Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TiffToff88

Am i in the wrong? (Racism debate)

13 minutes ago, Benguin said:

Another big problem for me is this whole notion of offensive words. It's just silly. It's a word who cares. What does being offended do? Does it cause some horrible painful condition or something? If what you're being called is true i.e "you're a fatty", it's hardly as if you didn't know you're fatty, if you keep eating and don't actively try to lose weight then clearly you're content with it, if you want to lose weight, then the insult might be the kick up the arse you needed. If what you're being called is subjective I.e "you're an ugly ****" then seek revenge by picking a fault with them, you can choose anything, it's subjective! If you have been told by someone or taught by your teacher or parents that what you're being called has negative connotations, then choose not to derive said negative connotations from it! It's you who interprets language, not someone else.

Actual racism, i.e oppressing a race in law or with violence is what people should care about and fight not whether the word "boy" or "jap" is racist.

That's a ridiculous thing to say. take me for example - I have cerebral palsy, i can't walk perfectly, if someone calls me "Gimp Limp" or "Crazy Legs" - yes it has happened - should i just choose not to be offended because its just "words"? 

Some fat people can't help being fat, people can't change how they look so you shouldn't call them ugly, and disabled people can't change the fact that they're disabled. Words can be hurtful, especially if people use those words with the intention to cause harm. The person on the receiving end can't simply ignore the comments.

People can sometimes say things and not realise they're causing someone harm, which in a way is how this whole thread started, but what you're saying is that nobody should ever be offended by the words of another person. And that's just wrong.

1 hour ago, Benguin said:

More that I don't really understand why people get offended and furthermore why offence is a problem. I also think that when something stops being offensive, it doesn't get said anymore. I have never been offended in my life but I'd be prepared to bet everything I own that if I gave no reaction to someone's comment they'd eventually stop using it and if I reacted heavily, they'd never stop using it.

Fvcking hell, sheltered life you've lived then. People react to different things for all sorts of reasons - social, historical, cultural - and in all sorts of ways. You seem an intelligent enough bloke so surely that's something you can comprehend?

Also, pretty sure if I kept calling you a cvnt to your face you'd react at some point.

2 hours ago, Benguin said:

There are three important issues to address when considering this:

1. Blacks make commit crimes at a much higher rate than whites. It's not racist, it's fact. Look at the crime statistics.

2. Over the past ten years, the incarceration rates of black people has declined by 1% or more each year. Whites have either stayed the same, increased by up to 2% or declined less than blacks. According to the bureau of justice statistics.

3. White people are reportedly 4 times more likely to cooperate with law enforcement than black people.

These are cultural issues and unfortunately liberals do not like to face facts and treat it as a racial prejudice.  

1 minute ago, Voll Blau said:

Fvcking hell, sheltered life you've lived then. People react to different things for all sorts of reasons - social, historical, cultural - and in all sorts of ways. You seem an intelligent enough bloke so surely that's something you can comprehend?

Also, pretty sure if I kept calling you a cvnt to your face you'd react at some point.

I mean reaction in the sense that I go and cry or get upset. If you didn't stop then obviously I'd punch you in the mouth.

7 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

That's a ridiculous thing to say. take me for example - I have cerebral palsy, i can't walk perfectly, if someone calls me "Gimp Limp" or "Crazy Legs" - yes it has happened - should i just choose not to be offended because its just "words"? 

Some fat people can't help being fat, people can't change how they look so you shouldn't call them ugly, and disabled people can't change the fact that they're disabled. Words can be hurtful, especially if people use those words with the intention to cause harm. The person on the receiving end can't simply ignore the comments.

People can sometimes say things and not realise they're causing someone harm, which in a way is how this whole thread started, but what you're saying is that nobody should ever be offended by the words of another person. And that's just wrong.

I'm not saying you shouldn't, I'm saying I don't understand it. If it's not true, or you've taken it out of context then who cares, if it is tell them to fvck off. Sticks and stones and all that.

The worst thing is in the recent past a lot of offensiveness could be deem unintentional as what is acceptable has changed but I get the distinct impression that the anonymity of the internet has increased the deliberate amount of online offensiveness and nastyness that people wouldn't have had the balls to do face to face.

40 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

Do you believe that it's right that the initial incident i brought up has become viral and been brought to the attention of the public? It's a difficult one to call in my opinion. On one hand, its a Mayor known for having racist views, calling a hispanic man "boy", but on the other hand it may well just be an old self entitled bloke attempting to assert his dominance on a younger man in a purely non-racial generally dickish move, in which case there's no reason why this sort of behaviour needs to become known to the public.

When you're a politician, it's fair game in my opinion. Lets say someone's grandfather, who is just not with the times, referred to a younger Hispanic man as "boy," you could kind of forgive him for using a mildly offensive term. You certainly wouldn't want that to be in the news, and have his reputation tarnished over it. But as soon as that person is a public figure, it's fair game. Politicians, celebrities, athletes, etc. should know that they need to be on their best behavior when dealing with the public. 

Even if he used a non-offensive term, as mayor, he should not be treating his constituents that way. People let power get to their head, and treat others as beneath themselves. They should act humble, as the term "public servant" entails. They work for us, not the other way around. 

7 minutes ago, Benguin said:

Well you've had me off there haven't you.

Well I'm in the pub playing pool so at some point I'll address your remarks but unequivocally you are so far off the mark and I'm unsure you'll change your prejudice views but I'll post a response later.

Just now, Swan Lesta said:

Well I'm in the pub playing pool so at some point I'll address your remarks but unequivocally you are so far off the mark and I'm unsure you'll change your prejudice views but I'll post a response later.

This is a chart made by a random internet user and therefore the charts themselves should not be considered evidence. I am merely posting this as to collate all the data from their sources would take hours. You can check the statistics for yourself however by looking at the federal bureau site.

https://infogr.am/Black-34991937313

41 minutes ago, Benguin said:

Another big problem for me is this whole notion of offensive words. It's just silly. It's a word who cares. What does being offended do? Does it cause some horrible painful condition or something? If what you're being called is true i.e "you're a fatty", it's hardly as if you didn't know you're fatty, if you keep eating and don't actively try to lose weight then clearly you're content with it, if you want to lose weight, then the insult might be the kick up the arse you needed. If what you're being called is subjective I.e "you're an ugly ****" then seek revenge by picking a fault with them, you can choose anything, it's subjective! If you have been told by someone or taught by your teacher or parents that what you're being called has negative connotations, then choose not to derive said negative connotations from it! It's you who interprets language, not someone else.

Actual racism, i.e oppressing a race in law or with violence is what people should care about and fight not whether the word "boy" or "jap" is racist.

It doesnt appear that you actually know the full definition of the word Racism. it isnt JUST oppressing a race in law and with violence.

noun
a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various humanracial groups determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to dominate others or that a particular racial group is inferior to theothers.
a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such adoctrine; discrimination.
hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

Just now, MPH said:

It doesnt appear that you actually know the full definition of the word Racism. it isnt JUST oppressing a race in law and with violence.

I should rephrase to actual racism that causes actual problems.

1 minute ago, Benguin said:

How have I been racist?

At least you had the good grace not to question the thick part since it shouldn't really need explaining after your comments in here.  Embarrassment of a human being.    Also if I'm being honest all the key points have been covered by other posters and I'm only posting in here because I couldn't resist testing your not getting offended comment.

7 minutes ago, Benguin said:

This is a chart made by a random internet user and therefore the charts themselves should not be considered evidence. I am merely posting this as to collate all the data from their sources would take hours. You can check the statistics for yourself however by looking at the federal bureau site.

https://infogr.am/Black-34991937313

I don't doubt your info but the conclusions you draw from it are flawed due to a huge amount of variables.

1 minute ago, Carl the Llama said:

At least you had the good grace not to question the thick part since it shouldn't really need explaining after your comments in here.  Embarrassment of a human being.    Also if I'm being honest all the key points have been covered by other posters and I'm only posting in here because I couldn't resist testing your not getting offended comment.

You do not know anything about me and are unable to contribute to the conversation or articulate exactly why you think I'm thick or racist, a bit of a pointless post really. fvck off unless you care to elaborate.

Just now, Benguin said:

You do not know anything about me and are unable to contribute to the conversation or articulate exactly why you think I'm thick or racist, a bit of a pointless post really. fvck off unless you care to elaborate.

Check the white text in that quoted comment.  Cheap tactics I know but QED methinks. :D

3 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

Is there a form of racism that isn't a problem?

I'll agree that there isn't. I think you and several other people on here have misunderstood what I am saying. I do not think everyone should go around saying whatever they want and I am not saying that using racial slurs is a perfectly fine thing to do. What I am saying is that placing so much stock in words dilutes what actual racism is. I am saying that when we stop getting offended by everything people won't have a reason to offend. It's quite simple really but the world always tries to make these issues complex.

1 minute ago, Carl the Llama said:

Check the white text in that quoted comment.  Cheap tactics I know but QED methinks. :D

But I am not offended. I was just hoping you were going to back up or your comments and if you were just trolling or trying to offend then read my response "fvck off"

Archived