Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fuchsntf

United Airlines...Barbaric???

1 minute ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

He only got manhandled because the captain had to call the authorities. If the bloke had any dignity about him he'd take it as a bad day and walk off but no he had to make a scene about it. It it were me obviously I'd be fuming but I wouldn't lower myself to that standard.

He only got manhandled because the airline put their staff ahead of their customers.

3 minutes ago, MPH said:

Has that been proven/ admitted to?

i guess i am saying how do you fairly handle someone who is refusing to leave their seat and you, as a policeman have been asked to remove him by the airline?

Offer other people more money. You don't escalate the situation. It wouldn't have taken much longer to get to a price where someone would have taken it.

13 minutes ago, MPH said:

Thats usually what they do before people have boarded the plane... However that can take time which they didn't have...

"This is the captain. We need to free up one seat within the next ten minutes in order to make our takeoff slot. I will begin quoting increasing compensation amounts over the intercom in exchange for being deplaned and taking another flight. If you wish to be moved to another flight for a price that I quote, please get the immediate attention of your nearest flight attendant. Thank you. Let's begin."

If anything that might be quicker than calling the fuzz onto the plane and bringing the guy out that way.

11 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Who cares. You've been chosen, unfortunately. The captain has jurisdiction so it's a case of ding ding ding, weird screaming Asian manchild come on down!

Which leads to UA losing tons of cash because they're now - rightly or wrongly - seen as a pariah. Bad for business.

8 minutes ago, MPH said:

Has that been proven/ admitted to?

Camera phone footage looks pretty grim (certainly enough for a good lawyer to have a look at), but that might not be the whole story.

1 minute ago, Dr The Singh said:

5 hour is obviously risk to the further planning schedule, and hence the logical thing to do is to find space on the least risk option which was the flight.  Not saying it's wrong, or right, but from a risks and business perspective, it could be the right thing to do.

$800 compo, enough or not enough is something for the individual.  The guy could have e walked off and and got alot more then $800 that's for sure.

He will get a lot more than $800!!

Airlines are delayed all the time, they have contingencies upon contingencies, there is no way there wasn't another option for staffing the next flight.

1 minute ago, Merging Cultures said:

He will get a lot more than $800!!

Airlines are delayed all the time, they have contingencies upon contingencies, there is no way there wasn't another option for staffing the next flight.

You say that, the contingencies only go so far and are aimed at rebalancing staffing issues for the next day flights ie flight crews lose there days off or rest days

I can't believe people here are defending the airline or the police. 

Let's say you're united airlines, and you really messed up. You need to get your crew to Louisville so that they can fly a different plane the next day. Here's your options:

1) Increase the compensation for the involuntary bumping.

2) Fly the crew on a later flight, or drive them to Louisville (it's only a 4.5 hour drive). Then delay the flight they are supposed to depart on.

3) Get a different crew from another location to Louisville. 

4) Notify the police to forcefully remove a customer from a plane he had a legal right to be on, taking no precautions for the man's safety. After he was bloodied and concussed, do not provide adequate medical care, allowing him to run back onto the plane. Then when this all goes viral, release a statement that your airline did nothing wrong, and put the blame on the customer, leading to a full on PR disaster. Then, after meeting with your legal counsel, and PR team, continue to defend your position in an email to your employees, only exacerbating the outrage.

83fa7afc4230715b33ee15793ed122eddf34acb03f69f59715fa02251ffa0d3c.jpg

So let's recap. To save 4 crew members 3 hours of driving time, and possibly delaying a future flight, they were willing to destroy the public image of their company, lose millions of dollars in an inevitable lawsuit that they'll likely settle out of court,  and risk the safety of their passengers. 

6 minutes ago, Merging Cultures said:

He only got manhandled because the airline put their staff ahead of their customers.

Offer other people more money. You don't escalate the situation. It wouldn't have taken much longer to get to a price where someone would have taken it.

tt could be argued they put the needs of 200+ other passengers ahead of his by getting them a flight crew in time for their flight

Not sure how valid this report is, but it looks like there may have been other options... if they planned better...

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article143835389.html

United could have sent its employees by taxi about an hour across Chicago from O’Hare airport to Midway airport and put them on a Southwest flight to Louisville, Kentucky, where they were needed Monday.

Shows the differences from an american company vs a british company in this situation - UA needed to grovel and eat all the shit dished to them for this (a British company would have no doubt - its culture differences), however instead all they've done is try to implicate the bloke as being the problem - and arrogantly twist everything to try and get them off the hook. When did a paying, sober, quiet customer to your service who pays your salary BECOME the problem?

The great thing with social media is that attention is drawn, the sad thing is we're not yet as a world society able to totally condemn a company for their actions via mass boycotts, it's the only way companys will ever learn not to be their own police and create their own world, we're seeing it in the UK with bookmakers (one example) now refusing to pay out massive wins for customers (skybet shut my account immediatly after I took 10k off them for City's win last year)

Why did they pick on the asian guy as well? I bet they couldn't pick on a Muslim or caucasian for obvious reasons? Were they stereotyping that because he was asian he'd be the quietest target due to stereotypes about asians being more reserved, humble and polite in their approach to interaction.

Smells to me of - pick the weakest target in an effort to get it done as quick as possible. Someone else on that flight would have taken the $800 i'm sure, they just did the typical American thing which is throw their false power around un-neccessarily in order to get the swiftest result at any cost. I actually feel for the flight Marshall as well, he's got suspended and for all we know he was only told - "theres this asian bloke who won't leave a flight who's been asked to leave..." - he should sue UA as well for them putting him and his job at risk.

1 minute ago, MPH said:

tt could be argued they put the needs of 200+ other passengers ahead of his by getting them a flight crew in time for their flight

I did think that could be an argument as I wrote it!

But why not? Everyone puts their own interests first.

1 minute ago, MPH said:

The point is that there are numerous other options they could have used but they didn't, which is going to cost them.

Just now, Merging Cultures said:

Not sure how valid this report is, but it looks like there may have been other options... if they planned better...

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article143835389.html

United could have sent its employees by taxi about an hour across Chicago from O’Hare airport to Midway airport and put them on a Southwest flight to Louisville, Kentucky, where they were needed Monday.

If true and they have the means, then United are fecked

7 minutes ago, TAFKA Castroneves said:

Shows the differences from an american company vs a british company in this situation - UA needed to grovel and eat all the shit dished to them for this (a British company would have no doubt - its culture differences), however instead all they've done is try to implicate the bloke as being the problem - and arrogantly twist everything to try and get them off the hook. When did a paying, sober, quiet customer to your service who pays your salary BECOME the problem?

The great thing with social media is that attention is drawn, the sad thing is we're not yet as a world society able to totally condemn a company for their actions via mass boycotts, it's the only way companys will ever learn not to be their own police and create their own world, we're seeing it in the UK with bookmakers (one example) now refusing to pay out massive wins for customers (skybet shut my account immediatly after I took 10k off them for City's win last year)

Why did they pick on the asian guy as well? I bet they couldn't pick on a Muslim or caucasian for obvious reasons? Were they stereotyping that because he was asian he'd be the quietest target due to stereotypes about asians being more reserved, humble and polite in their approach to interaction.

Smells to me of - pick the weakest target in an effort to get it done as quick as possible. Someone else on that flight would have taken the $800 i'm sure, they just did the typical American thing which is throw their false power around un-neccessarily in order to get the swiftest result at any cost. I actually feel for the flight Marshall as well, he's got suspended and for all we know he was only told - "theres this asian bloke who won't leave a flight who's been asked to leave..." - he should sue UA as well for them putting him and his job at risk.

Fair points indeed.. except there are a shedload of "british" people here defending the company.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!. The staff on board the plane did everything by protocol

4 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Fair points indeed.. except there are a shedload of "british" people here defending the company.

And British/ Australians criticizing them...

2 minutes ago, MPH said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!. The staff on board the plane did everything by protocol

And British/ Australians criticizing them...

A very sad indictment of Britain today.

Just now, Webbo said:

You don't half talk some shit.

lol thanks for your valued input

Britain remains a broken "country", never recovered from the 80s and have been beaten, then bribed into submission and acquiescence to the wealthy.

In years gone by it was natural for the British to stand and fight for the vulnerable.. the less privileged, no more.

1 minute ago, ozleicester said:

Britain remains a broken "country", never recovered from the 80s and have been beaten, then bribed into submission and acquiescence to the wealthy.

In years gone by it was natural for the British to stand and fight for the vulnerable.. the less privileged, no more.

You've just proven my point. Some of us are appalled, some think it reasonable and most of us don't really care. The same reaction you'd get in every other country that's seen this video. Nothing to do with the 80s or any of that bollox.

12 minutes ago, Webbo said:

You don't half talk some shit.

ditto right? lol

I don't blame the staff either btw, i get that aspect, i've been there numerous times where my head office says one thing, but common sense says another

I personally never hid behind my companys policy if there was an extraordinary problem - like this flight situation seems to be - then you reach a mutial compromise that doesnt include manhandling innocent people - most people would take the $800 yes, but this time they needed to get to their destination

Interesting how the company COULD have sent their staff in other ways, thus proriotising their customers - i'm used to that in my work, customer first - sometimes yes customers take the piss and what not but you learn to adjust to each situation accordingly.

UA have ****ed up massivly in their customer service, there were other options, they were just so desperate not to lose their flight slot (which ironically they did anyway) that they got forceful, BIG mistake.

6 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Webbo was right.lol

Years gone by??? It was only 50 odd years since we had the commenwealth, I bet you were around then fighting for the less privileged or slaves as they were called the ?

Archived