Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
themightyfin

Time to name Shakes permanent manager?

Pretty much my only concern was his subs in previous matches. Against West Ham he strangely brought on attacking minded players to protect a lead. Against Stoke he learnt and instead brought on Amartey to protect a lead but his subs were a little late. Against Sunderland he again learnt to not only bringing them on earlier but brought the rights one on to win us the match. Only the two strikers with similar attributes on the bench in this match is my scraping the bottom of the barrel type complaint. I can't think of any good reason to not give him the job at the end of the season. If he not only proves the players respect and want to play for him but he also displays tactical finesse he'll be a crazily great manager. Did Walsh scout him out or something?

7 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Pretty much my only concern was his subs in previous matches. Against West Ham he strangely brought on attacking minded players to protect a lead. Against Stoke he learnt and instead brought on Amartey to protect a lead but his subs were a little late. Against Sunderland he again learnt to not only bringing them on earlier but brought the rights one on to win us the match. Only the two strikers with similar attributes on the bench in this match is my scraping the bottom of the barrel type complaint. I can't think of any good reason to not give him the job at the end of the season. If he not only proves the players respect and want to play for him but he also displays tactical finesse he'll be a crazily great manager. Did Walsh scout him out or something?

I might be a little concerned with his subs if he hadn't won every game.........

Not looking for a fight, just saying.

Edit

Ah, misread your post. Apologies.

I'm of the opinion that I'd like the club to wait and assess when the seasons over. I'm pretty sure that there'll be some first team players leaving and Shakeys metal will be tested in how he would adapt to any new players. Of cause though the likes of Kasper etc may stay if he remains in charge and surely that'd have an impact on the decision. 

So in short, I haven't a clue!! 

I think he's perhaps now got the job in the owners mind. But nothing will be announced while we are in the CL.

But I do think come the end of the season the club the owners and us fans will all be saying the same thing " Oh what could have been"

Shakey will hold this team together and one big push next season for a top four place.

He is very good for saving the team from relegation (well almost mathemetically secure) and he's well spoken with the press. I think the players respect him alot aswell, becuase he doesn't seem like a dick and at the same time, he doesn't seem like a pushover. 

Not that I wish for a change to our current fortunes any time soon but it would be interesting to see how he responds to a defeat / a run of defeats as part of this evaluation process. You could argue he has already done this with the Liverpool game following an awful run lead by the previous management but I mean a dip where he has been the manager for a defeat, his team, his tactics and and then turned it round in the following match following his influence in the days between games.

He has already responded to a degree of bad fortune in losing Morgan for a couple of games (but with Just Mendy and Wague also out it's hardly a "testing" injury list) and has turned a poor half vs Sunderland into another win but the more varied the tests are in the coming weeks the better. It would also be interesting to gauge fans reaction if and when this happens, we trust him to continue the current run but do we have faith in him generating momentum if and when we fall flat again? His assessment of the current squad at the end of the season regarding player retention will benefit from his first hand involvement over years not days (if it's tasked to a new manager) and his influence in being able to retain the ones we want to stay is a big factor which just leaves his approach to incoming players and the transfer market which is uncharted territory. 

there's no rush to decide now and the owners can make a measured decision in the summer when they are evaluating the season and how best to progress next season. the owners may like big name managers but they haven't worked too well, o.k Claudio last season but not this!. A director of football is certainly possible as Shakes doesn't have that much experience in the transfer market and possibly has no idea which players to bring in to the club.

Of course appoint Shakespeare, he has earned it.

From dead and buried to Great Escape Pt. 2.  He has achieved miracles.  I would like to see what this team can achieve before it is broken up, keeping the continuity and style of play going with some quality additions.  

A new manager for when this team reaches it's natural conclusion.

One thing about Shakey is he is an excellent coach. The amount of players who have improved under his coaching is excellent. Just think Drinkwater, Mahrez and Vardy. It's what gives me hope that there is still a lot more to come from Musa and Slimani. 

Where I think he might be lacking is the structuring and decision part of the game. Is this his fault? No. Every great manager has or should have an able assistant who fulfills the roles that the manager lacks. Pearson was never a coach. He was a good man motivator. Shakey filled the role of coach. Simple. 

Shakey's long term appointment is dependant on his (or the clubs) choice of assistant. Bring in an experienced man who compliments Shakey in his decision making. 

Its a different approach to what we are use to but I do not want to lose Shakey the coach, by expecting him to do the things he isn't use to. 

Do I think with right assistant, head of recruitment, fitness coaches etc. He could do th job? Yes, definitely.  

This is brutal, but I think we should wait to see who is available in the Summer. It's not just about what happens on the pitch it's who a manager can attract in terms of new signings. In this aspect I imagine a name like Mancini will have more influence and pull than Shakespeare possibly could. That's just one factor. I'm sure there are others too.

On 05/04/2017 at 08:52, sylofox said:

I think he's perhaps now got the job in the owners mind. But nothing will be announced while we are in the CL.

But I do think come the end of the season the club the owners and us fans will all be saying the same thing " Oh what could have been"

Shakey will hold this team together and one big push next season for a top four place.

I'd take top 4! 

It would be laughable if our owners were left to appoint a  "big name" manager, or football overseer, with the implied but unconvincing guarantees for our future because we somehow lost Shakespeare to another club who didn't treat his achievements so sceptically.

I think the "big name" talk is nonsense because I really don't imagine our current Premiership squad welcoming anyone apart from Craig given the incredible successes he's been involved with and the return to football sanity since he's been manager.

This "Big Name" boss or new "Director of Football" notion has advantages and disadvantages. With two people working together it can be brilliant but, with the introduction of someone with their own agenda - and a preference perhaps for an alternative manager, the relationship could quickly sour and the team's performance with it.

We already have a DoF of course and whether people like it or not he's also been a part of our management hierarchy through all the years of our recent success and some creditable years for the youth set-up too when I used to watch.

That doesn't mean I'd necessarily like him or trust him - I don't know him - but it doesn't make any other appointment easier, safer or more guaranteed to continue our success.             

Personally I'd get some more coaching talent in - and I mean talent - sound out what Shakespeare thinks would be best and who, if anyone, he'd like to having around helping and give him chance to prove that he's as capable of taking us forward as a football club, as he's been in both coaching and management thus far.  

Stability and continuity are what we need most at the moment. Not more upheaval. 

He's done a fantastic job to be fair

I was/am in the CR supporters group, so I have a little bit of a sour taste still in my mouth.

If the owners believe he is the man to take the club forward then I'll agree with their decision.

But until they do, he's still got the job and a job to do.......... let's wait

Don't worry he's going nowhere ?

Owners being sensible and not ruining a good thing or adding any pressure with an announcement as that would mean extra media etc etc at a time when we have zero breaks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived