Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FoxInTheBirstallBox

Rudkin

7 hours ago, vanity said:

Pretending for a moment it is Rudkin's responsibility to ensure a good transfer window -- how can you possibly believe this season was a failed transfer window? We added FIVE players who are good enough to start for our first team, and that isn't including the Hull keeper who has had his moments at the Prem level.

What were you expecting that five players of first-team quality constitutes a failure?

Its not pretending at all when its his responsibility remember the statement when Steve Walsh left? It said Rudkin would be taking up his responsibilities too.

It is a failed window everybody and his dog knew we were light in quality in CM before we let Mendy and Drinkwater go yet they were allowed to leave and were not properly replaced. Don’t want to continually tread over the same ground with the Silva debacle but that was handled in the amatuer way. 

As for all the players signed in the past 3 windows on average there is only one change in the lineup from the team that won the title so that suggests the players coming in are not of a high enough standard.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Dames said:

Its not pretending at all when its his responsibility remember the statement when Steve Walsh left? It said Rudkin would be taking up his responsibilities too.

It is a failed window everybody and his dog knew we were light in quality in CM before we let Mendy and Drinkwater go yet they were allowed to leave and were not properly replaced. Don’t want to continually tread over the same ground with the Silva debacle but that was handled in the amatuer way. 

As for all the players signed in the past 3 windows on average there is only one change in the lineup from the team that won the title so that suggests the players coming in are not of a high enough standard.

Or, it could mean that the incumbant manager for whatever reason, didn't even give those players a fair crack of the whip by playing them in their best postions or, for nostalgic or being under the influence of other players, bottled it. Any of those thoughts of mine are pure conjecture and not based on fact, as is the assumption that none of the new transfers are up to the job.

The  trouble is that whatever went wrong with the Silva deal is that without any evidence whatsoever,  Rudkin and Leicester City are getting the blame, it's  so very easy for those who like to spout off to do so. Never let the truth get in the way of a good self opinionated rant eh?

Had it been possible to have completed a deal a week or a month before the deadline like Maguire I'm sure that it would have been,  after all, it's no secret that they'd been interested in Silva for a long time. However, if the selling team is asking for more money than the buyer thinks he's worth then it's their perogative not to pay it surely. Why pay over the top for a player you don't think worth it? Some people talk of millions of pounds as if it's toy money, it's our owners money to spend as they feel fit and they will have come to a figure of how much Silva was worth commensurate with his age, skill levels and wage demands and sell on value etc. Let's face it, they paid over the top for a free scoring Champions League proven striker called Slimani, so they're not averse to splashing out. We know that it was a close deal as an extension was asked for. If for example at the last minute, in an act of brinkmanship the selling club sneakily upped the anti  then problems would have occurred. Was there a rush of other teams coming in for Silva? None of these things do we know yet,  we seem quite happy to blame our own team without any evidence!  It suits some people's agendas to be negative. If personally accused of something yourself, would you be happy to be found guilty on such flimsy evidence?

The same burden of proof is required when criticising over such decisions as whether to let Ranieri or Shakespeare go, we know what the results on the pitch were and we can judge  (albeit we may all have differing opinions) on the relative merits and individual performances of individual players BUT, we are not privy to a host of other contributory factors going on behind the scenes without such, judgements made are at best questionable.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, FoxInTheBirstallBox said:

I find it strange that people are so anti rudkin on no actual proof of what's going on behind the scenes and jump on the rudkin out bandwagon without actually knowing what he does, yet seen so admimant that Steve Walsh is right for the job yet they have had a far far far worse transfer strategy and managerial appointment

And before you all say keoman is better what has he does which Shakespeare hasn't? They have spent 20m more on a young English defender which is shite, 45m on siggy which everyone agreed anything even near 30 is too much. Sold their striker and not replaced.

As a director, Rudkin is accountable to the company and it's shareholders (also legal financial and H&S aspects), unfortunately not to the fans. I would like to see him gone and Walsh or even better Pearson back as Director of Football. Its a choice we, as fans,  don/'t get to make. As there is clearly a strong feeling by a number of fans, then they will make themselves heard in the hope that the owners take a long hard look at the position. He's a clever little runt and keeps his nose close to the powers that be ar$es and other than that keeps an extremely low profile such that NONE of us really know what his tasks are or whether he performed them well.....

one thing is clear, as fans we need a scapegoat for everything that is going wrong...... and maybe that is Rudkins main task which he is performing admirably so far.

Rudkin needs to put himself up for interviews with the local media and the media needs to ask him questions about what is job exactly is, but we know he won't. Take the Silva debacle it was always up to Shakespeare to fend of questions from the media it wasn't his fault the deal fell through it was the recruitment team led by Rudkin.

1 hour ago, wasthedestroyer said:

Cant believe that you slotted Iheanacho in there. Unbelievable.

Ooh, another sense of humour failure. Try it sometime bro, makes supporting Leicester and coming on here much more bearable:thumbup:.

If for nothing else the man has failed to capitalise on the premier league win. Champions on the pitch and beazer homes league off it.

We have been completely rinsed by virtually every two bit league in europe offloading their crap players to us.

Why do Leicester City fans have that down trodden attitude of accepting second best.

Edited by m4DD0gg

Here's the direct quote from LCFC when his position as Director of Football was confirmed.

Jon assumed the Club’s Director of Football responsibilities in December, following the departure of Terry Robinson, and will now take on the role on a permanent basis. 

Applying his considerable experience in player development, built during a 16-year association with Leicester City, Jon will oversee the Club’s entire football operation through Academy, Development and First Team levels and the development and application of the Club’s football philosophy. 

Jon will also maintain his position as head of the Club’s successful Category 1 Academy – a position he has held since 2003. 

Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha, Leicester City Vice Chairman, said: “Jon has done an excellent job managing the responsibilities of the Director of Football role during the last eight weeks, including the demands of the January transfer window

I thought this was worth re-posting. For those defending him please note the bit "will oversee the entire football operation"

Now I have never met him and I don't know him but although there should be some credit allowed for past achievements can anyone defending him please clarify the following

1 Are you happy with the way we have 'progressed' since winning the title?

2 Do you think the last few transfer windows prior to this summer have been well managed and a success?

3 Do you feel that we have a good youth team set up regularly producing young players for the first team squad and that our reserve and youth team are the success they should be given the investment made in them?

4 Do you think the last 12 months represent a success for the club in terms of manager recruitment?

5 Do you think the Silva transfer situation has been well handled by the club?

6 What is or do we even have a football philosophy?

Of course he can't physically do every job himself. However, he is a director of the club and happens to be the one responsible for the football side of things. He needs to establish rigorous managerial practices and a methodology that is clear to follow. Things go wrong and though it may seem unfair at times ultimately it is senior management who must take responsibility for what goes on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

Or, it could mean that the incumbant manager for whatever reason, didn't even give those players a fair crack of the whip by playing them in their best postions or, for nostalgic or being under the influence of other players, bottled it. Any of those thoughts of mine are pure conjecture and not based on fact, as is the assumption that none of the new transfers are up to the job.

The  trouble is that whatever went wrong with the Silva deal is that without any evidence whatsoever,  Rudkin and Leicester City are getting the blame, it's  so very easy for those who like to spout off to do so. Never let the truth get in the way of a good self opinionated rant eh?

Had it been possible to have completed a deal a week or a month before the deadline like Maguire I'm sure that it would have been,  after all, it's no secret that they'd been interested in Silva for a long time. However, if the selling team is asking for more money than the buyer thinks he's worth then it's their perogative not to pay it surely. Why pay over the top for a player you don't think worth it? Some people talk of millions of pounds as if it's toy money, it's our owners money to spend as they feel fit and they will have come to a figure of how much Silva was worth commensurate with his age, skill levels and wage demands and sell on value etc. Let's face it, they paid over the top for a free scoring Champions League proven striker called Slimani, so they're not averse to splashing out. We know that it was a close deal as an extension was asked for. If for example at the last minute, in an act of brinkmanship the selling club sneakily upped the anti  then problems would have occurred. Was there a rush of other teams coming in for Silva? None of these things do we know yet,  we seem quite happy to blame our own team without any evidence!  It suits some people's agendas to be negative. If personally accused of something yourself, would you be happy to be found guilty on such flimsy evidence?

The same burden of proof is required when criticising over such decisions as whether to let Ranieri or Shakespeare go, we know what the results on the pitch were and we can judge  (albeit we may all have differing opinions) on the relative merits and individual performances of individual players BUT, we are not privy to a host of other contributory factors going on behind the scenes without such, judgements made are at best questionable.

It doesn't matter if it was someone else's fault, there is another issue in that they let a player go without having a replacement done and dusted. Whatever way you look at is, we fooked up and as the person heading up that department you take the can for such a big mistake. The evidence is that we're without a CM for half the season and it was in our hands to stop that from happening.

We're never going to get the full details, but there is starting to be too much smoke around the bloke for their not to be an issue. We have the wives of ex players liking posts that have called out Rudkin. We had contracts dished out with buy out clauses, something that's incredibly rare in our division... and we lost one and nearly two of our best players because of them. We had some awful windows where we struggled to get players in. Player recruitment has become a bit of a shambles, compared to how we used to operate.

Alarm bells should be ringing for everyone at the moment, it looks every inch someone without the required experience learning on the job and making some serious errors.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, vanity said:

When you sign five players who are good enough to play for your first team in one window, you are doing an epic job. Kudos to Macia and his team, kudos to Rudkin for that Maguire negotiation, was straight-up robbery that, Dragovic was shrewd depth and I think he will wind up playing a big role this season if Morgan picks up a knock, and I'm very curious to see Iheanacho and Slimani paired up top this week, we have some world-class depth this season. 

Are you sure about this???      

We dont even have any world class players in our 1st X1 (Silva and mahrez on top-form possibly being the exceptions) so not quite sure how you can describe our depth as "world-class"   How many of our players would currently be targets for any of Europes elite clubs (vardy??)?

I dont wish to appear negative but I do think that part of the current problem at LCFC is that too many fans have simply lost touch with reality and this is a perfect example of that.  With our resources and players, we are a mid-table club and that is eaxactly where we will finish this seasson....even if my mum was appointed as the next manager!

Edited by Foxy-Lady
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, alanf0x said:

We need another protest like we had against Barry Pierpoint 

Pierpoint was a different kettle of fish to Rudkin.

Rudkin is more me me me , Bazza was far more brash and hardly a shrinking violet.

Rudkin is not a bad man, obviously cares about the club but then so does Bernie.

He knows Leicester City and should keep a job in some capacity, but not as the big cheese that he is. 

His CV is pathetic and it shows

Edited by Bob Hazels shorts

1 hour ago, m4DD0gg said:

If for nothing else the man has failed to capitalise on the premier league win. Champions on the pitch and beazer homes league off it.

We have been completely rinsed by virtually every two bit league in europe offloading their crap players to us.

Why do Leicester City fans have that down trodden attitude of accepting second best.

Er................. I was a vice-President of Beazer Homes League Team 20 years ago and we certainly handled transfers efficiently in terms of the paper work!! And those days we had a part-time Secretary and a single fax machine!  

1 hour ago, norwichfox said:

As a director, Rudkin is accountable to the company and it's shareholders (also legal financial and H&S aspects), unfortunately not to the fans. I would like to see him gone and Walsh or even better Pearson back as Director of Football. Its a choice we, as fans,  don/'t get to make. As there is clearly a strong feeling by a number of fans, then they will make themselves heard in the hope that the owners take a long hard look at the position. He's a clever little runt and keeps his nose close to the powers that be ar$es and other than that keeps an extremely low profile such that NONE of us really know what his tasks are or whether he performed them well.....

one thing is clear, as fans we need a scapegoat for everything that is going wrong...... and maybe that is Rudkins main task which he is performing admirably so far.

Scapegoat??  I thought that was Shakey?  Albeit he was offered up to the fans in hope things would quieten down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

It doesn't matter if it was someone else's fault, there is another issue in that they let a player go without having a replacement done and dusted. Whatever way you look at is, we fooked up and as the person heading up that department you take the can for such a big mistake. The evidence is that we're without a CM for half the season and it was in our hands to stop that from happening.

We're never going to get the full details, but there is starting to be too much smoke around the bloke for their not to be an issue. We have the wives of ex players liking posts that have called out Rudkin. We had contracts dished out with buy out clauses, something that's incredibly rare in our division... and we lost one and nearly two of our best players because of them. We had some awful windows where we struggled to get players in. Player recruitment has become a bit of a shambles, compared to how we used to operate.

Alarm bells should be ringing for everyone at the moment, it looks every inch someone without the required experience learning on the job and making some serious errors.

The price we got for Drinkwater was top dollar for a player who didn't want to be here. He was poor last season and still hasn't played this one through injury so it wouldn't make any difference anyway. Without Kante he wasn't good enough in a  midfield 2. We've adequate midfielders, but had an inept manager imo playing the wrong formations for the players we had.

If a player won't come without a buy out clause then you have to make a decision whether you employ him or not. I would suggest in Kante's case it was the right one. We got a great player cheap, won the Premiership and sold him at a huge profit. We could of course chosen not employ him in the first place and done none of that. When we originally bought him we were hardly an attractive proposition. 

Most of the so called smoke around Rudkin is exactly that, merely based on myth and rumour like on here. Who are these ex players wives that come on here, can we name them with any confidence? If they are ex players, have they got a personal axe to grind of which we don't know both sides of the argument? Football is a business, it's not all about what the players want, they're soon to jump ship when it suits them and their career and pockets!

In a nutshell I'm not actually saying that Rudkin is not at fault, all I'm saying is that for me his inadequacies are largely based on supposition and rumour not fact at this moment in time. When decisions are made by the club we don't even know whether he's merely carrying out orders. I doubt any big decisions are made without the input and views of others who have the full knowledge of the relevent situations at the time. We don't. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Rogstanley said:

I don't know where Rudkin sits in the hierarchy at the club, but I very much doubt it was above Walsh in the summer of 2016 when Walsh bought in his targets like Musa, Hernandez, Slimani et al. Really can't see how Rudkin can be to blame for Walsh along with Ranieri dropping a bollock that summer.

How he's to blame for Molla Wague getting injured I'd love to know.

Since Macia came in, in my opinion the signings have been reasonably decent. Maguire, Ndidi, Iheanacho etc are all players who have a long term future at the top level. I don't see anyone crediting Rudkin for the good signings.

I don't know enough about the club hierarchy to know how much influence Rudkin has on managerial appointments, but I can't see the owners relinquishing control of that. I think the manager changes have been the correct decisions at the time. Ranier had to go because he was taking us down. Shakey had to be given a chance after rescuing us from relegation but ultimately had to go because he was obviously out of his depth. Correct decisions at the time, they just didn't work out as managerial appointments so often don't in top level football.

It's not like we're going through a real disaster anyway. We failed to take that opportunity to build on the league win and that's disappointing. But it was never going to be easy. We only had that opportunity in the first place because we massively overperformed. Lots of factors went into us reverting to mean last year, relatively poor signings by Walsh, proper big name players still not wanting to come here anyway, loss of Kante, injuries, aging players a year older, others losing a little bit of hunger, Ranieri having a difficult second season (like he usually does). Rudkin might have made mistakes as well, though I've seen no evidence of what mistakes he made exactly, but he's obviously not to blame for everything. 

We're in what the history books will describe as a golden age for Leicester City and yet we've got what's fast becoming a lynch mob among our fans trying to hound a bloke out of his job despite there not being any publicly available evidence of him having done anything especially wrong. Is it just me or is it not a bit Lord of the Flies?

He's the Director of Football ..  and oversees all footballing matters ...  something is going wrong and he's in charge of it.    As paying fans we deserve, at least, answers to how this situation has arisen and what his part is in it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, reynard said:

Here's the direct quote from LCFC when his position as Director of Football was confirmed.

Jon assumed the Club’s Director of Football responsibilities in December, following the departure of Terry Robinson, and will now take on the role on a permanent basis. 

Applying his considerable experience in player development, built during a 16-year association with Leicester City, Jon will oversee the Club’s entire football operation through Academy, Development and First Team levels and the development and application of the Club’s football philosophy. 

Jon will also maintain his position as head of the Club’s successful Category 1 Academy – a position he has held since 2003. 

Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha, Leicester City Vice Chairman, said: “Jon has done an excellent job managing the responsibilities of the Director of Football role during the last eight weeks, including the demands of the January transfer window

I thought this was worth re-posting. For those defending him please note the bit "will oversee the entire football operation"

Now I have never met him and I don't know him but although there should be some credit allowed for past achievements can anyone defending him please clarify the following

1 Are you happy with the way we have 'progressed' since winning the title?

2 Do you think the last few transfer windows prior to this summer have been well managed and a success?

3 Do you feel that we have a good youth team set up regularly producing young players for the first team squad and that our reserve and youth team are the success they should be given the investment made in them?

4 Do you think the last 12 months represent a success for the club in terms of manager recruitment?

5 Do you think the Silva transfer situation has been well handled by the club?

6 What is or do we even have a football philosophy?

Of course he can't physically do every job himself. However, he is a director of the club and happens to be the one responsible for the football side of things. He needs to establish rigorous managerial practices and a methodology that is clear to follow. Things go wrong and though it may seem unfair at times ultimately it is senior management who must take responsibility for what goes on.

So, the questions you want answering are all questions you already know the answer to and are not really questions but more of a "you're fvckin shit at your job"

1 hour ago, reynard said:

Not defending him as personally don't like him but:

1 Are you happy with the way we have 'progressed' since winning the title? - Since his installment back in 2014 we won the league, a freak occurrence in it's own right but it's tough to judge him on the following season due to high expectations. Think we will begin to find our level this season and from there we can judge.

2 Do you think the last few transfer windows prior to this summer have been well managed and a success? - A couple of questionable transfer windows but the last one aside from the Silva situation I had very little complaints, brought a centre back in, a new midfielder, cover keeper, an exciting prospect of a player. Yeah was happy with our window, Silva would have been icing on the cake though... if it went without a hitch.

3 Do you feel that we have a good youth team set up regularly producing young players for the first team squad and that our reserve and youth team are the success they should be given the investment made in them? - Yes again think our youth setup is excellent, think at times management need the faith in the youngsters for the job but Chilwell is getting to a point of being a starter. Would have preferred Lawrence to have been kept as I think he could have been used more now. Yeah overall happy with the youth system but down to management to bed and play them in the first team.

4 Do you think the last 12 months represent a success for the club in terms of manager recruitment? - Tough one, don't think anyone would have denied Shakespeare the opportunity to manage and think we took action on removing him from the position at the right time. The question you should really consider is judging him on the next managerial appointment.

5 Do you think the Silva transfer situation has been well handled by the club? - No, but was that down to him? Think as others said he perhaps has little to do with that but personally I'm looking from the outside in, we could legitimately have been too late on all accounts and would never have happened. Did feel that watching Sky Sports they were informing we were waiting for Drinkwater deal to be sorted which I felt annoyed at..... but was it true? Possibly.

6 What is or do we even have a football philosophy? - Believe it or not we do... 4-4-2 counter attacking football with pace and flair. Has that been consistent with our last 2 managers including our caretaker in charge? Yes.. do I want our philosophy to change? Yes, think teams have worked us out and not a fan of us surrendering possession so much but who knows what the next 12 months brings us.

Reiterating my point, I personally dislike the guy and would like him out but when you consider his KPIs he probably actually does them really well and in turn they have no reason to get rid of him. After all you would feel it a bit unjustly if you got the bullet because a load of people disliked you right?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Er................. I was a vice-President of Beazer Homes League Team 20 years ago and we certainly handled transfers efficiently in terms of the paper work!! And those days we had a part-time Secretary and a single fax machine!  

say no more then

• Like 1

3 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Or, it could mean that the incumbant manager for whatever reason, didn't even give those players a fair crack of the whip by playing them in their best postions or, for nostalgic or being under the influence of other players, bottled it.

Thats an interesting point cus I think the opposite ..    poor old Shakey was feeling the pressure build up and played Iheanacho against WBA ...   nothing wrong with that and we all saw how he performed ...   but it probably added to us losing the match ...   if he had played Shinji ..  MAYBE we wouldn't have lost and MAYBE he would still be in a job ..   (albeit a dead man walking).   I just hope the new guy is given a period of time to experiment or the same may happen again ...    and who is the man who influences this ..  JOHN FOOKIN RUDKIN.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, volpeazzurro said:

The price we got for Drinkwater was top dollar for a player who didn't want to be here. He was poor last season and still hasn't played this one through injury so it wouldn't make any difference anyway. Without Kante he wasn't good enough in a  midfield 2. We've adequate midfielders, but had an inept manager imo playing the wrong formations for the players we had.

It's a different injury he got at Chelsea, if we're dealing in absolutes then you can't say for sure that the injury would have been the same if he was here. DD up until his injury problem last season was our best player by some distance for half a season.

I don't care what the price was, it was too big a risk to make that deal without a signing lined up. It meant relying on King who was third choice in the championship and James who has a history of missing a few games with injuries and he was still coming back from a two year injury.

It's a massive giant fecking cock up.

If a player won't come without a buy out clause then you have to make a decision whether you employ him or not. I would suggest in Kante's case it was the right one. We got a great player cheap, won the Premiership and sold him at a huge profit. We could of course chosen not employ him in the first place and done none of that. When we originally bought him we were hardly an attractive proposition.

Buy out clauses are incredibly rare in this country, we'd hear about them being triggered left right and centre otherwise. We were buying someone who we'd probably pay 4 x the wages he was getting in France, a offering the chance at a team in a far bigger shop window. Players move here all the time without these clauses. They might want them, but they aren't often given. Him "not signing without the clause", could easily be poor negotiation on Rudkins part.

Most of the so called smoke around Rudkin is exactly that, merely based on myth and rumour like on here. Who are these ex players wives that come on here, can we name them with any confidence? If they are ex players, have they got a personal axe to grind of which we don't know both sides of the argument? Football is a business, it's not all about what the players want, they're soon to jump ship when it suits them and their career and pockets!

Nugents Mrs. Someone still in contact with people here and who left before Rudkin really took hold.

In a nutshell I'm not actually saying that Rudkin is not at fault, all I'm saying is that for me his inadequacies are largely based on supposition and rumour not fact at this moment in time.

They are also based on one of the most ridiculous cock ups in transfer history. Not rumour, but fact that we're left without another CM after selling a player the manager didn't want to sell and then failing to sign his replacement.

• Like 3