Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UPinCarolina

Premier League, 2017-2018 Season Thread

On 11/7/2017 at 22:29, Wymeswold fox said:

Rather surprised this appointment has been approved by Karen Brady.., after Moyes' "slap" comment to a female journalist earlier in the year..:

'Writing in her Sun column in April, West Ham's vice-chairman Karren Brady said Moyes' words were "just another brilliant example of the pressure women are under to laugh off these everyday moments of sexism as a joke".

She added: "The threat to give someone a slap, no matter how you look at it, is aggressive. It is not banter. And it is not OK.

"I would like to think that any man who worked for me - no matter how wound up they feel by a reporter who is simply doing her job well - would not threaten to slap a woman.

"One of things I find most objectionable in this whole story is his reference to Sparks as being a 'girl', when he said he had apologised to her.

"She's not a girl. She is a woman and a professional. To call someone a girl is belittling, disrespectful and a real indication that you don't see her as an equal.

"Hopefully the penny has dropped for him that it's not OK to patronise, intimidate and threaten women and treat them as if they are imposters in a man's world."'

What I would love, as lame as it might sound, is for one of the donkeys on The Apprentice to turn to her when she's sticking the knife in and ask her about how her football club is run lol. Would be superb.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Lovejoy said:

What I would love, as lame as it might sound, is for one of the donkeys on The Apprentice to turn to her when she's sticking the knife in and ask her about how her football club is run lol. Would be superb.

Would be edited out of course, but would be hilarious.

Edited by Tuna

I'm struggling to find 3 teams to go down at the moment. Only Swansea look properly doggo right now and they probably have enough decent players to improve things if/when Clement gets binned.

The three promoted teams all look good enough. Brighton looked absolute certs to finish bottom when we played them but they've really kicked on since then and seem to have worked out how to pick up results. Still a chance Huddersfield could get found out but they've got committed players and a good manager so will probably have enough. Same-ish goes for Newcastle.

West Ham have taken a gamble. Could go either way but they were proper shite last season and stayed up easily. I'm not as ready to automatically assume Moyesy will be a disaster as some people. Palace could go but they have looked better recently. Id love to see them go down under Hodgson though.

Think 40 points will genuinely be needed this year and can see someone going down on 38 or 39.

2 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

I'm struggling to find 3 teams to go down at the moment. Only Swansea look properly doggo right now and they probably have enough decent players to improve things if/when Clement gets binned.

The three promoted teams all look good enough. Brighton looked absolute certs to finish bottom when we played them but they've really kicked on since then and seem to have worked out how to pick up results. Still a chance Huddersfield could get found out but they've got committed players and a good manager so will probably have enough. Same-ish goes for Newcastle.

West Ham have taken a gamble. Could go either way but they were proper shite last season and stayed up easily. I'm not as ready to automatically assume Moyesy will be a disaster as some people. Palace could go but they have looked better recently. Id love to see them go down under Hodgson though.

Think 40 points will genuinely be needed this year and can see someone going down on 38 or 39.

Would like Palace to flush down to the Championship. Beyond that I'm not too fussed who go down with them. 

I think Swansea are certainties to go down, beyond that no idea. The fact that Huddersfield and Brighton are already nearly halfway to safety by November is amazing, I honestly expected at least one of them to be languishing towards the bottom of the table. Palace I feel have the quality to put a run together so I wouldn't rule out them staying up. I'm not impressed in the slightest by Newcastle and I think they could struggle especially if Rafa packs it in, although if the club is sold they may buy themselves out of trouble.

40 minutes ago, Wookie said:

West Brom haven’t won in a while, you’d expect them to go overpulis and pull clear but it’s not a given 

A lot of chatter that he will be the next gaffer to leave! New owners, fans sick of the football and his one reprieve 'winning ugly' not even working.

• Like 1

Even though I don't rate Dyche that highly he has done well to get the best out of a bunch of Championship cloggers. Watching yer mum and dad go at it is far more appealing than watching Burnley but Dyche is decent at what he does, albeit being a limited manager.

Edited by Koke

It always happens though where any of about 6 teams in are in crisis towards the bottom of the table and throughout the season there's always a few teams that look dead certs to go down but pull clear. Last season Stoke, West Ham, Watford and Bournemouth all looked like heading down at one point.

On 11.11.2017 at 18:26, Dan LCFC said:

lol awful signing. Said at the time.

In what aspect?

Don't think he's that bad, to be honest. Has the skill and the flair and has worked on his "difficult" character in the past few years, also being a dad helps.

West Ham's simply no good for him. As it is for many other players in that squad. Toxic mixture.

11 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Hm...rather hope he doesn't go but might think it saves being sacked in 6 months!

Be under big pressure at Everton for instant results and "success" and probably isn't the big name they want.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41977289

2 more bad results and he'll be sacked by Watford......

On 8.11.2017 at 01:08, Dan LCFC said:

I've gone right off him also. It'd be glorious to see him take them down.

Still makes me laugh that he never once won away at Man Utd. He leaves them for Man Utd and loses at home to Martinez' Everton lol 

Hopefully Watford give them a good beating. I don't want them going into that game against us on a high in his first home game.

David Moyes' track record is sketchy at best. Manchester United was too big for him, I suppose he wanted to re-establish some of his reputation by going abroad. Didn't help, as Real Sociedad lost more games under him than they won (but only just).

And Sunderland will forever be his personal Waterloo. It's easy to say in hindsight, but he should've never left Everton, or at least try to build something at a club of similar stature.

Surprised he still got a gig in Premier League football.

2 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

David Moyes' track record is sketchy at best. Manchester United was too big for him, I suppose he wanted to re-establish some of his reputation by going abroad. Didn't help, as Real Sociedad lost more games under him than they won (but only just).

And Sunderland will forever be his personal Waterloo. It's easy to say in hindsight, but he should've never left Everton, or at least try to build something at a club of similar stature.

Surprised he still got a gig in Premier League football.

Clubs will always go for experience when it comes to the crunch no matter how patchy someoes record is. Go for a complete novice and you run the risk of a starting off a death spiral. 

Moyes' has gone downhill but Man Utd was always going to be an impossible job post-Fergie. Can't speak for Real Sociedad but Sunderland were a lost cause by the time he arrived. He wont be a great success at West Ham but would believe that he'll keep them in the top flight.

18 minutes ago, Blue ROI said:

Clubs will always go for experience when it comes to the crunch no matter how patchy someoes record is. Go for a complete novice and you run the risk of a starting off a death spiral. 

Moyes' has gone downhill but Man Utd was always going to be an impossible job post-Fergie. Can't speak for Real Sociedad but Sunderland were a lost cause by the time he arrived. He wont be a great success at West Ham but would believe that he'll keep them in the top flight.

If WHU had a truly terrible manager in before like Pardew or Megson for example, I'd be confident Moyes would go in and do a great job turning things around.

but if a decent manager like Bilic couldn't get them playing (and it sounds like they respected him a lot) I fear for old Davie. Don't feel sorry for the man though, he's absolutely loaded and can afford to fail.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2017 at 11:35, Arriba Los Zorros said:

If WHU had a truly terrible manager in before like Pardew or Megson for example, I'd be confident Moyes would go in and do a great job turning things around.

but if a decent manager like Bilic couldn't get them playing (and it sounds like they respected him a lot) I fear for old Davie. Don't feel sorry for the man though, he's absolutely loaded and can afford to fail.

They were pretty good when we won the league though weren't they. It's just gone to pot since. 

Not sure there is any one thing you can isolate as the main cause but moving to the stadium clearly hasn't helped.