Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
broughtonblue

Shinji

1 hour ago, broughtonblue said:

Anybody know how many times  shinji has actually played the full 90 minutes in the league? 

How many league appearances and the % he's finished .

Really can't understand why he comes off every game. His legs are like tree trunks, surely can't be a fitness issue

It's true, he can't keep the pace he sets for 90 minutes. Is that a) because he's unfit or b) because the pace he sets is mental?

It's almost like he knows he's only going to be on for 60-70 minutes and so he knows he can go full-bore. It's almost like it's a plan.

Heard a stat the other he has only completed 90 minutes 6 or 7 times in 60 odd appearebces. Staggering really. Albrighton works just as hard as Shinji and runs himself into the ground every week as well but he finishes most games. 

He was good today. But we cannot go into next season with Okazaki being a weekly starter in the side.

He's almost as important to the we play as Kante. He does so much hard and vital work just behind Vardy that he helps set the tempo and pattern of our play. He managed 10 minutes longer today because stoke were so poor that no one needed to get out of first gear today to beat them. 

20 minutes ago, Koke said:

Heard a stat the other he has only completed 90 minutes 6 or 7 times in 60 odd appearebces. Staggering really. Albrighton works just as hard as Shinji and runs himself into the ground every week as well but he finishes most games. 

He was good today. But we cannot go into next season with Okazaki being a weekly starter in the side.

Yeah that'd never get us anywhere. ?

1 hour ago, ARM1968 said:

Shinji is a legend. Bloke puts more effort into 45mins than nearly any player I can think of. No wonder he's knackered by 60mins usually. 

He he isn't as fast as I'd like. He doesn't stay on his feet enough. Not a prolific goal scorer. Doesn't create enough. But by god he and Kasper would be the first names on my team sheet. We are far less a team without him. Don't have a clue how or why it works, but it does. 

He's an enigma, but that pretty much sums him up, and his importance to the team.

1 hour ago, Koke said:

And why can't we? 

1 hour ago, sdb said:

He's been poor in the games where we were complete shit yeah. Like everyone else bar our keeper. 

There's a difference between accepting he plays an important role for us and thinking he's a good footballer.

If you think he's a good footballer people can only deduce that you don't watch much football, because with all due respect, he evidently isn't.

4 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

There's a difference between accepting he plays an important role for us and thinking he's a good footballer.

If you think he's a good footballer people can only deduce that you don't watch much football, because with all due respect, he evidently isn't.

What on earth?! This clearly illustrates my original post. Because he's not technically outstanding all the time he's not a good footballer?

From your post I can only deduce you want 11 silky skilful players starting week in week out next season because positioning, movement, work rate, game management and the like aren't skills that can be attributed to how good a footballer is. 

I've been watching City for far too long, and in too many seasons there have been players (and managers come to that) who didn't give a flying one.

But over the past seven or eight years (since Pearson came in before the 2008-9 season) there have been players (every one in last season's squad) who seemed really to want it, big-time. And Okazaki is one of those players. When he's in the team, I think we at least stand a chance, because he will give it everything.

It's all you can ask as a fan - players who give a fvck, like we do.

1 hour ago, Koke said:

Albrighton hardly finishes most games, he's played 90 minutes 13 times this season from 36 appearances.

My man of the match yesterday. His work rate was phenomenonal and his close control was on another level. 

For me he's our attacking equivalent of Kante, literally everywhere and aside from the occasional moment where he loses his footing he just does the simple things really well. Yes, he doesn't score a great deal but in my opinion that's more due to the way we set-up and play rather than a reflection of his ability.

He must be an absolute nightmare for defender's to play against. His lower body strength is massively disproportionate to his size and in a league where most teams favour tall centre backs, his strength combined with his height and subsequent low centre of gravity give him a real advantage when the ball's at his feet. 

Thought this match was the best I've seen him play. Some really good, skilful touches, and he seemed to stay on his feet better than usual, apart from the times he was actually flattened by some Stoke gorilla.

We seemed to be much more on the back foot after he went off, and I'm sure it was no coincidence.

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Intelligent player and crucial to the way we prefer to play. No surprise that once he comes off we begin to drop deeper and deeper, making closing out games less comfortable than it should be. 

You beat me to it with this comment. Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed it. I think it's happened in previous matches as well.

Forget signing a number 10 or another target man in the summer, we need another Shinji! A younger, identical version with the same work rate, tenacity and drive who can learn from Shinji. Need another lightning quick CF to learn from Vardy too.

For me it's not his link up play that is is his greatest impact for us, though that is considerable. It's what he does when we do not have the ball. This is why it is so hard for a lot of people to quantify his value to us. If you watch him closely when the opposition get possession in midfield in their own half he tracks back and moves quickly into the spaces where our opposing midfielders are looking to move the ball forward. He also harries every opposition defender and midfielder by quickly closing them down from behind and putting off their timing. Though he rarely wins the ball in this way he succeeds in creating turnovers by pressuring them into poor passes or forces them into feeding the ball out wide and slowing any quick movement into the space in front of Huth and Morgan. It's very hard for opposition defenders and midfielders to settle on the ball as they always have to have eyes in their back for Okazaki hustling up behind or alongside them. They just cannot get into a rythem. He does a job that is hard to track with stats. When Okazaki does not play we get cut open so much more easily because opposition defenders and midfielders get more time to settle and pick their passes. It's so simple it's hard to see?

3 hours ago, ian_marshall said:

My man of the match yesterday. His work rate was phenomenonal and his close control was on another level. 

For me he's our attacking equivalent of Kante, literally everywhere and aside from the occasional moment where he loses his footing he just does the simple things really well. Yes, he doesn't score a great deal but in my opinion that's more due to the way we set-up and play rather than a reflection of his ability.

He must be an absolute nightmare for defender's to play against. His lower body strength is massively disproportionate to his size and in a league where most teams favour tall centre backs, his strength combined with his height and subsequent low centre of gravity give him a real advantage when the ball's at his feet. 

Reece Oxford did an interview last season and said Okazaki was harder to play against than Ozil... He just runs and runs and runs.

12 hours ago, Kitchandro said:

If Okazaki had acceleration and pace he'd be magnificent

His link up play between midfield and Vardy, and ability to hold the ball, is superb and the best I've seen while watching the club

Archived