Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Brexit Discussion Thread.

So you voted to stay in the organisation that refuses to allow state aid for national industry and ignored dumping of Chinese steel that helped destroy our steel industry because it didn't outsource our steel industry?

We shouldn't be allowed to vote.

They were examples. I could go on. My point is (most of) the faults in this Country are at the hands of the government, not the EU (which we also get many many benefits from being part of). In fact I feel we get more benefit being in - which is why I voted remain.

Given the Conservative party is solidly Eurosceptic by membership I'd expect the opposite and unless Cameron has a serious cabinet reshuffle he could be done for, I think the chancellor has already signed his own death warrant when he threatened the voters with his punishment budget.

Both the main parties could seriously suffer from this, Labour could lose a million plus working class votes to UKIP over this referendum, they are the only party you can guarantee will benefit in the event of a remain vote.

I caught DP whilst waiting for the football last week. They had Lord Finklestein on going over the permutations of a leave and remain. Aside from talking about how DC wouldn't waste much time before resigning if it was a leave, he also agreed with you. It's not in DC's interests to punish those who were on the Leave campaign by shunting them out of any position, not yet anyway. His majority isn't massive and any revolt could easily lead to vote losses in HoP leading to a zombie government.

I suspect DC is reliant on some (Gove) falling on their sword, whilst others (Johnson) crawling back into their hole until the next opportunity to lead the party comes along.

Fair point Alf, I've not taken into consideration how middle class and wealthy Harborough is, that could easily be a remain thinking about it.

Other than that, Harborough the constituency and Harborough the council area aren't the same are they? Fairly sure I'm Oadby and Wigston for this and Harborough for the general election; so depending on the distribution of the kippers and tories throughout the constituency it might not be reflected in the results today.

Don't worry their bags are packed and they're ready to go !

I wonder how these Countries are going to cope with all of their residents living in the UK?

Fair point Alf, I've not taken into consideration how middle class and wealthy Harborough is, that could easily be a remain thinking about it.

Plus you've got to factor in Lutterworth to that vote. How many companies and depots round there deal with foreign logistics firms? Plus it's the biggest Labour area of the district.

In Market Harborough itself I can see it being fairly evenly split. The 'Vote Leave' posters were up in the areas of town I expected to see them when I was down there at the weekend. Imagine surrounding countryside will be mainly leave, though I think the NFU are backing Remain aren't they? Could sway a few...

I wonder how these Countries are going to cope with all of their residents living in the UK?

A Brexit would be terrific for other countries.

The young educated people of Eastern Europe would probably working as Doctors, Teachers etc instead of serving coffee to rich businessmen in London.

Right I am a tit, I got sent a postal vote thing but forgot to send it off in time.

Can I just go to a station and fill one in there instead now?

Take it to your local polling station, completed and enveloped, before 10pm

Or deliver it to your local Council office!

A Brexit would be terrific for other countries.

The young educated people of Eastern Europe would probably working as Doctors, Teachers etc instead of serving coffee to rich businessmen in London.

Apparently Paul Nuttall of UKIP was saying the same thing a couple of years back:  :whistle:

i went to vote. 

not being funny why isn't there an easier way to do it though? see people moaning about "turnout" every time we have a vote on anything. yeah cos you have to register however long in advance, not move house, then find time in your day to actually go out to vote. why not just have a website? a phone number? anything that makes it like a thousand times easier. 

Guest CityFan 06

Just to let you know, I live close to Harborough and the majority of votes is for Leave from what I gather. But, interestingly, when I went to Norfolk two days ago, it really did vary from Leave to Remain, with boards of support for both campaigns as I went past in the car. If I had to say, it looked more Leave than Remain but it was fairly equal I'd say. 

Just to let you know, I live close to Harborough and the majority of votes is for Leave from what I gather. But, interestingly, when I went to Norfolk two days ago, it really did vary from Leave to Remain, with boards of support for both campaigns as I went past in the car. If I had to say, it looked more Leave than Remain but it was fairly equal I'd say. 

Norfolk is a bit of a mixed bag. Firstly it is a very agricultural place which tips it slightly to being pro-EU. North Norfolk is very upmarket now, full of the 'metropolitan elite' that we hear so much about from the Outers. Norwich will be solidly remain. Lowestoft and Yarmouth solidly out, coastal towns that they forgot to close down. Lynn's a bit more interesting. It's had quite a bit of immigration from Poland, Latvia and Lithuania, but it's done reasonably well out of it and there isn't the same anti-immigrant feeling you get in more neglected parts of Lincolnshire and the Fens. Lynn's rail link to London keeps it modestly cosmopolitan. I stress modestly.

So overall I'd agree with you that it's probably a 50/50 county.

In the event of a remain vote let's hope those disappointed leave voters to whom this kind of direct democracy is rightly held in high regard take it with good grace.

This referendum has basically been won by all the economical experts that the government paid to say how bad it will all be if we leave.

This country isn't any less corrupt than Nigeria.

What were you saying @@Dodgy Bob? :D  :D

The pound and FTSE rising as well - the markets did their own private polling, so that looks like a key indicator as well. Could suggest the end result isn't as close as the polls were flagging it (or they just struggled getting true representative responses).

One thing is clear however as Matt P has touched on - there was always a steady stream of undecided in the polls, so there is a case to say they were waiting for Leave to pitch them something to fully convince them. Left untouched, given how the importance of this referendum has been impressed on people, the danger was always that they'd vote Remain to a decisive margin.

Leave was based principally on two important areas sovereignty and controlled immigration, the remain camp cannot deliver on either, so remain have focused their campaign around a prophecy of doom on the economy if we were to leave, meaning less wedge in your pocket, this I regret will tip the balance of fence sitters to remain. 

I was going to vote leave but not even bothering now

lol

Don't worry they'll count your non vote as a vote for remain  :ph34r:

Archived