Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UPinCarolina

Premier League, 2017-2018 Season Thread

8 hours ago, Koke said:

Allardyce will sign a decent competent striker in January and get Everton mid table. I hope Moyes take West Ham down.

Not necessarily competent but I can see him trying to get Benteke again with Palace probably sunk in Jan

7 hours ago, Koke said:

Decent article on here.

http://www.football365.com/news/this-is-the-country-for-old-footballing-men

"These managerial dumplings lie heavy in the gravy of the guts of the English game and few want to see them managing their club. But have you noticed that as soon as anyone ever suggests that any of the old guard are an obstacle to progress, they get told to “be careful what you wish for”.

Steven Gerrard was spouting this cliche in relation to Pulis, as was Jonny Walters on MOTD Extra. It must rank as one of the most patronising mouth noises any pundit can barf, saying as it does, that you should be happy to indefinitely cough up hard-earned money for appalling entertainment on the basis that the manager will keep you in the league and thus subject you to years more of the same fearful dreck.

Trying to argue that the reason to tolerate awful football is that it will allow you to keep seeing awful football, is a laughable illogical circle of mind-in-neutral garbage that would only be spoken in the strange world of football where ill-thought-out nonsense passes as wisdom every day of the week, just because it is said by someone who was once paid to kick a ball around."

Yes, saw that yesterday. Glad that a few journalists and pundits are hitting back against the blinkered and inaccurate views about how hard done by English managers are. It's about time.

11 hours ago, TheHitman™ said:

Sterling is the most underrated player in the World RIGHT now. He is extremely talented and young and would only get better. I don't actually think he ever was average tbh. He is miles ahead of gray and is already better than Walcott. He was mile ahead of gray when he was the same age as him.

Its not worth arguing over, or to go out to win points.....but no he isnt, no he wasnt.!!!

He is started to realise his potential, thats all but after criticising heavyily, fair dues hes playing

now the game, we wanted to see from him..

10 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Sterling may well win the ballon d'or at some point in his career. Or at least be shortlisted. This genuinely wouldn't surprise me at all.

He is one of the english players who could make the top table.... but to do so he has to develop.  Look at how renaldo kicked on when he went to real.  Strength and confidence boardering on arrogance were key.  I wonder if sterling has that

Can't believe people are so quick to shoot down Sterling - as a nation we've been guilty of overhyping some youngsters in our time but we also seem to enjoy shooting them down. Sterling is on a completely different planet to ones Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain have ever been on let alone some of the other dross we've played out wide over the years, he's not even 23 yet, Guardiola seems to rate him and it looks like he'll blitz his previous seasons best for goals this campaign.

He was about the only one arsed in Brazil in 2014 in all.

He's better than Dele Alli (and not suspended for the obligatory five games a season, either - Alli is promising too, mind).

Edited by Miquel The Work Geordie
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

Sterling is Man City's 5th best attacking player. Can't see him getting near the ballon d'or any time soon. 

But Manchester City are on a different level to anyone else domestically at the moment. If he continues he will be named in the 30 ballon d’or.

mahrez came 7th iirc. That’s pretty close

Rather surprised this appointment has been approved by Karen Brady.., after Moyes' "slap" comment to a female journalist earlier in the year..:

'Writing in her Sun column in April, West Ham's vice-chairman Karren Brady said Moyes' words were "just another brilliant example of the pressure women are under to laugh off these everyday moments of sexism as a joke".

She added: "The threat to give someone a slap, no matter how you look at it, is aggressive. It is not banter. And it is not OK.

"I would like to think that any man who worked for me - no matter how wound up they feel by a reporter who is simply doing her job well - would not threaten to slap a woman.

"One of things I find most objectionable in this whole story is his reference to Sparks as being a 'girl', when he said he had apologised to her.

"She's not a girl. She is a woman and a professional. To call someone a girl is belittling, disrespectful and a real indication that you don't see her as an equal.

"Hopefully the penny has dropped for him that it's not OK to patronise, intimidate and threaten women and treat them as if they are imposters in a man's world."'

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Hammo said:

Very true. We dodged a fatal bullet there. 'Absolute disaster' sums up Moyes perfectly. I'd add 'Complete fraud'.

He also loves blowing his own trumpet ("I'm ready to return to the Premier League"; "I've had lots of other offers" etc etc) and blaming others for his failures. His "did a great job at Everton" reputation doesn't stand up to close inspection either (no trophies, no Champions League participation, dreadful record against the top clubs etc etc). As that female journalist discovered, he's a nasty piece of work too. Can't abide the man.

I don't know what West Ham are thinking of, but I guess the rather humiliating six-month contract is a measure of Moyes's current brittle worth. I'd be surprised if he even sees that out.

I've gone right off him also. It'd be glorious to see him take them down.

Still makes me laugh that he never once won away at Man Utd. He leaves them for Man Utd and loses at home to Martinez' Everton lol 

Hopefully Watford give them a good beating. I don't want them going into that game against us on a high in his first home game.

3 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Can't believe people are so quick to shoot down Sterling - as a nation we've been guilty of overhyping some youngsters in our time but we also seem to enjoy shooting them down. Sterling is on a completely different planet to ones Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain have ever been on let alone some of the other dross we've played out wide over the years, he's not even 23 yet, Guardiola seems to rate him and it looks like he'll blitz his previous seasons best for goals this campaign.

He's better than Dele Alli (and not suspended for the obligatory five games a season, either - Alli is promising too, mind).

Made me laugh the amount of people I saw calling him crap etc... when he blew that chance the other day. It's one error, it doesn't over-rule what's been an excellent season for him so far. With you on the Alli shout too.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Rather surprised this appointment has been approved by Karen Brady.., after Moyes' "slap" comment to a female journalist earlier in the year..:

'Writing in her Sun column in April, West Ham's vice-chairman Karren Brady said Moyes' words were "just another brilliant example of the pressure women are under to laugh off these everyday moments of sexism as a joke".

She added: "The threat to give someone a slap, no matter how you look at it, is aggressive. It is not banter. And it is not OK.

"I would like to think that any man who worked for me - no matter how wound up they feel by a reporter who is simply doing her job well - would not threaten to slap a woman.

"One of things I find most objectionable in this whole story is his reference to Sparks as being a 'girl', when he said he had apologised to her.

"She's not a girl. She is a woman and a professional. To call someone a girl is belittling, disrespectful and a real indication that you don't see her as an equal.

"Hopefully the penny has dropped for him that it's not OK to patronise, intimidate and threaten women and treat them as if they are imposters in a man's world."'

Well remembered Wymeswold...it clearly wasn't written using predictive text lol

11 hours ago, SystonFox said:

But Manchester City are on a different level to anyone else domestically at the moment. If he continues he will be named in the 30 ballon d’or.

mahrez came 7th iirc. That’s pretty close

He might get in the 30, but he'll just be making up the numbers.

The Moyes appointment to me doesn't surprise me, do hope it blows up mind. While his last three jobs have been a failure, his initial spell with Sociedad he took them from the bottom 3 and they managed to finish comfortably away from relegation. He just wasn't the man to take them forward and it's the same with West Ham. He's always had the safe pair of hands persona, this job is massive for him though. He's pretty much done at the top level if it's a resounding failure

4 minutes ago, Monsell1976 said:

That is crazy, and makes you wonder about football, when Man City take 474 million in revenue but only make 1.1 million

Fans would moan if profits were large and it wasn't all invested back into the club/pitch though.

If we'd just made 40m profit I think most of us would be questioning why that money wasn't spent on the squad instead.

19 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

Fans would moan if profits were large and it wasn't all invested back into the club/pitch though.

If we'd just made 40m profit I think most of us would be questioning why that money wasn't spent on the squad instead.

Not really bothered about how much profit a club makes, obviously I don’t want city in debt.

The point I was shocked at is I knew money in football had gone mad, but to spend 473 million out of 474 million just to run a football club is shocking, nearly half a billion a year, for a team to kick a ball around.

I know it’s more than kicking a ball about now, they are businesses, but it’s a ridiculous amount of money.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Monsell1976 said:

Not really bothered about how much profit a club makes, obviously I don’t want city in debt.

The point I was shocked at is I knew money in football had gone mad, but to spend 473 million out of 474 million just to run a football club is shocking, nearly half a billion a year, for a team to kick a ball around.

I know it’s more than kicking a ball about now, they are businesses, but it’s a ridiculous amount of money.

Their training complex is huge, massive wage bills for the first team, non playing staff, I bet their academy costs ridiculous amounts as well - obviously they could run the club spending less but it's not really an issue no matter how obscene.

On 07/11/2017 at 21:33, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

I've always got the sense that some factions in the press and some English supporters indulge in schadenfreude with Sterling, the press attacks him for spending lavishly, not spending lavishly, speaking to the media, not speaking to the media to the point he can't win. He benefits massively from Guardiola's coaching because Pep's surprisingly restrictive with players and Sterling can do what he's best at rather than trying to do too much. That's the same reason he doesn't stand out for England, there's not the same space or movement that there is at Man City and yet another example of England underachieving because of the manager not being at the same level as current top tier managers.

Pochettino, Conte, Allegri et al would have us consistently in the semi's for tournaments but the FA are too safe.