for test matches with their ‘test status grounds’ receive compensation. Glamorgan received a £2.5 million payment for the ECB. It’s sitting in print on their registered accounts. 

I say dissolve the ECB

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

I think generally the ECB do a good job, they keep the domestic game going despite the lack of public interest (I do realise it’s propped up by Sky money) not sure about this new format or if we even need it, but time will tell.

It's because of them, and their decision to sell TV rights to Sky at a moment when the sport had arguably never been more popular in England, that they're having to keep it going rather than overseeing a sport which is successful from grassroots up to professional level. Something's very wrong with a governing body when it basically keeps apologising for the sport it's running in the way the ECB have repeatedly done these past few weeks.

Edited by Voll Blau
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

It's because of them, and their decision to sell TV rights to Sky at a moment when the sport had arguably never been more popular in England, that they're having to keep it going rather than overseeing a sport which is successful from grassroots up to professional level. Something's very wrong with a governing body when it basically keeps apologising for the sport it's running in the way the ECB have repeatedly done these past few weeks.

I understand your point but it’s a double edged sword, the Sky offer I expect was lots more than any terrestrial channels were offering at the time although I don’t know amounts, and it’s helped ensure the survival of the counties, Leicestershire being one of the most needy, it’s an interesting argument though.

For me, cricket is very much a love hate sport. You don't start enjoying it as a new mid life hobby, some might go with their mates who like it simply for the piss up. Most cricket fans will have started to take an interest from junior years. Football is so big these days, rugby I would say is the second sport, it's very rare that cricket gets taught in any schools other than private as well as rarely having the weather. 

Hardly the best barometer but from probably 5 years ago at college (GCSEs) in my PE class it was only myselfand a handful of mates that enjoyed PE, things like handball and capture the flag were more popular.

Lads get into football without having parents being into it but can’t see it being the same with cricket, if my dad and grandad weren’t interested I don’t think I would be and I’m not exactly an obsessive still.