Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Brexit Discussion Thread.

3 hours ago, Buce said:

Interesting.  Obviously you condemn such a choreographed attempt at sabre-rattling by supposed friends and allies?  

Theresa May and the Conservatives have been criticised for similar by some on here in the past, so surely this is nothing different?

51 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Probably not right wing enough for strokes...

Michael Heseltine: ‘Signing article 50 is the worst decision we’ve made’

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/29/michael-heseltine-signing-article-50-is-the-worst-decision-weve-made?

Good quote from Hezza: "People didn’t like eight years of frozen living standards and they were anxious about immigration. They were looking for a scapegoat and Europe was the convenient candidate".

That's not true of everyone who voted Leave, clearly. Some had rational or ideological objections to the EU, a strong belief in national democracy, the nation state or whatever. 

But I reckon that quote partly sums up why Leave won. If the 2008 crash and austerity hadn't happened, living standards had carried on rising and people hadn't felt threatened by immigrant labour, would Leave have won? I doubt it.

2 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Good quote from Hezza: "People didn’t like eight years of frozen living standards and they were anxious about immigration. They were looking for a scapegoat and Europe was the convenient candidate".

That's not true of everyone who voted Leave, clearly. Some had rational or ideological objections to the EU, a strong belief in national democracy, the nation state or whatever. 

But I reckon that quote partly sums up why Leave won. If the 2008 crash and austerity hadn't happened, living standards had carried on rising and people hadn't felt threatened by immigrant labour, would Leave have won? I doubt it.

Or perhaps those who were hit hardest by mass low-skilled immigration (i.e the working class) were tired of seeing the demographics of their communities change completely within the space of a few short years without ever being asked if this was something they wanted? 

What would "Hezza" know about that?

17 minutes ago, BlueSi13 said:

Or perhaps those who were hit hardest by mass low-skilled immigration (i.e the working class) were tired of seeing the demographics of their communities change completely within the space of a few short years without ever being asked if this was something they wanted? 

Then perhaps they could have directed that feeling more directly at the parties causing that particular issue and not the parties involved in its effect?

18 minutes ago, BlueSi13 said:

I suspect his butler keeps him informed whilst swanning around the grounds of his stately home in Oxfordshire.

15 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Then perhaps they could have directed that feeling more directly at the parties causing that particular issue and not the parties involved in its effect?

Which parties would they be except the EU?

1 hour ago, toddybad said:

Probably not right wing enough for strokes...

Michael Heseltine: ‘Signing article 50 is the worst decision we’ve made’

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/29/michael-heseltine-signing-article-50-is-the-worst-decision-weve-made?

Just an irrelevant old man mainly talking about his garden. Nothing to see here...

15 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

The business owners bringing in the "mass low-skilled immigration" that BlueSi speaks of for the sake of their own bottom line in the first place.

The Europeans are allowed to come here whether they've got a job or not. Are you suggesting that the businesses should discriminate against foreigners?

4 minutes ago, Webbo said:

The Europeans are allowed to come here whether they've got a job or not. Are you suggesting that the businesses should discriminate against foreigners?

I'm saying that the folks BlueSi was thinking of should, if they were really worried about mass low-skilled immigration causing demographic change in their communities and not wanting that, perhaps petition business owners to indeed discriminate in that way and restrict immigration in that fashion rather than directing ill feeling at the immigrants themselves.

I, incidentally, agree with neither - but whenever this argument comes up the rhetoric seems to be directed at the workers and hardly ever at the bosses who are happy to see it happen.

8 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I'm saying that the folks BlueSi was thinking of should, if they were really worried about mass low-skilled immigration causing demographic change in their communities and not wanting that, perhaps petition business owners to indeed discriminate in that way and restrict immigration in that fashion rather than directing ill feeling at the immigrants themselves.

I, incidentally, agree with neither - but whenever this argument comes up the rhetoric seems to be directed at the workers and hardly ever at the bosses who are happy to see it happen.

Businesses exist to make money. If they don't employ the cheap labour their competitors will and undercut them.

Nobody is blaming the workers, it's the system that's to blame.

30 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Businesses exist to make money. If they don't employ the cheap labour their competitors will and undercut them.

Nobody is blaming the workers, it's the system that's to blame.

Really? All those headlines, op ed pieces and social media posts must have been a misinterpretation then. Got it.

The system is to blame, though.

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

Really? All those headlines, op ed pieces and social media posts must have been a misinterpretation then. Got it.

The system is to blame, though.

I can't speak for everyone who comments on this subject but the people I know aren't blaming the migrants.

I can't speak for everyone who comments on this subject but the people I know aren't blaming the migrants.

Then I am happy for the company you keep.

There are far too many that do, which was my point all along.

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

The Europeans are allowed to come here whether they've got a job or not. 

Only because successive governments have failed to use the tools in place in the treaties granting free movement of workers - they've got the right to reside for three months without a job, longer than that and the states can enforce requirements upon them and send them back if they do not meet those requirements: http://www.europarl.europa.eu/atyourservice/en/displayFtu.html?ftuId=FTU_3.1.3.html

1 hour ago, The Doctor said:

Only because successive governments have failed to use the tools in place in the treaties granting free movement of workers - they've got the right to reside for three months without a job, longer than that and the states can enforce requirements upon them and send them back if they do not meet those requirements: http://www.europarl.europa.eu/atyourservice/en/displayFtu.html?ftuId=FTU_3.1.3.html

We're talking about people who've come over here and got a job.

We're talking about people who've come over here and got a job.

You and I have very different definitions of the word not then...

2 hours ago, Webbo said:

The Europeans are allowed to come here whether they've got a job or not. 

1 hour ago, The Doctor said:

And whoever we voted for were not taking it serious enough to deliver it. They are now.

17 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

You and I have very different definitions of the word not then...

That's because you edited out the last bit.

2 hours ago, Webbo said:

2 minutes ago, Webbo said:

That's because you edited out the last bit.

Would be if that was at all relevant. Saying that businesses shouldn't discriminate against foreign nationals doesn't impact on your first sentence where you explicitly say they can come even if they don't have a job waiting.

1 minute ago, The Doctor said:

Would be if that was at all relevant. Saying that businesses shouldn't discriminate against foreign nationals doesn't impact on your first sentence where you explicitly say they can come even if they don't have a job waiting.

If you go back to the original point Mac was saying that employers employ cheap labour. The cheap labour comes here to be employed. Why wouldn't employers hire them? They wouldn't be allowed to discriminate against them if they wanted to.

7 hours ago, Webbo said:

If you go back to the original point Mac was saying that employers employ cheap labour. The cheap labour comes here to be employed. Why wouldn't employers hire them? They wouldn't be allowed to discriminate against them if they wanted to.

You're either being extremely naïve or disingenuous, Webbo.

Employers discriminate all the time.

56 minutes ago, Buce said:

You're either being extremely naïve or disingenuous, Webbo.

Employers discriminate all the time.

They get done for it regularly as well. Why would they want to anyway when they're working for a fraction of what the native population will?

Archived