Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Ben Gibson - Interest

6 minutes ago, Koke said:

Agree.

Though we've produced 4 players in just over a decade from the academy, who have been any good at PL level. Stearman, King, Schlupp and Chilwell. 4 in 12 years is 1 every 3 seasons, which is alright I suppose.

Sorry but I find those statistics shocking and depressing. They may be par for the course or about average these days, but I'll always use the Man Utd 'class of '92' as the benchmark for bringing youth through he ranks and we're a million miles away from that... 

2 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

I've got high hopes for Harvey Barnes too. A season in the championship and he could be ready to make a real impact for us, judging by how great he is doing at MK 

About time we produced another top player, although you are right on Chilwell and he could still turn out to be a first team regular at some point

I played golf with a couple of MK Dons ST holders last week and they were raving about him. Not quite in the Dele Ali bracket for them, but they reckon he could definitely be an accomplished Championship player right now. Time will tell if he'll end up a PL regular I guess..

I'd have paid 20 mil for Keane , last year.

Ben Gibson 30 mil, we are having laugh or what....!!!

But thats life, or better said the football world of today.

Well the PL madness at least. Ffs He aint worth it, but it just might be

the going rate for the PL from now on. Vardy must be worth 50mil.he'll end up with the fastest

walking frame in the PL.

Mahrez 60-70mil. Who knows...is it now worth caring ????

2 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

I'd have paid 20 mil for Keane , last year.

Ben Gibson 30 mil, we are having laugh or what....!!!

But thats life, or better said the football world of today.

Well the PL madness at least. Ffs He aint worth it, but it just might be

the going rate for the PL from now on. Vardy must be worth 50mil.he'll end up with the fastest

walking frame in the PL.

Mahrez 60-70mil. Who knows...is it now worth caring ????

If Gibson is valued at £30 million, imagine what Burnley would be demanding for Keane now. Probably £40 million! lol

The valuations these days are just off the charts, but like you said, we didn't pay for Keane last summer and I think that was a mistake, so perhaps we need to pay these over inflated prices, to progress at the rate we want to. I would imagine the upfront cost wouldn't be as much as £30 million, maybe £20 and add ons, as he will want out and to be put on decent wages with us and helps when your Uncle is the chairman and you want a move away! :thumbup:

24 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Sorry but I find those statistics shocking and depressing. They may be par for the course or about average these days, but I'll always use the Man Utd 'class of '92' as the benchmark for bringing youth through he ranks and we're a million miles away from that... 

I played golf with a couple of MK Dons ST holders last week and they were raving about him. Not quite in the Dele Ali bracket for them, but they reckon he could definitely be an accomplished Championship player right now. Time will tell if he'll end up a PL regular I guess..

There will never be another class of 92 again. You cannot set that as a standard to compare yourself against.

In reality, our academy has done ok, better than many, but not close to the top clubs.

We have made over 30 million in transfer fees since 2000 from academy players, had many players play well in the top two divisions and players play International football.

We currently regularly have 2 academy players in our match day squad, and could have another next season.

Back to Gibson, quality signing and exactly what we need, a young English centre back with a left foot.

Yes 30 mil is ott, but what player isn't overvalued these days, with the TV deal in place he is easily affordable and won't need time to settle in to a new league.

gerrremmiinnnn

Forget the price tag, as a club what else do they do with the money from sky, put it into a savings account? The owners wouldn't want it, it's just more tax they would have to pay. It has to be spent on either players or the stadium.

3 hours ago, Webbo said:

30 effing million?!

Actually it isn't my money I don't care.

Well strictly speaking, if you're supporting the club by buying tickets / TV subscriptions / other related items, transfer fees are a factor into determining the price you ultimately pay for these things - so indirectly, it is your money.

Hate to say it - but football and the Premier League could do with a massive crash to bring things back into perspective.

8 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

"Sorry but I find those statistics shocking and depressing. They may be par for the course or about average these days, but I'll always use the Man Utd 'class of '92' as the benchmark for bringing youth through he ranks and we're a million miles away from that... "

So are Man.U.  !!

You use the greatest single collection of youngsters to come through an academy together as a benchmark you think we should be reaching?!?:blink: Don't want much do you! There will never be another group like that and whilst I agree we could bring more through expecting half a team in one go is a bit much.

Also another way of looking at it is whilst the class of 92 was a great thing, what then? It was all at once and then nothing. I'd rather be regularly producing them than have lots and nothing for 25 years. Rashford must be the first to break through since the 92 group.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could bring a young English CB through our own academy system into our first team instead of paying £30m to another club who's done just that.

I believe that's why they held onto Liam Moore so long in the hope, he would develop, aware of the impending future problems in that area, he may yet do, but unfortunately it wasn't quick enough for us.

1 minute ago, filbertway said:

Lingaard, Pogba and that's just players I can think of that play regularly now.

Lingard I'll give you. Pogba no. They sold him and resigned him for a world record fee, that's hardly bringing through your own player and developing him lol 

Archived