Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TiffToff88

Canada, USA, Mexico or Morocco - 2026 WC

3 hours ago, martyn said:

Mexico is generally safe for Tourists - irrespective of what the Canadian travel advisories might have you believe off the back of some murders of Canadian citizens a while back.

I've spent about 6 months there across 12 visits and 20 different states as a tourist and have never encountered any issues anywhere. 

Of the mooted host cities, Mexico City and Guadalajara are statistically safer than a bunch of US cities and although Monterrey can be a bit sketchy, there is no more danger present than was at the World Cup in Brazil for example. No matches are going to be held in Cartelville.

Although it doesn't matter to FIFA these days, of the 3 countries as part of this bid, Mexico has the best football history, and the most iconic stadium by a distance, it should be front and centre of the bid.

I dont discount that a few bad apples spoil it and statistically your more likely to be killed by a car accident or something. But im a safe guy and the risk is still higher for my liking.

Mexican football culture is way better than here or the united states thats an absolute given.

I agree with Blatter in a way for once. No need for joint bids, all these countries have proven they can host major sporting events on their own. If it was two smaller nations I could accept it, but not with three huge nations bidding together.

Also, for me it's still too soon after the USA hosted the world cup. Especially since places like England haven't hosted it in over 50 years. Plus Mexico have hosted it twice in that time (I know there were exceptional circumstance second time). Other huge nations have never hosted it, like Australia, China etc. It's been years since Argentina or Spain have had it. So any bid involving the usa atm is a no from me.

• 1 month later...
On 10/05/2018 at 23:56, BlueSi13 said:

So if Mexico are allowed it.  That will be the 3rd time they've hosted the World Cup since England have.

Crazy.

1986 Mexico stood in for Colombia. 2026 - they would get just three stadiums hosting. 

2 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/06/08/sports/worldcup/fifa-vote-world-cup-2026-host.html

The vote is tomorrow and a Morocco victory is far from out of the question. Presumably African and probably Asian countries will vote en bloc for the Morocco bid?

I don't have an issue with Morocco hosting it. It's a country what loves football. 

There's actually a third option to this - FIFA can declare they don't find either bid suitable. There's speculation that China are sniffing out this option. 

On 10/05/2018 at 23:56, BlueSi13 said:

So if Mexico are allowed it.  That will be the 3rd time they've hosted the World Cup since England have.

Crazy.

Yes, but not quite.

The hosted 1986 only after Colombia pulled out.

The 2026 bid includes only 10 of the 80 odd games planned, and none after the L16 round.

Given that USA could easily host the tournament on it's own, the cynic in me says Mexico and Canada are only part of the bid to deflect some of the negative publicity against USA from just about everywhere.

You've got to laugh at us failing with 2 bids and Morocco swooping in for a World Cup. Obviously I don't know enough about Morocco to criticise it is a nation, but along with South Africa, Brazil and Qatar they'll surely be left with 8 or 9 massive unused stadiums.

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

1986 Mexico stood in for Colombia. 2026 - they would get just three stadiums hosting. 

I don't have an issue with Morocco hosting it. It's a country what loves football. 

There's actually a third option to this - FIFA can declare they don't find either bid suitable. There's speculation that China are sniffing out this option. 

There's quite a few issues with Morocco's bid. FIFA's inspectors labeled them as having high risk for stadiums (they need to spend 16 billion dollars to overhaul/build the stadiums required to host the world cup), transportation and infrastructure. Morocco has also criminalized homosexuality. I'm not sure how FIFA on one hand can try act like it is against racist and homophobic discrimination, and then award a world cup to a country that imprisons gay people.

49 minutes ago, Detroit Blues said:

There's quite a few issues with Morocco's bid. FIFA's inspectors labeled them as having high risk for stadiums (they need to spend 16 billion dollars to overhaul/build the stadiums required to host the world cup), transportation and infrastructure. Morocco has also criminalized homosexuality. I'm not sure how FIFA on one hand can try act like it is against racist and homophobic discrimination, and then award a world cup to a country that imprisons gay people.

Well they did award a world cup to Qatar, a country with questionable human rights, with no football history as such and with such a harsh climate that they need to shift it to Christmas so I guess anything is possible... 

1 hour ago, Detroit Blues said:

The stadiums, transportation and infrastructure is at the risk of their country. The World Cup will can act as a break of barriers and FIFA love that kind of ‘ability’ to prove. Morocco’s attitude gets more attention and the country has to shift attitudes. 

Lets be honest as it stands certain teams would not be able to enter the US to play in World Cup there. Would that happen? Never. 

40 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

The stadiums, transportation and infrastructure is at the risk of their country. The World Cup will can act as a break of barriers and FIFA love that kind of ‘ability’ to prove. Morocco’s attitude gets more attention and the country has to shift attitudes. 

Lets be honest as it stands certain teams would not be able to enter the US to play in World Cup there. Would that happen? Never. 

I just don't like to see a country waste 16 billion dollars on stadiums that will never get used again when it could be invested into something better. There are plenty of other countries that have the infrastructure in place to host a world cup. To put that in perspective, that's nearly 12% of Morocco's GDP. The equivalent would be if the England invested $300B into their world cup bid. That's enough to run the NHS for a couple years lol

4 hours ago, Detroit Blues said:

I just don't like to see a country waste 16 billion dollars on stadiums that will never get used again when it could be invested into something better. There are plenty of other countries that have the infrastructure in place to host a world cup. To put that in perspective, that's nearly 12% of Morocco's GDP. The equivalent would be if the England invested $300B into their world cup bid. That's enough to run the NHS for a couple years lol

It does seem crazy but it is all down to the individual federations now. I guess, in the end, it will come down to money. An American lead WC will likely generate lots more profit than a Moroccan one and a share of that money filters down to each country. For some of the poorest federations, that might swing the vote in favour of the US lead bid. But who knows? Will be very interesting to see.

looking further ahead 2030 seems to be a contest between a Uruguay/Argentina joint bid and a possible (probable) bid from England which already has the support of many in Europe, including the German FA

As a Moroccan, I want this so much. Americans do not deserve it. Some Americans are very ignorant about the game, and they also have very horrid views about the rest of the world. Obviously not all, but the percentage is sadly increasing. We are passionate for football and we deserve it. We have tried 5 TIMES and have failed. 

1 hour ago, NasPb said:

As a Moroccan, I want this so much. Americans do not deserve it. Some Americans are very ignorant about the game, and they also have very horrid views about the rest of the world. Obviously not all, but the percentage is sadly increasing. We are passionate for football and we deserve it. We have tried 5 TIMES and have failed. 

definitely no ignorance here lol

6 hours ago, NasPb said:

I understand why you want it so much. But I'm not sure your bid stands out for the reasons you mention.

The "United" bid is crazy on a number of levels, primarily for having three host nations, each of which is capable of hosting the tournament outright. To occupy three qualifying places is crazy. Mexico always qualify, USA generally do, but Canada are poor - just like a massive Scotland. lol

The Moroccan bid will require massive investment in infrastructure - not just stadiums but everything supporting the bid. Around 16% of GDP is the quoted figure, although these estimates are usually under what is actually spent.

The Moroccan bid got a boost last night when it was revealed that four US territories (Guam, American Samoa, Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands) will abstain from voting.

Fifa World Cup 2026: Canada, US & Mexico v Morocco

One side has David Beckham lobbying and Donald Trump menacing on social media. The other is promising a "European" World Cup in Africa.

But who will prevail on Wednesday when a vote is taken to decide on the hosts of the 2026 Fifa World Cup?

Morocco and a combined 'United Bid' between the United States, Canada, and Mexico are fighting for the right to stage the biggest World Cup ever held - with 48 teams playing 80 matches over 34 days.

After the controversial award of the 2018 and 2022 tournaments to Russia and Qatar respectively, Fifa has promised a "more open and transparent" vote this time.

But what are the two bids offering? How will the vote work? And who is going to host the World Cup in eight years' time?

More here - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44428947