Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Stoke post match 2-0.

Rah rah, matcho, old school, back in the day, etc.

It's an attempt to, at best, "leave one on" Gray to try and make him shrink early doors or, at worst, genuinely injure.

Neither have a place in the game. It's a red card all day long.

2 hours ago, Gerbold said:

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove here - but I'm not one to accept illogical theories and neither do I take to being classed as a hypocrite. And "I'm not acting like every bad tackle on one of our players has offended my sensibilities" - just that one. 

Shawcross, with no axe to grind with Gray  (or maybe you can find some evidence the two have got 'previous') takes the boy out early on - no attempt to play the ball or even commit a hold-hands-up foul. It was a straight, malice aforethought ambush. I suspect upwards of twenty-seven thousand City fans were screaming for him to walk. Had it been Drinkwater or Huth I'd have certainly winced but my partisan affiliation to City won't allow me to scream for one of my boys to get sent off. If that makes me a hypocrite (and all those fans who were in attendance and all the other posters who've made their feelings known on this forum) , then so be it.

Being a centre-half doesn't necessarily make a player a thug - Matty Elliot and Spencer Prior were footballing gentlemen - as I recall. Where you name Marshall I can name Heskey and Robins. I don't agree about Neil Lennon but, if you're adamant, then I'll counter with Muzzy and Steve Guppy.

As for Ally Mauchlen nutting two players - well, he was combative -  but that's not exactly cynical fouling, is it? As for Walshie - well I can't argue with the record, can I? However I don't recall him being sly and/or cynical. His problem was a short fuse but we all admired him because he had guts and wasn't afraid to mix it. I don't want to condemn Shawcross for one dirty foul but he's now shown everyone who watched the game what he's capable of as a footballer. I'm sure certain Stoke fans won't be too embarrassed by that but I'm not a Stoke fan.

So I'm not going for your half-arsed theory about my stance on what he did. It was beyond the pale of acceptability - the kind of stunt Keane pulled on Alf-Inge Håland. I wonder if, had Gray been sidelined for six months, whether your thick-skinned attitude would have been so easy to assert on here.

Ok I'll keep my point as subcienct as possible. I think words that you have used such 'ambush, attack, assault, thug and criminal offence' this is a slightly hysterical and over the top reaction for two reasons.

Reason 1: this type of thing happens in football, and as I said Leicester's favourite ever player (as voted for by us the fans) had one of the worse disciplinary records in the history of the british game, hence my hypocrisy angle.

Reason 2: It wasn't that bad a tackle don't get me wrong it was a foul and a yellow but to compare it to Roy Keane is again slightly hysterical Shawcross's was a swipe of the legs not a studs up head on job. 

But anyway pointless falling out over it we clearly view it differently.

Shawcross had seen Gray pull Johnson's kegs down multiple times and thought enough was enough. He's tried to make Gray shy from the game and not want the ball anymore.

It's pathetic and that sort of attitude that stops the country from producing talented kids because grass roots is full of giant kids who just hurt the smaller trickier kids. The FA need to do something about it.

Archived