Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
themightyfin

Time to name Shakes permanent manager?

Some people seem to think a higher Calibre manger would mean we can sign higher calibre players. 

I don't think some of our fans realise that we already have players that are better than any players we could sign. Mahrez / Vardy / Ndidi / Kasper etc, most other teams outside the top 6 could only dream of having these players, appointing Shakey makes keeping these players more likely, much more important than attracting 2nd rate players like Musa / Mendy

Word on the street is that the owners are still the sticking point here as to whether or not Shakey gets the nod to be the new manager for next seasonl, in spite of our excellent turn around since the end of February. The obvious questions are : will Shakey be the sort of manager to attract the required big names from here or overseas to be able to improve us and push us on to the next level on a regular basis (top 7) and also rumour has it that he might be 'too chummy' with the players for the owners liking.....although this appears to have brought out the best in them so maybe that latter argument is already dead in the water! In spite of the said cynicism, I dearly hope Shakey gets it - and Pearson returns as his no.2! :-)

Still need to give it a few games yet but it needs doing before the summer else I think Shakey might get the arse almost and we could end up with a Hull/Phelan dilemma causing another poor start to a season causing another poor, panicked season

On 04/04/2017 at 22:58, Paddy. said:

I think you're right. I reckon they'll give him a 12 month contract and will still be on the lookout for a big name manager. There's still that question mark about a number 2 taking the top job permanently. Will he be a Del Bosque or a Brian Kidd?

That said, I think he 100% deserves the job permanently.

At least the players will be more settled if Shakey gets the job permanently. The players are playing for him. He has got the respect of the whole team. 

14 hours ago, dylanlegend said:

Some people seem to think a higher Calibre manger would mean we can sign higher calibre players. 

I don't think some of our fans realise that we already have players that are better than any players we could sign. Mahrez / Vardy / Ndidi / Kasper etc, most other teams outside the top 6 could only dream of having these players, appointing Shakey makes keeping these players more likely, much more important than attracting 2nd rate players like Musa / Mendy

Agreed ? 

I would like to see him get the job once we are mathematically safe and then get planning for a new number 2 and maybe another coach to come in so Stowell can go back to goalie coach. Then get looking for the four players we need to enhance this squad.

Have a think of the real damage if another manager is brought in....

....Shakes leaves....ethos changes....players leave.....back to square 1.

No other rational decision without massive risk to what has been built.

Do it early and settle the place down before the agents swoop too.

15 hours ago, dylanlegend said:

High quality Director of football would make more sense and keep the coaching structure with an assistant added.

On 04/04/2017 at 21:41, themightyfin said:

Has he done enough to get the job on a permanent basis?

I say YES give the club some real stability and give him the job now.

what a massive lift it would give everyone before the Champions league game.

He obviously knows how to get the best out of this set of players and we are all but safe so give him the job now and let him start planning for next season 

It was you that said nobody at the club called him Shakey wasn't it. 

Lies!

3 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Is him being the manager really affecting our chances of signing players?

Surely meeting the man and seeing his desire and plan for the future is enough to attract players to the club, a club which i genuinely think is on the up

Players come for a salary. Only the really top players will be moving to play for a particular manager. They get paid a fortune wherever they play and they win things/play CL . 

Having shakey as manager won't stop our targets coming. The package we offer might.

On 29/04/2017 at 23:55, dylanlegend said:

They didn't want to play for Ranieri and probably wouldn't have stayed. And do seem keen on Shakespeare and are much more likely to stay. But that doesn't mean there's no one else.

If there were another manager who treated the staff well, played to the team's strengths and whose reputation not only retains existing talent but also attracts new high quality players, it'd be foolish to ignore him.

But I do want Shakespeare to get the job, and to do well enough in our final four to better attract player who'd otherwise be unsure about him. Anyone who's unsure is much more likely to join if we finish ninth or eighth.

If Shakey gets results and good performances against Watford, Bournmouth and does decently against Man City and Spurs I think he's done enough. More than anything I'd like us to have the best performing English manager in the division.

Tactically he is playing the Pearson/Ranieri game. Is that the game for the future will that get us a regular top 6/7 place?..Ranieri tried to change and the players couldnt cope. 

If Shakey stays i assume the tactics will remain.

Of course if they cintinue and have the success he has brought....all good. But i think other clubs have worked us out.

29 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Tactically he is playing the Pearson/Ranieri game. Is that the game for the future will that get us a regular top 6/7 place?..Ranieri tried to change and the players couldnt cope. 

Of course if they cintinue and have the success he has brought....all good. But i think other clubs have worked us out.

I think there's quite a bit of truth in this. Longevity can't be built on having just one style unless your someone like Barcelona who, at the time, had that heady mix of superstars to carry it out. Certainly in Europe you can't merely survive on just the long ball over the top as better teams sus it out and counter it, we do at times have to be better than we are currently at ball retention. Probably Mendy was bought with this in mind I don't know but he was well regarded at his last club with stats to back it up. Injury and no time to bed in properly possibly robbed him of the opportunity to show us, time will tell. Shakey in the last two games appears to have adopted a more defensive approach for understandable reasons but as we've seen,  it can go 1-0 either way very quickly. Players have to be willing to adapt,  if able, to what a manager sees as his game plan.

20 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Totally disagree that we've been found out, last season we only lost 3 times playing this way, and since Shakey has taken over, a defeat with a weakened side against Everton and very unfortunate goal against bloody Arsenal.

I think it's a hard system to play against, teams are so wary that they don't know whether to attack or sit back, I actually go to games thinking we can win now, under Ranieri this season we never did.

Im very much in the if ain't broke camp, what we do now is sign players who compliment the system, let teams worry about us.

Even if we did decide to change the system this would cost millions, we just don't have the personnel to play any other way.

50 minutes ago, dayday said:

Totally disagree that we've been found out, last season we only lost 3 times playing this way, and since Shakey has taken over, a defeat with a weakened side against Everton and very unfortunate goal against bloody Arsenal.

I think it's a hard system to play against, teams are so wary that they don't know whether to attack or sit back, I actually go to games thinking we can win now, under Ranieri this season we never did.

Im very much in the if ain't broke camp, what we do now is sign players who compliment the system, let teams worry about us.

Even if we did decide to change the system this would cost millions, we just don't have the personnel to play any other way.

The current (successful) system seems very reliant on vardy playing. once he goes off, we look lost and vulnerable. 

On 30/04/2017 at 07:49, Col city fan said:

Having seen some of the garbage signed by 'high profile' Sven and Ranieri, I'm surprised the owners would even consider going down that route again.

Depends who the owners have lined up?  would you turn your nose up at Rafa? 

Archived